Where to from here? Cut or bulk?

Hi all,

A bit of background around me. I am a 26 years old male, height 178cm. Since I was a kid I have always been overweight, and in my early 20s I became obese (approx 96kg). A couple of years ago, I went a stringent diet (1,500kcal/day, no carbs other than those in vegetables) for a year plus exercise and got all the way down to 66kg. :blush:

Last summer I tried putting on some muscle by training resistance/strength at the gym 4x/week and eating at a surplus (approx. 3000,kcal/day) but really I think I only put on fat. (I went up from 70ish kg in spring to 77 a couple of months ago) Since lockdown, I have been eating at a deficit and moving to cardio (3x10km runs/week) and am now down to 73.1kg.

I guess my ideal weight is about 71kg, so should be able to achieve that in the next month. My question is where to from there? I look 'skinny fat' (Ie: Very thin arms, but belly fat...) Not sure how to improve. :(

Replies

• ExpressoLove11
    ExpressoLove11 Posts: 337 Member
    Agreed with the above poster. When I hit goal weight last October I was skinny fat but am getting leaner thanks to recomp and counting macros. It is slow going but a worthwhile process.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

A recomp at maintenance or a very slight surplus is what I'd recommend as well. 3000 cal/day probably put you around at least a 500 cal/day surplus, if not closer to 700; that rate of gain explains the unwanted fat addition. Lyle McDonald recommends a surplus of at most roughly 175 cal/day per this article: https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/calories-for-muscle-gain

It doesn't sound like much but ideally you want just enough to support MPS and no more to mitigate fat gains.

That also assumes you're on a well structured lifting program, eating sufficient protein (min of 1.3 g/kg body weight), and adequate recovery. There are a ton of links to free program on the r/fitness subreddit wiki.
  • dashma94
    dashma94 Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you all! :) I'll give it a few more weeks to reach a weight 70-71 and then work on that!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    It's hard to make a real recommendation without seeing pictures. One of the first things I would do is get on a structure lifting program (one focused on hypertrophy like PHAT or PHUL) and ensure you are eating adequate protein (110-140g).

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    If you aren't strength/weight training effectively absolutely don't bulk - you will just get fatter, with a big calorie surplus you will just get fatter faster. Would suggest in future you really need to avoid rapid weight loss and rapid weight gain - neither will help your apparent goals.

If you are under-muscled then training appropriately to address that is your #1 priority. Don't wait until you hit your goal weight.

Defintely agree with the thought that pictures would help, 9 out of 10 people who describe themselves as "skinny fat" on these boards actually aren't - they are just normal weight, average fat levels and under-trained.
  • dashma94
    dashma94 Posts: 8 Member
    I see, thanks all!

For 178cm, 26 yo male what weight do you recommend I would target without any specific resistance training at present? I am thinking 70-71. In the meantime, I'll start weight lifting too.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    dashma94 wrote: »
    I see, thanks all!

For 178cm, 26 yo male what weight do you recommend I would target without any specific resistance training at present? I am thinking 70-71. In the meantime, I'll start weight lifting too.

Impossible to answer your question - depending on your build and current muscularity and ultimate physique goal there's a wide range of good/best weights.