Why would you do that to yourself?

Options
1235»

Replies

• fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Why do you do that to yourself?

I've heard this since I was a teenager, and I know full well it's not meant as a compliment or as a natural curiosity, especially when it's said with a very condescending tone.

Here I am, at the gym, minding my own business, staying out of everyone's way listening to my ear buds, music on max so I can stay in my own little world. I'm on the elliptical, trying for my 65 minutes, and a lady comes up behind me and pokes me on my side. Like a hard jab poke. I hate, HATE being touched by strangers, especially on my sides, with no warning, and while I am on a machine. I don't know anyone here, so it's not a friend. Case of mistaken identity perhaps? Waiting for a machine? Nope. There was about 15 other ellipticals available, and the look on her face, a look of disgust and, well, just a ***** look gave it away. I slowed down cause I don't want my progress erased.

"Yes?"

"Why do you do that to yourself?"

I know what she meant. I love to dye my hair. Now it is a crimson burgundy color. I also have various tattoos and piercings. I am 24. I am not going to put up with some stranger trying to put me down. I turn it around and she goes away pissed.

"Exercise? Well, I want to lose weight and get healthy. Same as everyone I guess."

Ugh. She points to my head. Nooo, (snobby tone) <i>that!</i> Why do you do that?

"Oh, uh, the music helps me get through it."

She rolls her eyes and moves a hip. "Uh, your hair."

"I put it in a bun so it won't stick to my skin when I sweat."

She's mad and I'm having a ball.

Gawd... No! Why do you dye your hair that color and have all those tattoos and piercings? I mean, why would you do that to yourself?

No side stepping that one.

"I like to, I like them, and I want to."

Snobby and ***** like. They look awful and you should have never done it.

I'm not one for petty name calling or telling people **** like that. I then ask her why she wears make up.

Uhh, it makes me look good. One eye brow raised, hands crossed, I'm-better-than-you stance.

"Shame they don't make make up for personalities because yours is disgusting."

She opened her mouth, shocked and feeling insulted, giving me the dirtiest look yet.

Cheesy, I know, but I got what I wanted. I smile, put my ear buds back in, and continue my workout.

I don't get people like that. I'm sure we all went to kindergarten and watched Bambi at one point in our lives. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. And keep your hands to yourself.

Great responses. but the short answer on people like that:

1- they are conformists and difference drives them crazy
    2- they need to put others down to feel good about themselves

Your responses threw her for loop because you answered 1 that you are a non-conformist and happy about it and 2 said that she isn't better than you because of her behavior. So great job
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    "Shame they don't make make up for personalities because yours is disgusting."

Cheering-in-Crowd-EVO-2012.gif
  • Prettymisssparkles
    Prettymisssparkles Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    I think I love you op. :flowerforyou:
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Love it! Awesome!
  • beautifulwarrior18
    Options
    Way better comeback than what I would have said. I would have been like well, it's not working.
  • madaboutmitch
    Options
    Nicely done!