Replies

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Don't think there can be any negatives :smile: unless you plan on doing excess miles every single day, which is what I did a few years ago and burned myself out not to mention my poor heels and feet were suffering too (had to let go of my step tracker eventually because I couldn't stand to see less than 20k+ steps a day)

Oh yeah... the other con is how much more shoes and socks cost and how fast you wear out shoes once your average stays over 10k. Don't be fooled by shoes supposedly designed to be "walking" shoes. In this country that just means it is possible to walk in them. It doesn't actually mean they are designed for exercise.

I can buy a lot of shoes vs the cost of poor cardiac health.

How nice for you. Not everyone can. Healthy lifestyle items and food are overpriced because they know we are investing in our wellbeing. Besides that it takes a lot of effort to find the right pair of shoes and not long after you do they replace it with a newer model that sucks.

I jokingly refer to my husband as Goldie locks because of how hard it is for him to find shoes he likes.

Also, I try NOT to purchase items that are designed for “healthy lifestyle” as that simply means they are charging me 200% more than it’s worth 😂 I am very very very frugal 😜

Pretty much the only way I can "interview" shoes now is through Prime Wardrobe or ShoeBacca. To find my recent pair it took trying 16 pairs of shoes. The ones I settled on are not ones I like looking at but it is form over function for me. After finding it I went to a NB outlet store and took advantage of the buy one get half off deals. So I own 3 pairs but one is already been semi-retired to be used for rainy days.

I am barely getting 12 weeks of use out of a pair of shoes currently. Even shopping for deals that is stupid expensive.

Even still I have to use a foot roller.

I was told recently I should look into some expensive inserts. Geez, what is next?

Just to get through ADLs I have to buy supportive shoes with a wide last and broad toes and wear a 1/4 inch lift on one side, and the insoles wear out in three months so I have to buy four pairs of supportive insoles to get through the year with minimal foot pain. (There will be some. Bunions, Morton's toe arthritis in forefeet, traumatic arthritis in the midfoot on one side, collapsed arches, loose ankles, torn tendon in one ankle, and plantar fasciitis.) But what can you do, you have to be able to walk.....
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    none, greatest exercise on earth!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Cons of walking (for me)have more to do with my location: watch out for dogs(I carry pepper spray), lots of stickers, loose rocks and gravel that year up my shoes.
  • HabitRabbit
    HabitRabbit Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies and others with foot problems: Have you tried Hoka shoes? They were game changers for me. Expensive, but cheaper than orthotics, and more effective in my case.

Also re: dog droppings on and near trails. We have a gorgeous paved trail through the woods near me, but it’s less stress on my foot to walk just beside the trail where the surface is spongier. That practice comes with considerable risk.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Just pulled the third tick in a week off my cat. I thought his monthly medicine was for fleas and ticks, but looked and it is just fleas. Would look into a med that covers ticks as well but I just bought another 6 month supply. Will revisit this in the spring.

This wasn't a bad year for ticks on me. The drought helped. I leave outdoor walking shoes in the 3 season room. During the height of tick season I shower immediately after walks and check for ticks. The Lyme carrying ticks are too small to see easily when not engorged with blood, but brushing my skin in the shower is a good way to get rid of them.

More tick tips:

https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/avoid/on_people.html
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Just pulled the third tick in a week off my cat. I thought his monthly medicine was for fleas and ticks, but looked and it is just fleas. Would look into a med that covers ticks as well but I just bought another 6 month supply. Will revisit this in the spring.

This wasn't a bad year for ticks on me. The drought helped. I leave outdoor walking shoes in the 3 season room. During the height of tick season I shower immediately after walks and check for ticks. The Lyme carrying ticks are too small to see easily when not engorged with blood, but brushing my skin in the shower is a good way to get rid of them.

More tick tips:

https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/avoid/on_people.html

Ne PA here, one of the worst parts of the US for deer ticks (those are the ones that carry Lyme). Today I have spent over an hour checking the dogs that go hiking with us. I’ve pulled at least 40 deer ticks off of them crawling around. I usually don’t find many on myself, but the dogs pick up a ton. I don’t like to use medications for it as there are too many nasty side effects to most of the flea and tick preventatives for my tastes.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Don't think there can be any negatives :smile: unless you plan on doing excess miles every single day, which is what I did a few years ago and burned myself out not to mention my poor heels and feet were suffering too (had to let go of my step tracker eventually because I couldn't stand to see less than 20k+ steps a day)

Oh yeah... the other con is how much more shoes and socks cost and how fast you wear out shoes once your average stays over 10k. Don't be fooled by shoes supposedly designed to be "walking" shoes. In this country that just means it is possible to walk in them. It doesn't actually mean they are designed for exercise.

A walking fitness shoe usually means one that doesn't have an elevated heel like a running shoe. So, for instance, a New Balance 928, which is a walking shoe, provides an absolutely flat surface for your feet, whereas an 880, which is a running shoe, tips your foot forward about 10 mm.

I actually prefer running shoes for walking. My walking shoe of choice, the NB 990v5, isn't classified as a "running" shoe (it's a "lifestyle" shoe, whatever that means), but the heel is elevated 12 mm and you can really feel the difference. I have Achilles tendon issues, which are nearly 100 % absent when I use the 990v5s, for the same reason that walking downhill is easier on ankles than walking uphill - less stretch on the tendon.

My only point being that 'walking' shoe isn't just marketing, it s a design thing. At least for fitness brands like NB.

I have peronial tendinitis in both feet from a car accident. It's been 15 months. I'm so *kitten* tired of it.

I have very little soreness if I wear 840v4 all the time. Basically any other shoe for much time and I start hurting.

I feel like now that I figured this out, I might finally heal fully if I wear these all the time and don't let them wear out. I've even slept in them for a middle of them night walk to the bathroom.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

How nice for you. Not everyone can. Healthy lifestyle items and food are overpriced because they know we are investing in our wellbeing. Besides that it takes a lot of effort to find the right pair of shoes and not long after you do they replace it with a newer model that sucks.

I jokingly refer to my husband as Goldie locks because of how hard it is for him to find shoes he likes.

Also, I try NOT to purchase items that are designed for “healthy lifestyle” as that simply means they are charging me 200% more than it’s worth 😂 I am very very very frugal 😜

Pretty much the only way I can "interview" shoes now is through Prime Wardrobe or ShoeBacca. To find my recent pair it took trying 16 pairs of shoes. The ones I settled on are not ones I like looking at but it is form over function for me. After finding it I went to a NB outlet store and took advantage of the buy one get half off deals. So I own 3 pairs but one is already been semi-retired to be used for rainy days.

I am barely getting 12 weeks of use out of a pair of shoes currently. Even shopping for deals that is stupid expensive.

Even still I have to use a foot roller.

I was told recently I should look into some expensive inserts. Geez, what is next?

I didn't know this was a thing. Thank you so much for posting!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

The thing is, if I want to walk I have to buy the walking shoes TODAY. I have to budget for that. I don't necessarily have poor cardiac health today, that's a deferred consequence.

So while having poor cardiac health may be more expensive in the long run, I hope you can understand how the cost of walking shoes/socks would be a potential con, especially for those who are on a tight budget and aren't currently experiencing health problems related to excess weight.

Sorry most people that are walking for health (30 minutes 5X a week) will be fine in any shoes they have. especially if as a beginner they build up to the distance.

OP is walking much more than that, so can you see how it could be a potentially relevant con in HIS situation?