GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    3hh4pcn03ftq.jpg
    I got to the gym earlier than normal last night. It was significantly busier than my normal time. I couldn't get to all of the equipment I needed so the workout was cut short last night. I'll be sure to be back at my normal time tonight to make up for the lifts I missed on. Days like yesterday that makes me think investing in a home gym would be worth it.

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,558 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

The start of week 1/5 was decent despite leaving 1100 calories on the table yesterday. Let see how tomorrow belted pulls go 😉.

I am just in awe of the volume you push. Incredible and so smooth. Just wow.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    dsc84 wrote: »
    3hh4pcn03ftq.jpg
    I got to the gym earlier than normal last night. It was significantly busier than my normal time. I couldn't get to all of the equipment I needed so the workout was cut short last night. I'll be sure to be back at my normal time tonight to make up for the lifts I missed on. Days like yesterday that makes me think investing in a home gym would be worth it.

It's funny, but I sit here and wish I had a gym membership because I want access to so many machines / equipment / plates I don't have... and yet I forget that they have to actually be FREE to use too!

Great work, inspite of the busy-ness!
  • dsc84
    Options
    3hh4pcn03ftq.jpg

It's funny, but I sit here and wish I had a gym membership because I want access to so many machines / equipment / plates I don't have... and yet I forget that they have to actually be FREE to use too!

Great work, in spite of the busy-ness!

Don't get me wrong it's nice to have the access, it just means I have to go at non-prime times to guarantee access. So between 8PM and 4AM. Gym closes at 10 PM and opens at 4:30 AM, but with the 24 hour pass late nights are fine if you don't mind not sleeping :smile:

Every gym is different though. Mine is a commercial gym, and through my wife's work my membership is $15/month so I can't pass it up. But with it comes the lifters of every type (Teens, ego, experienced, talkers, etc. etc.) and it just creates chaos sometimes, and fills up other opportunities.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    3hh4pcn03ftq.jpg

Don't get me wrong it's nice to have the access, it just means I have to go at non-prime times to guarantee access. So between 8PM and 4AM. Gym closes at 10 PM and opens at 4:30 AM, but with the 24 hour pass late nights are fine if you don't mind not sleeping :smile:

Every gym is different though. Mine is a commercial gym, and through my wife's work my membership is $15/month so I can't pass it up. But with it comes the lifters of every type (Teens, ego, experienced, talkers, etc. etc.) and it just creates chaos sometimes, and fills up other opportunities.

I was never comfortable around other people at the gym in college so I'd often go at midnight or first thing Saturday/Sunday morning when everyone else was hungover. Can't imagine that would change now. I'll take my furry interlopers over other people any day.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    3hh4pcn03ftq.jpg

I was never comfortable around other people at the gym in college so I'd often go at midnight or first thing Saturday/Sunday morning when everyone else was hungover. Can't imagine that would change now. I'll take my furry interlopers over other people any day.

Yeah, I am so self conscious that I get severe anxiety thinking about going to an actual gym, with other people.

Part of me wants to be where the people are, and a bigger part of me is afraid of them. Lol
  • steveko89
    Options
    3hh4pcn03ftq.jpg

Yeah, I am so self conscious that I get severe anxiety thinking about going to an actual gym, with other people.

Part of me wants to be where the people are, and a bigger part of me is afraid of them. Lol

It wasn't until I had my own stuff that I felt "allowed" to lift like I do now. Even when it was just me at the rec in college I didn't feel like I belonged or deserved to lift with free weights. That self-doubt and self-identity was tough to break but I had to work through those "who are you even kidding with this?" type thoughts alone in my basement, away from theoretical judgemental eyes (except for the cats, of course). There was a long time I couldn't even trust my thoughts and self-talk if I listened to music while lifting so I started listening to sports radio/podcasts and that let me focus.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    3hh4pcn03ftq.jpg

It wasn't until I had my own stuff that I felt "allowed" to lift like I do now. Even when it was just me at the rec in college I didn't feel like I belonged or deserved to lift with free weights. That self-doubt and self-identity was tough to break but I had to work through those "who are you even kidding with this?" type thoughts alone in my basement, away from theoretical judgemental eyes (except for the cats, of course). There was a long time I couldn't even trust my thoughts and self-talk if I listened to music while lifting so I started listening to sports radio/podcasts and that let me focus.

Yeah... I feel similar. I think if I went to one now, I'd be a bit more confident in myself. I'd still be nervous, but I think I'd feel less like an imposter.
  • dsc84
    Options

I feel this. What helped me is that when I first started lifting seriously, I worked with a trainer. She was phenomenal. Big on form and function over weight on the bar. As we continued to work together we moved from the private studio to the main gym- 1) Because the numbers I was starting to lift was starting to exceed what was available in the studio and 2) She wanted me to get used to being out in the main gym more. Almost conditioned me. Her intention with me was never to have me as a full time client, but to help me, build confidence, and have me be on my own.

