Calorie Counter

Message Boards General Health, Fitness and Diet
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Dry January

Replies

• DancingMoosieDancingMoosie Member Posts: 6,565 Member Member Posts: 6,565 Member
    I'm cutting back, at least. And I didn't start jan1...but you have to start somewhere right? I'm having other health issues that may be exacerbated by alcohol and caffeine, so I'm trying to cut back on alcohol AND coffee. I'm limited to 1 lg coffee(3tbs of 1/3 decaff) and then a chai tea bag. In the evening, a spice herbal tea instead of wine. Unfortunately, I'm also cutting back on chocolate and carbonation as well. Wish me luck!
  • DancingMoosieDancingMoosie Member Posts: 6,565 Member Member Posts: 6,565 Member
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    Good luck this weekend everyone! I know weekends are really hard for me. Always look forward to that glass of wine on Friday. I have to be strong and get through it. I keep telling myself I can do anything for one month! Best to all of you. Stay strong.

Me too! I'm hoping to not crave too much tonight!
  • RedordeadheadRedordeadhead Member Posts: 849 Member Member Posts: 849 Member
    I'm cutting back, at least. And I didn't start jan1...but you have to start somewhere right? I'm having other health issues that may be exacerbated by alcohol and caffeine, so I'm trying to cut back on alcohol AND coffee. I'm limited to 1 lg coffee(3tbs of 1/3 decaff) and then a chai tea bag. In the evening, a spice herbal tea instead of wine. Unfortunately, I'm also cutting back on chocolate and carbonation as well. Wish me luck!

Good luck! I'm also going for drier January, rather than dry. I started late, but I figured cutting back and consuming less is still an improvement, even if I don't strictly do it for a full month.
  • nat8199nat8199 Member Posts: 38 Member Member Posts: 38 Member
    cgrout78 wrote: »
    I'm on the headache part of withdrawls right now...ughhh. I started on Sunday so 4 days dry, today is day 5...so by tomorrow i'll actually feel the healthy part of this? Right????

I gave up alcohol at the end of June. I had headaches on and off for the first two weeks. Hopefully yours do not last as long. I have to say, though, that a life without alcohol (or at least with limited) is really worth it. I feel so much better these days.

My favorite sub is fruity herbal teas. Some day I drink them in an insulated wine glass, other just in my mugs. They also help with sweet cravings. Stash is my favorite brand.
  • northviewvintagenorthviewvintage Member Posts: 1,915 Member Member Posts: 1,915 Member
    nat8199 wrote: »
    cgrout78 wrote: »
    I'm on the headache part of withdrawls right now...ughhh. I started on Sunday so 4 days dry, today is day 5...so by tomorrow i'll actually feel the healthy part of this? Right????

I gave up alcohol at the end of June. I had headaches on and off for the first two weeks. Hopefully yours do not last as long. I have to say, though, that a life without alcohol (or at least with limited) is really worth it. I feel so much better these days.

My favorite sub is fruity herbal teas. Some day I drink them in an insulated wine glass, other just in my mugs. They also help with sweet cravings. Stash is my favorite brand.

Quitting coffee and alcohol is rough. Hang in there! The tea does really help me, as well. I didn't think I'd notice any difference last week because I do drink moderately, maybe 2-7 drinks per week, and hardly ever drink more than 2 at a time unless I'm with others that are drinking more.I have really noticed some changes in my energy levels, though. I think next month I might try to halve what I normally drink!
  • cgrout78cgrout78 Member, Premium Posts: 1,658 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1,658 Member
    My workweek was so stressful, I threw a bottle of wine in the fridge thinking "screw it" before I went to the gym. Got home from the gym, made dinner, ate, then started on a puzzle. Realized I still had the wine chilling, but didn't drink it. Now I just have to get through today and tomorrow. I'm so used to netflix and wine on Saturday nights...
  • jaeliajaelia Member Posts: 7 Member Member Posts: 7 Member
    I have to because the doctors suspect I have a stomach ulcer. It's not as hard as I thought it would be. Going off the pepsi max was way harder 😂.
  • LMM217LMM217 Member Posts: 10 Member Member Posts: 10 Member
    Today is the first day I’ve wanted a beer. I’m cleaning the house, and I usually reward myself with a beer between chores lol. Luckily, I don’t have any in the house!
  • sarah7591sarah7591 Member Posts: 54 Member Member Posts: 54 Member
    One week in!
    I started this forum on a whim and thought January would be relatively beast month. WRONG. Between more covid restrictions (more at home schooling here, I'm a stay at home dad) and the crap in DC..it's a wonder I'm not hung over today. But, I'm NOT.
    I didn't really think reading everyone's posts would mean much..Also WRONG.
    It's cool knowing more in the same boat.
    Feel free to send me a friend request if anyone wants!
    Yay for you! Keep up the good work. Really wanting a glass of wine right now....it's cold outside and fire in the fire place......nope not gonna do it!
  • kbru19kbru19 Member Posts: 6 Member Member Posts: 6 Member
    I'm in! I did it for the first time last year and got a lot out of it.

