Struggle meals

Options

Replies

• Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    Just_Mel_ wrote: »
    Times are tough right now! What are some of your favorite struggle meals?

I've never heard of a struggle meal. I was wondering if it meant a meal you struggle through, struggle to make, ??? 🤔I'm now guessing it means struggle with finances? Like cheap meals?

yes, cheap meals.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    couple packages of some hunny mussey sauce from mcdonalds spread on some toast

What about cinnamon toast? Best thing when you crave sweets but have nothing else in the house. <3
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options

What about cinnamon toast? Best thing when you crave sweets but have nothing else in the house. <3

biscuits and/or tortillas with mustard pretty good too
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Rice, beans, pot of soup, ramen... maybe potatoes? I can stretch a $1 bunch of kale for lunches pretty far...
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    • Chicken sandwich from Whataburger
    • Onion rings and chili dogs from DQ
    • Mac n' cheese with hot dogs
    • A sleeve of Ritz crackers
    • Cinnamon Toast Crunch or some kid cereal with a ton of marshmallows in it
    • Sushi (my favorite place is a five minute drive from home)
    • Quesadilla with beans and cheese (and hot sauce, of course)
    • Grilled cheese sandwich and canned soup

Mac and cheese w/hot dogs is still one of my faves!

Lunch today. Soooo good!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Mayonnaise and mustard sandwiches take me back to Grandmas house and fishing on the creek. Not for fish, just for fun!
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    Times are tough right now! What are some of your favorite struggle meals?

Okay, since you've clarified "struggle" to mean "inexpensive" and maybe "easy", I can whittle my list down:
    • Mac n' Cheese and Hot Dogs (auto go to, I know this is terrible)
    • Sleeve of Ritz Crackers
    • Cans of questionable at best soup
    • Bowls of cereal or those dumb packets of pre-mixed oatmeal
    • White rice and eggs + veggies (like fried rice, but not actually fried or coated in soy sauce)
    • Fried baloney sandwiches
    • Peanut butter and jelly sandwich.. or a banana if I have one
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options

idk what biscuits are really, my gist is some grody thick dry texture donut thing...they give them away for free (Im pretty sure at Popeyes)

tortillas with dijon, or hummus or processed cheese or hot sauce - I hear ya
  • iMago
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »

idk what biscuits are really, my gist is some grody thick dry texture donut thing...they give them away for free (Im pretty sure at Popeyes)

yeah basically the stuff from popeyes. and they are divine with nothing but mustard on them
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options

yeah basically the stuff from popeyes. and they are divine with nothing but mustard on them

Uhm, excuse you. Popeyes biscuits are divine on their own and need no effin' help. :tongue:
  • Yoshiboobs
    Yoshiboobs Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

I love biscuits! I like them plain or with butter. They're nothing like a donut. You can make them into the breakfast sandwich too which I guess is Imago's addition of mustard 😑
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,626 Member
    Options
    Mayonnaise sandwich. Don't ask me for the recipe 😧

Whats the secret ingredient
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,626 Member
    Options
    Steak, loaded baked potato
    Sautéed mushrooms
    A loaded salad
    Pizza
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options

Uhm, excuse you. Popeyes biscuits are divine on their own and need no effin' help. :tongue:

I'm not saying that, before 2020, I've driven 2+ hours to the next province over on a Dedicated Day Trip for a bucket of Popeye's with extra biscuits which would be then used to create impromptu greasy chicken sandwiches on the drive back. It's just that I know of people who do and then freeze any extra biscuits as Sunday morning treats loaded with generous pats of lactose-free butter. 😬

• iMago
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »

I'm not saying that, before 2020, I've driven 2+ hours to the next province over on a Dedicated Day Trip for a bucket of Popeye's with extra biscuits which would be then used to create impromptu greasy chicken sandwiches on the drive back. It's just that I know of people who do and then freeze any extra biscuits as Sunday morning treats loaded with generous pats of lactose-free butter. 😬

ever make 7 up biscuits at home? pretty much the same thing as popeyes
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options

7 up!? This sounds complicated and time consuming. And think of the greenhouse gases emitted from the creation of a can of soda pop!

Nah...

I'd rather rent an SUV and drive two hours for struggle meals. I mean, the person I know would rather.
  • iMago
    Options

7 up!? This sounds complicated and time consuming. And think of the greenhouse gases emitted from the creation of a can of soda pop!

Nah...

I'd rather rent an SUV and drive two hours for struggle meals. I mean, the person I know would rather.

nah it ain't too big a deal to mix some up

https://www.food.com/recipe/7-up-biscuits-496614