Calorie Counter

Message Boards General Health, Fitness and Diet
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Recommendation for ankle weights

PremGandhiPremGandhi Member Posts: 44 Member Member Posts: 44 Member
Hi peeps, I am planning to wear ankle weights and vest weights in daily life to improve strength. Any body did anything similar? How has been the experience? Anyone with recommendation for buying them?
Thanks for your time and advice
-P.
«1

Replies

  • PremGandhiPremGandhi Member Posts: 44 Member Member Posts: 44 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Don't wear ankle weights. They don't really add any additional calories but can damage your ankles. If you want to know how much extra calorie burn such ankle weights give you for every mile walked use

    your weight in lbs * 1 mile * 0.3
    and then use the same but instead of just your weight use your weight plus the ankle weights.

    So lets say you're 180lbs. This would be 180*1*0.3 = 54 calories per mile walked
    So now you have ankle weights of 6lbs each. Thus that's 12lbs +180lbs = 192lbs
    192*1*0.3 = 57.6 calories per mile walked.

    So at the risk of injuring your ankles you burn approximately 4 calories more per mile walked.

    Thank you yirara for the analysis. I am not planning to use them for calories but for strength. But this calculation is really helpful because it really doesn't have much calorific effect against the risk of an injury to my already damaged ankles.
  • PremGandhiPremGandhi Member Posts: 44 Member Member Posts: 44 Member
    If it’s for walking purposes consider a backpack.

    When I was training for a long walk in Spain (cancelled. Thanks, Covid.) I practiced getting used to my backpack by carrying a similar weight as to what I had planned to pack. I just loaded it up with canned goods surround by soft sweatshirts for simplicity sake.

    It increased the calorie burn a wee bit, but more importantly, after a week or two wearing it for five mile walks it no longer felt like a burden.

    It did make me feel super grateful for having shed 8x the weight of the back pack in body weight, too.

    Okay. I was planning to wear ankle weights and vest weights under my office clothes so that I am exerting some strain on my body throughout the day instead of the 20 minutes of weights at the gym. So having a backpack is slightly impractical- haha. But I see your point. Every little helps. I am thinking now to just get vest weights. They seem to not contribute to injuries and can have an effect.
  • heybalesheybales Member Posts: 18,167 Member Member Posts: 18,167 Member
    Ditto to just vest weights.

    It will effect legs automatically anyway if you think about it.

    Where you might want something is for arms, so wrist weights.

    Then again - I doubt either will increase strength much if already doing weights - you'll just recruit existing muscle more often, not like the body will need more of it to be used in this fashion daily.

    Unless preparing for a backpacking trip getting body used to extra weight, the only time I've heard of ones using weighted vest is to replace weight lost in diet, and that is for exactly the purpose of calorie burn daily - keeping it higher than otherwise would occur.

  • girlwithcurls2girlwithcurls2 Member Posts: 1,993 Member Member Posts: 1,993 Member
    Are you avoiding the gym? You could do a progressive body weight program. You Are Your Own Gym is one. I do it at home and I really enjoy it. Lots of variety, and the workouts are challenging. I'm not sure what your strength goals are though.
  • sarah7591sarah7591 Member Posts: 6 Member Member Posts: 6 Member
    I wear a weighted vest to walk daily. I have osteoporosis and I am hoping that it will help as a weight bearing exercise. Right now I am only using 5lbs in the vest (goes to 8lbs) and it makes a big difference in my workout! I am a runner and thought about running with it on but then was worried it may cause an injury. I really like the vest for walking. Makes a difference for me. Mine is very snug fitting and I really like it.
  • PremGandhiPremGandhi Member Posts: 44 Member Member Posts: 44 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Ditto to just vest weights.

    It will effect legs automatically anyway if you think about it.

    Where you might want something is for arms, so wrist weights.

    Then again - I doubt either will increase strength much if already doing weights - you'll just recruit existing muscle more often, not like the body will need more of it to be used in this fashion daily.

    Unless preparing for a backpacking trip getting body used to extra weight, the only time I've heard of ones using weighted vest is to replace weight lost in diet, and that is for exactly the purpose of calorie burn daily - keeping it higher than otherwise would occur.

    That is very helpful. So your understanding says that it won't help me with strength improvement?
  • PremGandhiPremGandhi Member Posts: 44 Member Member Posts: 44 Member
    Are you avoiding the gym? You could do a progressive body weight program. You Are Your Own Gym is one. I do it at home and I really enjoy it. Lots of variety, and the workouts are challenging. I'm not sure what your strength goals are though.

