December 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Teresa502 and @shanaber and @quilteryoyo - it is a lovely scene downtown that I'm glad I took the time to appreciate because I'm not down there much these days. I'm in Syracuse NY, which is usually quite snowy this time of year but I'm sure it's coming eventually.

@Teresa502 that sounds like such a great cause to come together and I'm glad you were able to do it, although a day late.

@eleanorhawkins great job on your distance PR! Well done! So many emotions, but glad it was so good for your soul.

@Scott6255 great run. Glad you got a little time with your kids before they left too.

@Faebert I hope you are feeling better.

Nice running with the kids @polskagirl01. And well done on your Morning Mile! Running fast for a mile is definitely not easy, it totally stresses me out. Great job getting a PB on your route.

@quilteryoyo I'm sorry about your rough day and all things you that are falling on you to do. I hope you get things organized in ways that will help ease the stress and that you will get the help you need. Let go of what you can, scream when you need to.

@shanaber I'm sorry your hamstring is still hurting. Hopefully your walking will help and it will continue to heal up and you'll be back to running soon. I don't blame you for not wanting to go in to see a doctor right now. You had some great goals this year for consistency and strength and you did very well despite the setbacks. That will serve you well going forward, and hopefully a better year with fewer challenges ahead!

@martaindale I also like your goal sabbatical concept. I'm using that. Well done on the 10k PRs and getting back your climbing fitness. You'll be ready to reach your goals in 2021.

@HonuNui amazing photo of the volcano. And the food.

I'm going to revisit my 2020 goals soon so I'll be back with a report on how the year did not turn out as expected (shocking!).
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Hi all - I set up a 2021 Run the Year group if anyone is interested in joining us (individually or as part of a team) or if you just want to follow along with us!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10819062/2021-run-the-year-group#latest
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,959 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 That looks like a cold, slippery run, but beautiful. That last picture looks exactly like one of the roads next to my house.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Just searched out what I wrote down in the January thread as my goals. I was nursing a sore knee and wary of tempting fate. Still....

- In a perfect world my goals for the first half of the year are to run my first trail race, a 10km on Feb 8th, my first trail HM on Feb 28th and a road HM on March 22, then we have a week long hiking holiday over easter and I'm signing up for a road 10km on May 10th.
    - I also want to continue with daily yoga, and I MUST make myself resume regular strength training.

I was unable to run the trail 10km in Feb because I was in bed with a nasty bout of tonsilitis. I didn't dare sign up for the trail HM on Feb 28th because I was still not fully recovered. With hindsight I sorely regretted that decision as it was the last race held here before things started to cancel. March 22nd road HM: initially postponed to November, now postponed to November 2021. Hiking holiday: cancelled. May 10km: cancelled. Every other race I'd intended running: cancelled.

The yoga has been a great success, I haven't checked but I don't think I've missed more than a day or two at a time.
    Strength training continues to be a disaster, I never seem to manage to find time. Really must work on that in 2021.

ETA: A question to the group... anyone have experience with running and blood pressure medication? I've been kind of borderline for many years but now it seems to have rocketed, possibly something to do with all the stress of the last few months. My mother has been on medication since she was in her early 40s, and I'll be 43 on Friday so I'm pretty resigned to being prescribed meds. My doctor is supposed to be phoning me later today anyway to give me the Covid results that we were already given by message on Friday, so I will talk to him about it.
    Just curious as to whether starting new meds and getting it regulated is going to make me pass out on runs or anything because I run alone, usually in the middle of nowhere.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,959 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom That looks like a really "cool" place to run. I hope Skip is okay!

@katharmonic ! You did fantastic this year. All the things you didn't do were out of your control. You're awesome.

@kgirlhart You did great on your goals too. Being stressed with all that went on this year is not a failure in my book. You survived and are doing good. Great job on you 8 mile run yesterday.

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    12-1 rest + yoga
    12-2 7k treadmill + resistance bands
    12-3 7k treadmill + yoga
    12-4 7k slow + resistance bands
    12-5 7k slow + yoga
    12-6 7k slow
    12-7 7k easy + resistance bands
    12-8 rest + yoga
    12-9 7k easy + resistance bands
    12-10 7k easy-ish + yoga
    12-11 7k moderate-ish + resistance bands
    12-12 5k treadmill + yoga
    12-13 7k slow
    12-14 7k slow + resistance bands
    12-15 rest + yoga
    12-16 6k slow + resistance bands
    12-17 5k treadmill + yoga
    12-18 rest + resistance bands
    12-19 7k slow + yoga
    12-20 5k treadmill
    12-21 7k easy + resistance bands
    12-22 rest + yoga
    12-23 7k slow + resistance bands
    12-24 5k treadmill + yoga
    12-25 rest
    12-26 5k treadmill + yoga
    12-27 6k treadmill
    12-28 7k slow + resistance bands

