Less Alcohol - JANUARY 2021 - One Day At A Time

Options

Replies

• dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,566 Member
    Options
    @Lilylady3k

Congrats on the Covid shot!
    We started getting some in Canada and then Pfizer reneged on what we bought so we don't have any to give out.
    I am way down the list anyway, but looking forward to September or October when I might be eligible.

A doctor in Canada had his first and second shots and then got Covid. Apparently it takes 2 weeks after the second shot and he picked it up during that time period. The jury is still out about whether you can still pass it around even though you are immune yourself. We are not out of the woods yet, but again, very glad that you were able to get vaccinated.
    Masks are starting to give me pimples...just saying..
  • HerNameIsMischief
    HerNameIsMischief Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    And...one day you will love your height. If you are not happy about your weight you can change that, your height you can't (coming from a 5'2" person who has accepted being short but didn't want to be fat).

I'll never love my height. It drives me crazy because it means I'll always be seen as "big" whereas other people get to lose weight and look good and get rid of the rude remarks people make about their appearance. Yet I'm expected to "embrace it" and enjoy it when people say awful things about how I look like a football player or a bouncer or something like that. Knowing I'm stuck this way is part of the reason I drink (FWIW, since those few beers the other night, I've been totally clean). It's also why I don't date and have never been in a LTR despite being in my mid-40s. Every time I did date, they just had to open their mouths about how tiny they looked next to me or something else related to my height or size. I just feel so hopeless about this that a lot of time, I can't help but think "Why not drink?"

• Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    And...one day you will love your height. If you are not happy about your weight you can change that, your height you can't (coming from a 5'2" person who has accepted being short but didn't want to be fat).

I'll never love my height. It drives me crazy because it means I'll always be seen as "big" whereas other people get to lose weight and look good and get rid of the rude remarks people make about their appearance. Yet I'm expected to "embrace it" and enjoy it when people say awful things about how I look like a football player or a bouncer or something like that. Knowing I'm stuck this way is part of the reason I drink (FWIW, since those few beers the other night, I've been totally clean). It's also why I don't date and have never been in a LTR despite being in my mid-40s. Every time I did date, they just had to open their mouths about how tiny they looked next to me or something else related to my height or size. I just feel so hopeless about this that a lot of time, I can't help but think "Why not drink?"

@HerNameIsMischief - My son is 6'5" and in 2020 lost 90 lbs (weighs about 250 right now) and looks great as well as feels great too. My DH is 6'3" and weighs in around 200-205 (he lost 50lbs in 2009). I might be short 5'3" and looking up to them but love them both and though I wish I was taller they seem to have excepted and embraced their height. My other son that is thin and 6' wishes often that he was at least 6'2" LOL. Height is not something that we can change but the weight that adds the bulk to the frame can change. You can do this getting in shape thing and your attitude will improve as you see some success. Wishing you the best.
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I can't keep up with you guys!

@MissMay, possible to request from MFP admins they add a HILARIOUS button especially for @dawnbgethealthy?

@HerNameIsMischief if negative thoughts being held onto don't get us to a solution or better life, what is the purpose of holding onto them?

Can you release unproductive negative thoughts and free yourself of this so you can make room for good things to enter into your life?

Anyways, your soul mate is out there waiting for you. For real. First step is get that positive vibe going, get to really liking yourself and then tell the world what you want and your wish will be delivered. I followed this "recipe" when I became divorced and very depressed and it worked.

And very tall single men do exist, especially in Scandinavian countries, Scotland, Germany, Canada, parts of Africa and even in some US areas like Minnesota. Most foreigners also speak conversational English. With the internet you can communicate with any tall single male in the world. Or you may wind up falling in love with someone shorter. Love doesn't care about height.
  • HerNameIsMischief
    Options
    @HerNameIsMischief if negative thoughts being held onto don't get us to a solution or better life, what is the purpose of holding onto them?

Can you release unproductive negative thoughts and free yourself of this so you can make room for good things to enter into your life?

And very tall single men do exist, especially in Scandinavian countries, Scotland, Germany, Canada, parts of Africa and even in some US areas like Minnesota.

Those negative thoughts are the truth. I can't just say, "Well, instead of feeling bad about being big...I'll just start liking it!" when I don't find it attractive and resent comments I get.

I should have picked a different screen name. I'm a guy, but I see why people figured I was female. "HerNameIsMischief" is named after my cat.

• HerNameIsMischief
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »
    @HerNameIsMischief
    True WE ALL have things we do not like about ourselves.
    In fact I will share mine if that helps in any small way.
    Rheumatoid arthritis fingers since I was in my early 30's. Not pleasant to watch someone eyes follow your hand movements while your talking to them just so they can get a better look at your crooked swelled up finger joints.
    Try living with these every day.......but I do, and life goes on.

I understand, but what makes my situation different is that people feel very comfortable making rude remarks to my face. A boss meeting me for the first time and saying, "Oh my God, you're enormous." Someone at the train station asking me if I ever played football before. A guy in my building asking if I ever worked as a bouncer. All stuff to remind me that everyone sees me in the exact way I don't want to be seen. And if I complain to anyone, I'm dismissed as ridiculous because "lots of men would love to be your size/height."
  • thehumanpickle
    thehumanpickle Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I found out in November that my liver enzymes were high among some other things. Husband and I are TTC and putting it on hold until I can get some things under control. It looks like I may have NAFL, but with a family history of alcoholism and a reliance in 2020 on a drink or 3 to unwind 2-3x a week, I realized I needed to re-evaluate regardless of whether my issues were alcohol relatedor not. I've been AF for 2 weeks as of today and plan to keep going until I have healthy numbers coming back. I don't plan to stay 'dry' forever, but I do plan to change the way I look at alcohol. It will be a fun accessory for a karaoke night or bonfire with friend, in the future without a pandemic, and nothing more.

My Grandaddy and my Daddy were both incredible men but they had their vices. It's as simple as me not wanting my kids to ever say that about me. Know better, do better. All that.

Could you spell out TTC and NAFL? Guessing they aren't good.
    Love your last sentence. Indeed. My kids are adults, so they've seen the good, bad, and ugly, but my grandbabies haven't (cuz they're not conceived yet)--but I'm looking forward to them knowing me as Crazy Fun Gigi, not Crazy Lush Gigi.

Of course.

TTC = Trying To Conceive
    NAFL= Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver
  • HerNameIsMischief
    Options
    Almost 40 hours without booze. I haven't felt any negative effects like I was back at home, no jitters or nausea or anything. I haven't had a huge craving, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking, "When you go out with your cousin today, you could probably pick up some beer or, better yet, a pint of Beam or Jack. Better yet, get a fifth, tell them it's for 'sharing' and drink most of it yourself." Up until last week, I was drinking a fifth of scotch plus sometimes 6-12 beers a day...and not really getting messed up.
    CryingBlue wrote: »
    @HerNameIsMischief. Mischief is a very cute name for a cat. Mine is JuneBug. She likes to look at me a judge my life choices.

Based on your picture, I would have presumed her name would be Dinah. I call mine Missy for short. My previous cat was named Pester.

I just talked to my dad. I'm visiting family and he left early for home and took Missy with him. He said she howled last night and it broke my heart. She thinks I don't love her anymore and have decided to get rid of her (my thought, not my dad's). We'll be reunited Sunday night. Oh, kitty-witty, I'm coming home soon...