    No ma'am I do go to the gym 4-5 times a week and also use the weight equipment but my progress is still slow and I want to do something to improve it a bit quicker. I am presuming that a smaller load for a longer duration will help me simulate what a greater weight would get me in the gym. It is something that I am planning over and above the regular workout.
    I lose motivation with home gym. I see the 100 bucks charge on my credit card and it inspires me to hit the gym . Haha.
  • PremGandhiPremGandhi Member Posts: 44 Member Member Posts: 44 Member
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    I wear a weighted vest to walk daily. I have osteoporosis and I am hoping that it will help as a weight bearing exercise. Right now I am only using 5lbs in the vest (goes to 8lbs) and it makes a big difference in my workout! I am a runner and thought about running with it on but then was worried it may cause an injury. I really like the vest for walking. Makes a difference for me. Mine is very snug fitting and I really like it.

    Oh that must be difficult for you to deal with this condition and weight loss together. I have seen a couple of girls who wear vest weights during their cardio session at my gym. They say it helps them. I do a 3.5 mile run almost everyday if it can help with running endurance it would be awesome. Which one do you use? I would like to buy one.
  • heybalesheybales Member Posts: 18,167 Member Member Posts: 18,167 Member
    PremGandhi wrote: »
    Are you avoiding the gym? You could do a progressive body weight program. You Are Your Own Gym is one. I do it at home and I really enjoy it. Lots of variety, and the workouts are challenging. I'm not sure what your strength goals are though.

    No ma'am I do go to the gym 4-5 times a week and also use the weight equipment but my progress is still slow and I want to do something to improve it a bit quicker. I am presuming that a smaller load for a longer duration will help me simulate what a greater weight would get me in the gym. It is something that I am planning over and above the regular workout.
    I lose motivation with home gym. I see the 100 bucks charge on my credit card and it inspires me to hit the gym . Haha.

    It won't help in the same way that heavier weights for less reps will do.

    Think of that logic - wouldn't runners have huge calves and thighs?
    Sprinters do - but that's because of hitting the weights at the gym to improve their short runs.
    Long distance runners, are doing the max you suggest - "smaller load for longer duration", and they do not look like sprinters at all.

    No - use your time more effectively at the gym if this is about improving strength.

    Besides - nothing like having a sucky lifting workout than by doing it with tired muscles that have been carrying around extra weight all day long.
    Not the way to get the most from a strength workout.
  • sgt1372sgt1372 Member Posts: 3,733 Member Member Posts: 3,733 Member
    I've got 2 pairs of ankle wts and a weighted vest that can be loaded w/up to 75#.

    I wear the vest while walking and hiking but I dont know how you can inconspicuously wear one under street clothes.

    Ankle wts can be worn while walking w/o suffering an injury but are supurfluous if 6ou can wear a weighted vest instead.

    I've worn my 4# pair (2# on each ankle) while walking around but I think the benefit is minimal. What nice about these weights is that they are sand filled and are held on w/velco thst mskes them very comfortable to wear anywhere.

    The other pair can carry 10# on each ankle but the weights are steel bars thst are strapped to the ankle w/straps wc makes 5hem really uncomfortable to wear while walking but they are very useful when doingsested or hangong leg lifts, wheen you want a bit more resistance

    The point being, each piece of equipment (like any tool) is designed for a specific use and you just need to select the proper ewuipment that best suits your needssnd intended use.
    edited November 17
  • sarah7591sarah7591 Member Posts: 6 Member Member Posts: 6 Member
    Mine is called the Hyperwear Hyper Vest. It is slim and snug fitting which I really like. You may be able to get away with it and wear it under a sweater or lose fitting shirt. It seems to be catered towards woman. I really like mine for walking. It makes a big difference when walking up hills. Let me know if you do get one and how you like it. Best to you!
  • Dogmom1978Dogmom1978 Member Posts: 1,305 Member Member Posts: 1,305 Member
    I second not getting them at all and just focusing on the weight workout. If you already lift at the gym 4-5 days a week, then these just seem like a waste of money to me.

    Are you following some sort of progressive program? How long have you been lifting for? You say you want to get stronger; are you trying to improve strength or grow muscle or both?
  • PremGandhiPremGandhi Member Posts: 44 Member Member Posts: 44 Member
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    Mine is called the Hyperwear Hyper Vest. It is slim and snug fitting which I really like. You may be able to get away with it and wear it under a sweater or lose fitting shirt. It seems to be catered towards woman. I really like mine for walking. It makes a big difference when walking up hills. Let me know if you do get one and how you like it. Best to you!

    Thank you! I will let you know.
  • PremGandhiPremGandhi Member Posts: 44 Member Member Posts: 44 Member
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    I second not getting them at all and just focusing on the weight workout. If you already lift at the gym 4-5 days a week, then these just seem like a waste of money to me.

    Are you following some sort of progressive program? How long have you been lifting for? You say you want to get stronger; are you trying to improve strength or grow muscle or both?

