Struggle meals

Replies

• steph6556
    steph6556 Posts: 575 Member
    What, no one likes Top Ramen with an egg anymore? I guess ppl are sick of it after their broke college days!! I still like it for lazy days.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    steph6556 wrote: »
    What, no one likes Top Ramen with an egg anymore? I guess ppl are sick of it after their broke college days!! I still like it for lazy days.

My husband and son both prefer it. They get a bit fancy buying the Shin Red and Shin Black varieties as well as some of the more unique flavors of ramen packets.

But yeah, kinda got tired of it from my college days. :joy:
  • chuckle_bunny
    chuckle_bunny Posts: 496 Member
    😫 @ people mentioning Costco and Dairy Queen!

When I was a kid my mom sent me to Food Circus with a crumpled $2 dollar bill and lint covered change to procure ingredients for dinner and told me to "make it work"

Wow, Mom. Too bad we can't eat your Newports. 🙄
  • elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    Porridge. Can be made with water or milk. Excellent on cold mornings x
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    When I was a kid and we were really poor my favorite struggle meal was chili-mac: boxed mac n cheese mixed with a can of chili.

Or sometimes my mom would bring home airplane meals when she cooked for a company that catered for the airlines. They were terrible but I loved them. So many weird preservatives.

For a special treat, step-dad C made fried baloney sandwiches with government cheese. The baloney was sliced fresh off a giant loaf hunted down at the poor store.

Canned tuna and cream of mushroom soup with peas over rice was pretty dang good, too.

Wait, we did this, too. The giant hunk of baloney loaf was a thing my granddad always did and my dad adopted and adhered to. Fried baloney sandwiches are delicious, alternately, being a latchkey kid, my cousin and I would take the pre-sliced baloney my grandma always bought, put cheese in the center and then microwave it for a few seconds to make a "baloney bowl". Sounds gross, but was actually warm and delicious. :tongue:

• CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    I may have misunderstood what you meant by struggle meals. I thought you meant quick/lazy/comfort food because stress

My favorite cheap meals are black beans and rice, oatmeal, grilled cheese sammies with tomato soup, and mac n cheese

None of which i buy at costco 😌
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    CacoEther wrote: »
    None of which i buy at costco

we're having a difficult time believing this.
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    None of which i buy at costco

we're having a difficult time believing this.

ONLY THE OATMEAL
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    bl3196vs9c9j.jpg
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    I may have misunderstood what you meant by struggle meals. I thought you meant quick/lazy/comfort food because stress

I wasn't 100% sure either.

Quick/lazy meal = bag salad with some kind of protein that doesn't need to be cooked tossed in

Cheap/comfort meal = cream of wheat or instant oatmeal and toast
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Are we talking struggle as in keeping costs down? In college I was all about the beans. Beans and rice...12 bean soup with ham, bean burritos, 3 bean chili with ground beef, etc...

Also, potatoes...potato soups, baked potatoes, ground beef and potatoes...

Various pasta dishes, eggs, oats...anything cheap.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    • Chicken sandwich from Whataburger
    • Onion rings and chili dogs from DQ
    • Mac n' cheese with hot dogs
    • A sleeve of Ritz crackers
    • Cinnamon Toast Crunch or some kid cereal with a ton of marshmallows in it
    • Sushi (my favorite place is a five minute drive from home)
    • Quesadilla with beans and cheese (and hot sauce, of course)
    • Grilled cheese sandwich and canned soup

Mac and cheese w/hot dogs is still one of my faves!
  • Just_Mel_

My favorite cheap meals are black beans and rice, oatmeal, grilled cheese sammies with tomato soup, and mac n cheese

None of which i buy at costco 😌

That too! I actually forgot I made this thread last night in a medicine induced haze. I was craving cheap cheesy tuna helper at the time.
  • Just_Mel_
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Are we talking struggle as in keeping costs down? In college I was all about the beans. Beans and rice...12 bean soup with ham, bean burritos, 3 bean chili with ground beef, etc...

Also, potatoes...potato soups, baked potatoes, ground beef and potatoes...

Various pasta dishes, eggs, oats...anything cheap.

Struggle meals to me mean anything made on the cheap, but some are great no matter the cost!
    Anyone still eat S.O.S ??
  • chuckle_bunny
    chuckle_bunny Posts: 496 Member
    edited December 2020
    All I know is somewhere in between paying the overdue utility bill or putting some lunch in your belly is a compromise everyone in the struggle has had to make, and that compromise is Ragu meat sauce on top of an empty toilet paper tube. 😧
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Just_Mel_ wrote: »
    Times are tough right now! What are some of your favorite struggle meals?

I've never heard of a struggle meal. I was wondering if it meant a meal you struggle through, struggle to make, ??? 🤔I'm now guessing it means struggle with finances? Like cheap meals?
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    couple packages of some hunny mussey sauce from mcdonalds spread on some toast