I'm not a super social person so that's why I tend to be more annoyed when the gym is busy. The one thing I've learned however, is if they are there to seriously put in the work they don't care what you're doing as long as it doesn't effect them. If they aren't there to be serious, they probably don't know proper form or have anything to help me improve so I stopped caring.

I do think it's human nature to watch, and I do. Especially when someone does a huge lift because it's super gratifying to see them succeed. You do get to know others, and there can be a sense of community, I just don't tend to jive with the crowd that rushes in for social hour right after work. My people are the ones that are there after 730 that are there to get in the work and accomplish goals. We don't know each other by name, but we certainly notice when the other accomplishes something and that alone is exciting.

I'd still prefer a home gym, but until that actually makes financial sense and I don't have desire to use cables, and other specialty implements I'll keep going to the gym- but I will more than likely be looking for something different sooner than later.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    a0dw6lcucisc.jpg
    Baby steps...
    I use the gym at work. At most, I'll share it with 3 people. Usually, I'm by myself. But we only have free weights, no machines. I've considered a gym membership, especially when they offer discounts, but I just have this fear of having to share with others and feeling uncomfortable...plus I think they have more smith machines than squat racks.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    a0dw6lcucisc.jpg
    Baby steps...
    I use the gym at work. At most, I'll share it with 3 people. Usually, I'm by myself. But we only have free weights, no machines. I've considered a gym membership, especially when they offer discounts, but I just have this fear of having to share with others and feeling uncomfortable...plus I think they have more smith machines than squat racks.

The last gym membership I had was for a tiny gym and they had one squat rack. ONE. I hated it because I do not feel comfy working in, and my time was so short that I needed that equipment when I got there.

There is a gym in town now that is meant for power and Oly lifters. I am really interested in that place because I heard they have lots of racks and plates. *drools*

But probably also lots of really strong people. Haha
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options
    I am the weakest person at my gym. No question. But this is why I do it, and I figure screw ‘em if they don’t take the time to understand. Lifting has helped me with yoga goals.

And if it’s any comfort, I’m more embarrassed to share my lifting figures here. I value y’all, because you’ve been where I’ve been.

I’d rather achieve a new pose than a heavy anything, although gains there excite me, too.

e2oma7o1kvcp.jpeg

This position doesn’t look hard but requires a lot of flexibility and core.
    yjlt4s8vpr2b.jpeg

MOBILITY GOALS!!! - dude I’ve been trying to focus on my flexibility yoga training at least 4 times a a week Albeit short sessions. Being able to move fluidly helps every lift
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    I can't even touch my toes. I am hugely impressed! Awesomeness!! ❤️
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,363 Member
    Options
    3hh4pcn03ftq.jpg

I'd change my gym for a homegym like yours any day, including the furrs (well probably because of the furrs)
    I hate talking to people in the gym, and i always keep my headphones on, even if i do not have any music playing.
    It's my way of saying *kitten* off, i do not wanna talk.

I am lucky my gym is around the corner of my home and work. And i can workout during my lunchbreak. I just eat my lunch behind desk 30 minites prior to working out
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,363 Member
    Options
    I am the weakest person at my gym. No question. But this is why I do it, and I figure screw ‘em if they don’t take the time to understand. Lifting has helped me with yoga goals.

And if it’s any comfort, I’m more embarrassed to share my lifting figures here. I value y’all, because you’ve been where I’ve been.

I’d rather achieve a new pose than a heavy anything, although gains there excite me, too.

e2oma7o1kvcp.jpeg

This position doesn’t look hard but requires a lot of flexibility and core.
    yjlt4s8vpr2b.jpeg

With my legs and mobility, no way i could do either of those
  • steveko89
    Options
    I can't even touch my toes. I am hugely impressed! Awesomeness!! ❤️

Same, @springlering62. I always love seeing your posts and passion for being active. I had a bit of reality check on my mobility a few days ago; I saw a full body mobility warm-up posted by a physio I follow on IG and my ROM on the included stretches and postures was humbling, to say the least.
  • KickassAmazon76
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Yesterday's workout. But stressed because my back is not happy and I had to stop one set short on my squats. I need it to calm the eff down!

6smkb39645r2.gif

Also... For @springlering62
    u8awvk0ahpra.gif

Haha. I know, I'm so flexible hey? Hahaha

P.s. No judging the jammie pants... These things are sooooo comfy and they're long enough! 😂