MaltedTea wrote: »
    iMago wrote: »
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Just_Mel_ wrote: »
    couple packages of some hunny mussey sauce from mcdonalds spread on some toast

What about cinnamon toast? Best thing when you crave sweets but have nothing else in the house. <3

biscuits and/or tortillas with mustard pretty good too

idk what biscuits are really, my gist is some grody thick dry texture donut thing...they give them away for free (Im pretty sure at Popeyes)

tortillas with dijon, or hummus or processed cheese or hot sauce - I hear ya

yeah basically the stuff from popeyes. and they are divine with nothing but mustard on them

Uhm, excuse you. Popeyes biscuits are divine on their own and need no effin' help. :tongue:

I'm not saying that, before 2020, I've driven 2+ hours to the next province over on a Dedicated Day Trip for a bucket of Popeye's with extra biscuits which would be then used to create impromptu greasy chicken sandwiches on the drive back. It's just that I know of people who do and then freeze any extra biscuits as Sunday morning treats loaded with generous pats of lactose-free butter. 😬

ever make 7 up biscuits at home? pretty much the same thing as popeyes

7 up!? This sounds complicated and time consuming. And think of the greenhouse gases emitted from the creation of a can of soda pop!

Nah...

I'd rather rent an SUV and drive two hours for struggle meals. I mean, the person I know would rather.

Impromptu road trip!

We used to drive 3.5 hours away to the other side of the state for White Castle when I was in college, so... **shrugs**
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    I feel like maybe we need a whole food road trip thread.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options

What about cinnamon toast? Best thing when you crave sweets but have nothing else in the house. <3

idk what biscuits are really, my gist is some grody thick dry texture donut thing...they give them away for free (Im pretty sure at Popeyes)

yeah basically the stuff from popeyes. and they are divine with nothing but mustard on them

Uhm, excuse you. Popeyes biscuits are divine on their own and need no effin' help. :tongue:

I'm not saying that, before 2020, I've driven 2+ hours to the next province over on a Dedicated Day Trip for a bucket of Popeye's with extra biscuits which would be then used to create impromptu greasy chicken sandwiches on the drive back. It's just that I know of people who do and then freeze any extra biscuits as Sunday morning treats loaded with generous pats of lactose-free butter. 😬

7 up!? This sounds complicated and time consuming. And think of the greenhouse gases emitted from the creation of a can of soda pop!

Nah...

I'd rather rent an SUV and drive two hours for struggle meals. I mean, the person I know would rather.

nah it ain't too big a deal to mix some up

https://www.food.com/recipe/7-up-biscuits-496614

I’m making these this weekend!
  • _sw33tp3a_11
    _sw33tp3a_11 Posts: 4,692 Member
    Options

Nah...

I'll be making these 😋
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options

Nah...

Nah...

I'll be making these 😋

plus if you just mix in some shredded cheddar and some old bay seasoning in the mix before you bake them, they're also the same thing as cheddar bay biscuits from red lobster at the end.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options

Nah...

Nah...

I'll be making these 😋

plus if you just mix in some shredded cheddar and some old bay seasoning in the mix before you bake them, they're also the same thing as cheddar bay biscuits from red lobster at the end.

Red Lobster biscuits! :p Gimme all those biscuits!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options

Nah...

Same. No good can come of this 😭
  • BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bl3196vs9c9j.jpg

I want to click disagree SO badly right now.

A couple years ago I met a coworker who told me that mayonnaise and peanut butter sandwiches were good. It blew my mind that that was a thing.
  • chuckle_bunny
    chuckle_bunny Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Mayonnaise sandwich. Don't ask me for the recipe 😧

Whats the secret ingredient
    despair 😢
  • Yoshiboobs
    Yoshiboobs Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    On the subject of biscuits, my mom used to take biscuit dough and make little knots. Then drizzle with melted butter and cinnamon sugar. Boom! Struggle "donuts".

if you take a can of regular biscuits and flatten em out really good, you can pack them with a pepperoni and a cut off cube of string cheese, then wrap the biscuit up around and pinch the ends shut to make a little ball. do that with like two cans of biscuits then stick em pinched ends down in a pyrex tray and bake em for a bit until they're brown then brush em with some butter and italian seasoning and finish off for like another 5 mins.

they come out like little pizza ball bites. real good for dipping in some marinara and stuff and cheap as *kitten* to make for the most part.

That reminds me of the mini pizzas my mom made for us as kids. Flat biscuits and some sauce, shredded cheese and little pepperoni.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Off-topic, but... I get that the same word can mean different things but I'll just never get used to the american definition of "biscuit"...
  • Yoshiboobs
    Yoshiboobs Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    ergxu9pafuv0.jpeg

Breakfast biscuit bc every day is a struggle
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    bodujbrilj12.png
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    I met a hundred year old lady at my mom's retirement home who'd have her daughter buy her Honey Bunches of Oats, bananas, and milk every week or so. She'd have that, the lunch provided, and then lunch leftovers or more cereal for dinner.(She was an interesting person, and I'd see her on the bench outside, a lot, with her eyes closed just basking in the sun.)
    I have Clara Cannucciari's ebook, which is an autobiography and recipe book. I think her way of eating simple, inexpensive meals is the healthiest whether we're struggling or not.
    For me, as long as I can enjoy a good cup of coffee, I could pretty much live on sandwiches.

https://youtu.be/IxNYmdjrA-w

She's such a cute, old lady! My grandparents lived through the Great Depression. They were some of the strongest people I ever knew and never complained about anything. Thanks for posting this, this and Spaghetti Sandwich Man!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    bl3196vs9c9j.jpg

I wanted to click it 1000x but it'd only be blinking at me.

Yep, mac n cheese and hot dogs or plain macaroni with parmesan cheese
    If it's almost grocery day with nothing much left in the house and I don't want to shop early, I'll just eat bread and butter.
  • ReenieHJ
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Times are tough right now! What are some of your favorite struggle meals?

I've never heard of a struggle meal. I was wondering if it meant a meal you struggle through, struggle to make, ??? 🤔I'm now guessing it means struggle with finances? Like cheap meals?

It only took me a second to figure this term out but still wondering what 5 head means. :)
    Finally googled it. :/ Not anything like I imagined....so disappointed.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    bl3196vs9c9j.jpg

A couple years ago I met a coworker who told me that mayonnaise and peanut butter sandwiches were good. It blew my mind that that was a thing.

I have a SIL who eats pb and lettuce sandwiches. Ewww???