    I am trying to get stronger. If that entails muscle growth I will do that. Its been about 5 months now since I started weight training. My progress is slow because I am a very cautious individual. What progressive program should I follow in this situation?
    Thanks for the advice. I am now leaning towards not wearing them full day but just add them when my body weight itself is not enough which seems too far of a scenario for now
  • PremGandhiPremGandhi Member Posts: 44 Member Member Posts: 44 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    PremGandhi wrote: »
    Are you avoiding the gym? You could do a progressive body weight program. You Are Your Own Gym is one. I do it at home and I really enjoy it. Lots of variety, and the workouts are challenging. I'm not sure what your strength goals are though.

    No ma'am I do go to the gym 4-5 times a week and also use the weight equipment but my progress is still slow and I want to do something to improve it a bit quicker. I am presuming that a smaller load for a longer duration will help me simulate what a greater weight would get me in the gym. It is something that I am planning over and above the regular workout.
    I lose motivation with home gym. I see the 100 bucks charge on my credit card and it inspires me to hit the gym . Haha.

    It won't help in the same way that heavier weights for less reps will do.

    Think of that logic - wouldn't runners have huge calves and thighs?
    Sprinters do - but that's because of hitting the weights at the gym to improve their short runs.
    Long distance runners, are doing the max you suggest - "smaller load for longer duration", and they do not look like sprinters at all.

    No - use your time more effectively at the gym if this is about improving strength.

    Besides - nothing like having a sucky lifting workout than by doing it with tired muscles that have been carrying around extra weight all day long.
    Not the way to get the most from a strength workout.

    Yep. I am now convinced there is no easy way. I have to put more effort at the gym. I sleep like a baby after workouts so "sucky lifting workout" are welcome.
  • PremGandhiPremGandhi Member Posts: 44 Member Member Posts: 44 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I've got 2 pairs of ankle wts and a weighted vest that can be loaded w/up to 75#.

    I wear the vest while walking and hiking but I dont know how you can inconspicuously wear one under street clothes.

    Ankle wts can be worn while walking w/o suffering an injury but are supurfluous if 6ou can wear a weighted vest instead.

    I've worn my 4# pair (2# on each ankle) while walking around but I think the benefit is minimal. What nice about these weights is that they are sand filled and are held on w/velco thst mskes them very comfortable to wear anywhere.

    The other pair can carry 10# on each ankle but the weights are steel bars thst are strapped to the ankle w/straps wc makes 5hem really uncomfortable to wear while walking but they are very useful when doingsested or hangong leg lifts, wheen you want a bit more resistance

    The point being, each piece of equipment (like any tool) is designed for a specific use and you just need to select the proper ewuipment that best suits your needssnd intended use.

    Understood sir. Currently it seems to me that weights are not the thing that I need. I just need to be more effective at the gym. Thanks for the advice.
  • Dogmom1978Dogmom1978 Member Posts: 1,305 Member Member Posts: 1,305 Member
    PremGandhi wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I've got 2 pairs of ankle wts and a weighted vest that can be loaded w/up to 75#.

    I wear the vest while walking and hiking but I dont know how you can inconspicuously wear one under street clothes.

    Ankle wts can be worn while walking w/o suffering an injury but are supurfluous if 6ou can wear a weighted vest instead.

    I've worn my 4# pair (2# on each ankle) while walking around but I think the benefit is minimal. What nice about these weights is that they are sand filled and are held on w/velco thst mskes them very comfortable to wear anywhere.

    The other pair can carry 10# on each ankle but the weights are steel bars thst are strapped to the ankle w/straps wc makes 5hem really uncomfortable to wear while walking but they are very useful when doingsested or hangong leg lifts, wheen you want a bit more resistance

    The point being, each piece of equipment (like any tool) is designed for a specific use and you just need to select the proper ewuipment that best suits your needssnd intended use.

    Understood sir. Currently it seems to me that weights are not the thing that I need. I just need to be more effective at the gym. Thanks for the advice.

    Yes! More effective at the gym is the way to go. There is no “right” answer to which way you should go about this. There are wrong answers. One wrong answer would be go to the gym and do random strength training exercises. By random, I mean you have no structure, you do different exercises every time you go, you don’t track how much weight/reps/sets. Then months later you ask “how come I’m not stronger”?

    Personally, I do 4-5 sets per exercise of 10-15 reps per set. If the weight I’m doing gets too easy (I could easily push past 15 reps), I know it’s time for me to increase the weight. I have a full gym in my basement though, so it’s easy for me to do that. I have an upper/lower split 4 days a week that I follow. My goal is to get stronger and this is working for me. If you do a google search though, you will find a million different methods though, so you have to pick one that would work for your situation.
Sign In or Register to comment.