This year I decided to take a break from alcohol after Thanksgiving through Christmas, and do Dry January again. I threw in the week in between for good measure... don't want to risk undoing all my weight loss progress! I might extend it out a little bit into February, but my birthday is 2/22 and I do NOT plan on missing out on cake and a glass of wine that day!
  • kbru19kbru19 Member Posts: 6 Member Member Posts: 6 Member
    For anyone who misses beer and is looking for a good NA substitute, I strongly recommend Wellbeing Brewing. They only make NA drinks so their whole focus is on making it a high quality. And they have a few options depending on what type of beer you like. If you like Blue Moon, try their Victory Wheat. Tastes just like it! Maybe even better tbh

This is the website and they have a map option to find stores carrying it: https://wellbeingbrewing.com/
  • Alinouveau2Alinouveau2 Member Posts: 28 Member Member Posts: 28 Member
    Decided to go dry when I started a two week transformation workout on January 2. A friend said he was doing January so figured I'd join. Usually I'd be curling a lot at this time of year and since I'm not it's my chance to try a dry month

I have so much energy. Not that I need more energy but wow I have way too much now!
  • rcervettorcervetto Member Posts: 54 Member Member Posts: 54 Member
    I'm doing Dry January as well (well, since 12:30am on the 1st or so).

Drinking has been stalling my weight loss for months, I was drinking a bottle of wine most nights, not good for my waistline or health in general... When January is over, I plan to go back to drinking only on the weekends again. I was doing well with that at the beginning of Covid/lockdown when I was in weight loss mode after having my 2nd daughter, but it creeped to nearly every day several months ago.

Already down 5 pounds! Mostly water weight probably, but I'm now only 2 pounds up from where I was at before the holidays.
  • NalaBellyFITNalaBellyFIT Member, Premium Posts: 47 Member Member, Premium Posts: 47 Member
    I cannot believe how good I feel since beginning dry January. I am on day 12 and don't think I've gone this long without drinking since I turned 21 fifteen years ago. Normally, I drink an easy three glasses of wine a night, and sometimes more.

I'm down 8.2 pounds and can't wait to see how much more I can take off before the end of the month. Although I am eager to have that first glass of wine, I also sort of don't want this to end (OMG in a million years I wouldn't have guessed that...)

I'm giving strong consideration to what I want my drinking to look like in February and moving forward, because I feel like I have a chance to redefine things here.

I'm glad to hear it sounds like lots of you are getting some positivity from not drinking, too!
  • LanceALars65LanceALars65 Member Posts: 16 Member Member Posts: 16 Member
    I cannot believe how good I feel since beginning dry January. I am on day 12 and don't think I've gone this long without drinking since I turned 21 fifteen years ago. Normally, I drink an easy three glasses of wine a night, and sometimes more.

I'm down 8.2 pounds and can't wait to see how much more I can take off before the end of the month. Although I am eager to have that first glass of wine, I also sort of don't want this to end (OMG in a million years I wouldn't have guessed that...)

I'm giving strong consideration to what I want my drinking to look like in February and moving forward, because I feel like I have a chance to redefine things here.

I'm glad to hear it sounds like lots of you are getting some positivity from not drinking, too!

NalaBellyFIT, we are near the same situation. I'm rethinking when dry January is over how much to drink going forward. (Wine also a favorite)
    Feeling good 12 days in. Sleeping better, more energy. 👍 Remember waking up and feeling like you had about 15 minutes of sleep? Ya that sucked,not missing any of that.
  • jessieknhjessieknh Member Posts: 50 Member Member Posts: 50 Member
    I have been so good with dry January, logging all my food and exercising daily when weighed myself today and hardly lost anything. It's a bit discouraging because I thought my first weigh in would be a few pounds (water weight and stuff). Oh well. I'm sticking with it.