What’s unique/unusual about where you live?

Options

Replies

• Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I have the Cradle of Mankind a few minutes drive from me. We can check out where Mrs Ples was discovered (the actual dig site has been preserved). That's pretty cool. We also have some awesome wildlife. Just please don't pet the lions. They are wild animals and carnivores

This is so cool, I'd love to see that dig site.. I watch a lot of archaeology shows.

I'll refrain from patting the lions 😁

Let me know when you come. I'll set up a room for you!
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I have the Cradle of Mankind a few minutes drive from me. We can check out where Mrs Ples was discovered (the actual dig site has been preserved). That's pretty cool. We also have some awesome wildlife. Just please don't pet the lions. They are wild animals and carnivores

Okay, personally.. I think this is super cool. I love being able to visit archeological sites.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    So as not to scare everyone with the thought of Australian killer snakes and spiders we also do have a lot of unique and cute wildlife that won't try to kill you. Koalas, wallabies, kangaroos, echidna, wombats, Tasmanian devils.. the list goes on.
    g056onsown13.gif

Jo, 8 of the 10 deadliest snakes in the world live in your backyard. Nothing else matters.

Don't forget the Speiders & them CrocaDials.

It sounds like the perfect place for a prison colony.

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    So as not to scare everyone with the thought of Australian killer snakes and spiders we also do have a lot of unique and cute wildlife that won't try to kill you. Koalas, wallabies, kangaroos, echidna, wombats, Tasmanian devils.. the list goes on.
    g056onsown13.gif

Jo, 8 of the 10 deadliest snakes in the world live in your backyard. Nothing else matters.

Don't forget the Speiders & them CrocaDials.

It sounds like the perfect place for a prison colony.

Ikr.. what better punishment than to send them to a place of sunshine and tropical paradise.. take that you criminals 😁

Don't worry the snakes, spiders and crocs won't get ya.. the great whites, irukandji and stonefish will 😂
  • tmantwo
    tmantwo Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    ^ or Jo’s basement from what I hear.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    tmantwo wrote: »
    ^ or Jo’s basement from what I hear.

bz2504caw4a1.gif
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    John Denver’s grandma’s feather bed— where I grew up
  • Danw586
    Danw586 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    People are generally cold/stuck-up/unfriendly. There is also a blend of New Yorkers who are straight up blunt / in your face. I like that quality at least.

Whenever I visit the south or Midwest people actually wave at strangers or say hello. Here you might get a single finger...
  • Danw586
    Options
    There are a lot of war memorials dating back to the revolutionary war here. I enjoy visiting them and seeing where battles were fought or where Gen Washington stationed his troops for a winter, etc...
  • Danw586
    Options
    About 50% of the people at my gym in the morning are immigrants from Brazil.

Although the women hog the squad rack in the morning, the guys don’t seem to mind...I just work in...
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I don't think we've ever shut down everything here for snow, other than the time we got 48" of it overnight. And there were still some people who made it into work.

But we don't get hurricanes or tornadoes or earthquakes, or poisonous snakes. And I think we may account for producing the most NHL players, although I'm not 100% sure.
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    I don't think we've ever shut down everything here for snow, other than the time we got 48" of it overnight. And there were still some people who made it into work.

But we don't get hurricanes or tornadoes or earthquakes, or poisonous snakes. And I think we may account for producing the most NHL players, although I'm not 100% sure.

I can't remember anywhere around here (SW Ontario) ever shutting down because of snow either. Worst case is the school buses get shut down if the roads get too icy.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,562 Member
    Options
    It gets cold here. Really cold in the winter. Our average temp are usually around -26C (-14F), but every year we tend to spend a few weeks around -40.

But it doesn't stop us. We still go tobogganing, skating, and I have friends that run outside every single day.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,562 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Oh and our kids go out to play at recess all the way down to - 26C and then they get indoor recess. Unless their parents sign a waiver and they dress appropriately, then they can go out until - 35C. School is cancelled if it's - 45C in the morning because the buses don't run very well and it's dangerous for the kids to wait for the bus.
  • toriann319
    toriann319 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    No one will every be able to find the bodies...
    If the situation ever arises... #TheSwamp
    Also, it can be 35 in the morning and 92 by noon.
    And to be the sunshine state, it rains more. Even when the sun is blistering your face.
    Honestly, it's unique because it's bipolar.