December Total: 142k
    December Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k
    June Total: 156k
    July Total: 180k
    August Total: 172k
    September Total: 176k
    October Total: 189k
    November Total: 180k

2020 Total through November: 1953k

LIVE total for 2020: 2095k

Cloudy, mid 30s F, and a nasty wind out of the southwest. A lot of our snow melted overnight; just one of the side streets was a little icy/slushy. Saw a lot of geese flying around, looking for something green to eat.

@eleanorhawkins I was on blood pressure meds for a long time; finally got off them when I lost weight and maintained my running. They actually ended up making my BP too low, and started affecting me when I would go from sitting to standing.

@noblsheep Great pictures of Tibet.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs -- Fail
    Run at least 4 5k races -- Fail
    Get a 5k PR -- Fail
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles - Completed 10-11
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020 - Completed 12-12
    Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders -- Completed 9-29

2020 races:

9-8 to 9-13 "Virtual Boston with Vincent" Time goal 5:15:00; actual time 4:47:01
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,058 Member
    Options
    Good job everyone on doing the best you can on goals this year. So many plans made with the best of intentions!

@noblsheep Great pictures! Tibet is one of many places on my travel bucket list.

@eleanorhawkins Re: BP meds and running. Especially if you are currently not on any meds, take it slow with running and adding in meds initially. If possible, stick closer to home and do some easier runs (not anything that is super taxing like speed work or fast pace work) to start with. And make sure you walk after your runs to let your heartrate and BP normalize a little before you stop moving entirely. Hopefully it won't affect you too much but like @Tramboman mentioned, BP meds can cause dizziness and lightheadedness as your body adjusts to the lower baseline BP. There are plenty of people who run with BP meds but even in those who don't run, it can take some time to get meds optimized for any particular person.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman @martaindale thanks, yeah, it's the dizziness and stuff that worries me. I haven't been doing any speed work for some time now, but I have been finding I've started feeling lightheaded towards the end of long runs but was putting it down to lack of fuel as I run on coffee and a banana and have also been on a deficit for a few months losing the lockdown pounds.
    I've been at threshold levels for probably 15 years and admittedly I hadn't thought to check it for probably a year or so. It isn't all that high, but high enough to need something doing about it.
    Worryingly though, the doctor (who phoned me to confirm my negative PCR and obviously wasn't expecting me to come out with BP worries!) didn't even bother talking about weight, diet, lifestyle or anything. Though the only things I could even try to do would be cut out caffeine anyway. He just happily prescribed a mild medication and told me we'd talk in a few weeks to see how it's going.
    I've taken one, and 5 hours later my BP is the lowest I've seen it since I was taken off the meds they gave me for it at the end of pregnancy. So yeah, I'm not sure if they will make it drop too much. If so, I may experiment for myself with cutting them in half. I also think I'll probably take them after I get home from running rather than beforehand just in case.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying reading everyones review of their goals! Seems like so many took a hit from Covid as expected but others we all did fairly well on! Maybe all those racing and travel related goals can be moved over to later in 2021?

@Teresa502 - beautiful pictures! That road looks like where I lived as a kid. We loved it when the road got like that and we could run and slide all the way along it!
    @skippygirlsmom - Wow that is cold for you all! I hope Skip is nice and warm now!
    @noblsheep - Tibet looks fantastic! Were you able to get in some runs while you were there? I am sorry you are having another Covid breakout! We just can't seem to get it even slightly under control here. We are expecting an extension of our stay at home order in So CA since the rates are so high and ICU beds are at 0%. It was supposed to expire today but I don't see how that could happen now. I am figuring probably another 3 weeks at least.
    @eleanorhawkins - I have not run on BP meds but I would also make sure you always start out with a walk. I think you typically do that anyway but it will give your body time to adjust and see how you feel while closer to home. If you have a HR monitor I would also track your HR as like @Tramboman said, it can make your HR drop really low.

I woke up to pouring rain this morning. On the one hand YAY! We need rain and haven't had any for so long. But on the other hand dragging myself out for a rainy walk is tough. A rain run I would love a rain walk - not so much... I am seeing a patch of blue sky though so maybe I can zip out for a quick walk while the rain stops for a bit!