WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Debbie - quite a few years ago I fractured my ankle. I just KNEW something wasn't right. I kept asking for a bone density test over and over. My MD at the time kept saying "we don't recommend that for someone who hasn't gone thru menopause yet". But I kept on. To be honest, I think she did it mainly to shut me up. Boy, was she ever surprised when it came back that I had osteoporosis.

Michele NC

I asked my doctor for the bone density test too- she said no, not at my age, even though both my parents had osteoporosis, dad's was worse than mom's. I will ask her again the next time I see her, now that I am getting closer to 60.

Debbie
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Speech- I speak quickly and change subjects quickly.
    Kylia in Ohio

This is something I have to watch with my husband. I tend to bounce all over the place when I talk because I've got 150 things going on in my head at the same time. But with him, I need to focus on one topic at a time.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    exermom wrote: »
    Debbie - quite a few years ago I fractured my ankle. I just KNEW something wasn't right. I kept asking for a bone density test over and over. My MD at the time kept saying "we don't recommend that for someone who hasn't gone thru menopause yet". But I kept on. To be honest, I think she did it mainly to shut me up. Boy, was she ever surprised when it came back that I had osteoporosis.

Michele NC

I asked my doctor for the bone density test too- she said no, not at my age, even though both my parents had osteoporosis, dad's was worse than mom's. I will ask her again the next time I see her, now that I am getting closer to 60.

Debbie

I asked a doctor for a bone density test when I was in my early 40s. I was attending university and had stopped in at the university GP's office to check my shoulder (I had crashed while cycling and separated my shoulder) and thought I'd ask about the bone density test.

I have to give her the benefit of the doubt because she had never seen me before and I was attending university, but her response was ... "Oh, we don't do those for anyone under 30!!" :lol:

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    We're nearing the end of January. @barbiecat will be posting a new thread for February shortly.

But meanwhile ... today I got my rowing machine and treadmill hooked up and working again. I had purchased a new phone in December and had to set up the apps which track what I do again.

In doing so, I rowed for 6 minutes to test the app and also to test my hip. It didn't hurt while rowing, but did when I got up.

I also walked/ran for 12 minutes. Walking and slow running didn't hurt my hip either. That straight motion is OK. But I didn't want to push it.

I also did some upper body weights. If we're going to be canoeing ... and we hope to do that through autumn, I need stronger arms! Also I prefer the look of my arms when they're muscular and they certainly aren't that now!

I still need to set up my bicycles in our home gym. That's going to be a little bit more complicated so I left it for today.

Getting ready for February!!

We're not travelling anywhere in February, and I really want to do a bit more exercise.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    xjmhltsemwcq.png

And don't forget to watch for the new February thread in a day or two. :)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    ❤️🙂💛💜
  • virgill
    virgill Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi from Country Victoria (Australia)

2021 is the year I claim my life back. Starting over again at the age of 52 and before I think about getting back on the dating pony I need to loose weight - about 20 kilo's worth (sigh).

Anyway I am looking forward to the challenge.

Deborah

• Machka9
    Options
    virgill wrote: »
    Hi from Country Victoria (Australia)

2021 is the year I claim my life back. Starting over again at the age of 52 and before I think about getting back on the dating pony I need to loose weight - about 20 kilo's worth (sigh).

Anyway I am looking forward to the challenge.

Deborah

Hi ... I lived in country Victoria for a while a few years ago. :)

Machka in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,816 Member
    Options
    Glad to finally hear from you Allie.

Lisa - Hope you are able to work out the balancing act.

Son coming over tomorrow and bringing dinner for my birthday which is actually Sunday. Halibut from Big Fish Grill.

Katla - Heard about the health workers stuck in the snow near Grant's Pass that gave vaccine to fellow travelers that were stuck also rather than let it expire and be wasted. Thought that was pretty cool.

Everyone take care Sue in WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Saturday is reading the.newspaper day. :D I don't write on Saturdays.
    Had one of those nights when I wasn't awake, but not deeply asleep either. It's like my brain is stuck in a groove and just keeps on and on repeating itself. Not refreshing at all. Last night it was some nonsense about vaccination that made no sense at all.
    Machka - I don't know if gluteal tendonopathy matches your symptoms. That's what I had but it's beginning to improve. If it hurts a lot when you stand on one leg and is worse in the morning , then that's it. Extremely painful and annoying. It usually doesn't affect function though. YouTube has some good videos.
    Love to all. Glad the night is over and I can make DH a cup of tea.
    Heather UK xxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    Two years ago:
    Gluteus minimus insertional tendinosis with adjacent reactive oedema and small volume subgluteus minimus and trochanteric bursal effusions.
    Plus macerated degenerative anterosuperior to superolateral labrum (cartilage ring around the hip socket) - a labrum tear.

I rested, did my exercises and it went away.

Then a couple months ago, it came back with a vengance!! Worse than before.

I can do things like rowing, walking, cycling and even running as long as I don't push it too hard, but I can't put weight on it for things like stair climbing or getting up off the floor. I also can't move it out of the back/forward plane ... such as swinging my leg over my bicycle.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    hi52gw4v6htp.png

We spent Friday night and all day today (Saturday) at home with just each other ... My husband, our cat and me. 🙂

I know I really needed this!!

I miss staying at home all day. Our 4 months in "shutdown" last winter, just staying home, were wonderful. But now I want more weeks and months like that!

However, one day is better than nothing.

M in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,066 Member
    Options
    Im still here ladies
    Surgery went well.been in Cicu since surgery they srnd me down to 5,-3 im guessing soon..

So pleased to see your post. Concentrate on getting better asap. (((Hugs)))
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,066 Member
    Options
    Good morning all.

Planning a quiet day today. Just a short trip out to our local shops (butcher/small supermarket/chemist for Sunday roast/fresh bread/newspaper/meds).

míle fáilte To our new girls.

(((Hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 to those who need them.

4vgha2e68bla.jpeg

💖☘️Terri
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Machka-please take care of yourself!!(((hugs))).
    Terri-I Love your post!!!❤️
    Debby in freezing 🥶 Va
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,606 Member
    Options
    <3
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,606 Member
    Options
    Bone density tests- My Gyn had me get one at age 52 as a baseline. I would think a baseline would be important. 🤔
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    Michele: how many days has it been on your sauerkraut? What does it look like that's making you "not so sure about it" ? Did you push it down every few hours that first day and then make sure it was "covered" with the brine after that? At the end of the first 24 hrs, mine wasn't quite "covered" with the brine, so I added the extra salt water to the jar.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Machka: I have had two bone density tests within the past several years. My doctor put me on alondrate, a bone density medicine, after a fall on unseen ice several years ago that caused a broken wrist bone. I chose to have a once weekly tablet rather than a daily tablet, and it has really helped keep my bones strong. As I understand it, this medicine is something usual for women who have passed menopause and need to keep bones strong. My most recent trip and fall did NOT result in any broken bones. I think the alondrate protected my bones. It did not improve my personal judgement in difficult lighting. :embarassed:

Deborah from County Victoria, AUS: Welcome!!! :flowerforyou:

Sue in WA: I didn’t see the story of the health care workers in Grants Pass who gave vaccinations to fellow stranded motorists. Thank you for mentioning it. I think they made an excellent decision. :star:

Allie: Thank you for posting!!! I am so happy that your surgery went well. Good news! :heart:

It is still mostly dark here at 7:20 AM. The sky is just barely getting a tiny bit lighter. I look forward to days getting longer.

Katla in NW Oregon