December 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• 62Rich
    62Rich Posts: 26 Member
    HonuNui wrote: »
    December Goal Do something every day....

12/1 2.50

Total 2.50

exercise.png

Everyday ... yuppers. I'm doing the holiday streak... trying to get back in to running.
  • 62Rich
    Morning!

Wrapped up November with 240.59!

Im in for a minimum of 200 again for December.

it was 23F this morning. Fartlek. Felt amazing and the cold wasn't at all what I thought it would be. Everything around me was frozen yet I was not. Everything was in sync and clicked. It was probably my best 4am run up to this point. Cloud. Nine.

I still can't get over how 23F seemed so scary until I was in it and it was fine. I have asthma and I was so scared "Mama I am about to DIE," but that's not what happened at all.

So anyway, that was my run. Come at me, December.

Great goal of 200! It's cold down here in Alabama (mid 20's) as I'm getting back into trying to run.... in the cold weather I get really tight and wheezing. I've never been diagnosed with asthma, I'm calling it myself as exercise induced asthma. So when it's cold, I do have an inhaler that I use before I run and it helps.... a LOT. Stay safe.
  • 62Rich
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Has anyone done a 24 hour challenge? I'm looking at doing the Yeti virtual 24 hour challenge so 5 miles every 4 hours for 24 hours but not sure how one trains for that? Or of you just wing it 🤣

i did it. it was fun.
    i had been attempting to build up to a regular 50k so my volume was up.

I'm also doing their 12 days of Christmas challenge. which is terrifying but i'm excited

Good morning, just curious... what is the 12 days of Christmas Challenge? I'm just getting back into running and I'm doing the Holiday Streak.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,940 Member
    edited December 2020
    @Scott6255 Sorry your asthma acted up, but great job on hanging in there and getting it done. I'm with you on temperatures. I'm a wimp when it comes to cold temperatures. Possibly because I don't have the proper clothing. I spend a lot of my winter months on the treadmill.

@katharmonic That's awesome mileage!

@kgirlhart Great job of getting out there and running in the cold, at 5 am. To me, that is amazing!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    62Rich wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Has anyone done a 24 hour challenge? I'm looking at doing the Yeti virtual 24 hour challenge so 5 miles every 4 hours for 24 hours but not sure how one trains for that? Or of you just wing it 🤣

i did it. it was fun.
    i had been attempting to build up to a regular 50k so my volume was up.

I'm also doing their 12 days of Christmas challenge. which is terrifying but i'm excited

Good morning, just curious... what is the 12 days of Christmas Challenge? I'm just getting back into running and I'm doing the Holiday Streak.

Every day the directors email us a distance to run for 12 days. posted a link yesterday. anywhere between 0 to 13
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    noblsheep wrote: »
    1202-5k, total-5k goal-70k

It was pretty cold today - comfortably freezing was the term that came to mind around the 3km mark when my toes finally started feeling warm. I love this weather!

Weather forecasts have -15C in the books for next week (that's around 5 degrees F) and I'm somewhere between excited and terrified.

I'd be down toward the terrified end.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    @noblsheep Terrified for me too, same as @tramboman. That sounds horrible.

But also. It sounds really fun.

@Tramboman A FOOT of snow?!

I was looking at some photos of Courtney Dewaulter running in the snow in Colorado in the mountains in basketball shorts and a long sleeved shirt and trail shoes. I just keep wondering how in the world she is keeping her feet dry. ?!!?!?!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,940 Member
    @Camaramandy648 You are a beast. I can't imagine getting up at 3:40 to go out for a run.

@mbaker566 Glad your coach is really helping you get back into consistently running.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    12/1 – 6 miles
    12/2 – 10K day

12 of 125 miles

@katharmonic great mileage glad the shoulder is feeling better! Skip has decided after she graduates she wants to move to Colorado or Utah.
    @Scott6255 it was 21F when I went out this morning, honestly it’s all about dressing right, though I’m a wind wimp. Now I’m ready to get back to real Alabama weather thank you very much.
    @shanaber great you got the course to yourselves, must have been crazy going over and over. I don’t think we get 14% humidity here in the dead of winter ha ha
    @62Rich where in Alabama, I’m in Huntsville area – the moon was so pretty this morning wasn’t it?
    @Carmaramandy648 wool socks, that’s what I wear in the rain and if we have any snow. Keeps the feet dry and warm

Races:
    150.8 of 250 miles Yuletide Madness

Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May - done
    The Big Run - June 3 - done
    NEGU virtual run - June - Team NEGU helping support kids with cancer - done
    Big Foot Wild Thangs Trail Race 5K/10K – June 20 on the trails…all together like a real race - done
    Run 4 on the 4th – Virtual 4 miles on 4th of July - done
    ISS Virtual 5K in July – done
    Jackalope Trail Run 4 miler – done
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach – done
    Scooby Doo Virtual 10K - done
    Skunk Ape 5 miler August 1 trail race in person – done
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June – August – done
    Chupacabra 10K/HM – August 22 - done
    Running of the Bulls Virtual 5K – 9/14 – 30/2020 - done
    The Pinhoti Trail Challenge 335 miles virtual – 1 Sept to 31 Dec – done
    PinkPumpkin 10K – completed 10/30
    2020 Liberty Road Challenge WWII soldiers journey from St. Mere Eglisde to Bastogne, Belgium – charity virtual run for the WII museum in New Orleans 716 miles team event 4 July – September – our team has finished
    Space Race 400K Challenge 12 weeks running 248.5 miles to the ISS – August to November – done
    Bridge Street HM Virtual – 10/24 – 11/7/2020 – virtual done
    Halloween 5K virtual with Fleet Feet – 10/31/2020 - done
    Yuletide Madness Oct 31 – Dec 31 2020
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon – October – running virtual - done
    Cathedral Caverns 15K trail race – in person – done
    Virtual Turkey Trot 5K – done
    Downtown HSV Charity run 5K - done

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,700 Member
    December Goal – 120 miles
    12/1 – 1.05 miles
    12/2 – 6.41 miles

Looks like most everyone except maybe @shanaber, @ContraryMaryMary and @Avidkeo is running in colder weather this week. When I headed out at 5 am today it was 25F with a feels like of 18F. It wasn’t bad though after I got moving. Perfect motivation to keep moving too.

@kimbeers – My hat is off to you and anyone who runs with a child in a jogging stroller!
    @mbaker566 – I’m hoping the longer mileage of that challenge will be on the weekend. If its during the week, I may have to break it up to some before work and the rest afterwards.
    @shanaber – Glad the hammie is doing good. I’ve always thought the Surf City half marathon was a neat one (it’s on my must do someday list) so I hope you get to have it in person in September.
    @quilteryoyo – Hope the scan shows no growth.
    I ran under that same beautiful moon this morning @62Rich!
    Wow a foot of snow @Tramboman! We only had about an inch and that was too much for me!

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    @teresa502 me too. i really don't have more than a 90 at a time to run.