What’s unique/unusual about where you live?

Options

Replies

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    LaneaJ wrote: »
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    If there's a tiny chance of snow we cancel everything. 1 year they decided to play the odds ...and snowmaggedon happened 😬 many people slept in gas stations or convenice stores over night.

Lol - it’s the same here - word of snow and everyone hits the Walmart’s to get all
    The necessities just in case that in or two snows them in 😂

Can someone explain to me at what point snow storm, or any storm necessities became milk and bread? 🤦🏻‍♀️

📢 PSA...For reasons unknown southern power lines aren't built for accumulation. They are Cat 3 hurricane resistant, but a .10" of ice or snow and they're down. Please expect the milk you purchased in a panic to spoil. That is all. 📢

So we also enjoy good ole hurricane tropical storm days too. Power was out for us 3 days recently...got coolers and ice to try and preserve necessities like ketchup and beer.

Can confirm: We do this. Ice machines were out of ice and they were having to long-distance haul ice from neighboring states because so many of us were without power for a week or more. Generators are expensive, so most people don't own them.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Kids who graduate from high school in town, with good enough grades, get their college paid for so long as it’s in-state

Wow! That’s great!
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You guys ever hear of Jumbo the elephant? We killed him with a locomotive.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I regularly encounter huge pine cones out on the trails, some even larger than this.They are from the Coulter pine which produces the heaviest cone of any pine tree and is only native to the Ca coast. The cones are also called “widowmakers” :o
    q8yxxwihr34m.jpeg
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    I regularly encounter huge pine cones out on the trails, some even larger than this.They are from the Coulter pine which produces the heaviest cone of any pine tree and is only native to the Ca coast. The cones are also called “widowmakers” :o
    q8yxxwihr34m.jpeg

As someone who has a fear of dying in a dumb way (you know, like from slapshot when you're enjoying prime seats at a hockey game), this one - the "widowmaker" - wouldn't be so bad 🤷🏾‍♀️
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Tfw you have two butcher shops in a 300m radius but both are halal and your favourite meat is pork :/

Merguez is pretty good, though (but a bit too spicy).
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Yoshiboobs wrote: »
    We have Spanish moss and gators. Well in my home town in SC. When I moved to NC I was shocked to find that they have neither.
    Get out my swamp!
    I didn't realize how beautiful it was until I left. The gators you know 😁🐊

@Yoshiboobs I have always thought you looked familiar; now I'm wonder if we haven't met at some point in time.

I grew up on a small farm in the midlands of SC. I think the thing about my hometown that stands out the most is the endless red clay fields that propagate everything from soybeans and tobacco to cotton and peaches. There are a few antebellum homes still around and there are now 4 stop lights instead of the 1 downtown. And as Yoshiboobs stated, the moss hanging from the trees amid the black water swamps reminiscent of scenes from The Notebook.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    We have zero Walmarts in our city. And our in state post high school education is paid for.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I am from Southern California, Los Angeles originally, but live in the Inland empire now. We have mountains, beach, forest, chaparral, and desert all within 90 min drive.

Where I live now we have burrowing owls which I think is super cool. You can also find almost any cuisine here since it is so diverse.

I am always in awe of Australia and New Zealand and hope to visit one day. I love how there are wild cockatoos and kakapo!
  • Yoshiboobs
    Yoshiboobs Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    We have Spanish moss and gators. Well in my home town in SC. When I moved to NC I was shocked to find that they have neither.
    Get out my swamp!

@Yoshiboobs I have always thought you looked familiar; now I'm wonder if we haven't met at some point in time.

I grew up on a small farm in the midlands of SC. I think the thing about my hometown that stands out the most is the endless red clay fields that propagate everything from soybeans and tobacco to cotton and peaches. There are a few antebellum homes still around and there are now 4 stop lights instead of the 1 downtown. And as Yoshiboobs stated, the moss hanging from the trees amid the black water swamps reminiscent of scenes from The Notebook.

I was coastal, a small town close to Charleston. I live in fear of the day someone from real life reads the crap I post here 😂 Never really made it out of the general neighboring towns until heading to Charlotte so unless you were in the area it was my evil (or good) twin.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I live in a place where one can buy pre-seasoned crawdads (crayfish) from nearly every supermarket, fishmonger and food market. Catfish is a common fish found in most supermarkets here and we have gumbo... on pizza.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    Get out my swamp!

I was coastal, a small town close to Charleston. I live in fear of the day someone from real life reads the crap I post here 😂 Never really made it out of the general neighboring towns until heading to Charlotte so unless you were in the area it was my evil (or good) twin.

I'm from a low country town as well. We also had a townhouse in Indian Trail/Matthews for about 5 or 6 yrs.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    The housewives here are lonely & bitter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I live in a small, quiet, rural village...lots of little farms, horses, livestock, etc and we are surrounded on 3 sides by the 2 largest cities in the state...go South and you're in Albuquerque proper in about 10 minutes. Go North or West and you are in Rio Rancho proper in about 10 minutes. To our direct East is tribal land.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    The housewives here are lonely & bitter.

Low hanging fruit, my friend. Low hanging fruit.

ewzz1dekr8ce.gif
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    I have the Cradle of Mankind a few minutes drive from me. We can check out where Mrs Ples was discovered (the actual dig site has been preserved). That's pretty cool. We also have some awesome wildlife. Just please don't pet the lions. They are wild animals and carnivores

This is so cool, I'd love to see that dig site.. I watch a lot of archaeology shows.

I'll refrain from patting the lions 😁