Often feeling hungry on 1330 cals

Options

Replies

• luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    It sounds like you may be eating too little. That does not sound like a lot at all.

I would most certainly be looking at your daily activity and consider upping your calorie intake.

[Edited by MFP Staff]
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    gigius72 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    clarab2021 wrote: »
    My goal is 1360 a day, but with exercise I can eat around 2000 to lose weight. Are you including exercise calories into this? I wouldn't be able to do just the 1360 either..I'd be gnawing at my arm I think lol.
    For reference, I'm 5'5", 173 lb.

No, I don’t include exercise calories.

I find it very difficult to lose weight, which may be linked to my age (40) but also PCOS.

Either way, I found when I was eating 1500 and exercising for 2-3 months, I stayed the same weight.

MFP said to drop to 1200 for 2 lbs per week, or 1330 for 1 lb a week loss - but I’m constantly hungry.

Get rid of all added fat if you add any (oil, butter, cooking spray), that will give you some more calories to spend. Switch in a meal beans for meat. It's still plenty of protein but it adds fibers. Try to eat beans in soup, water+fiber is a bulk that keeps you full. Snack on celery if you get hungry after meals, basically no calories but tons of fibers and water.
    I usually have a breakfast of about 600 calories and a lunch which is the same. For me is too low and I have to force myself at times to eat dinner because I'm still full from previous meal (due to the massive fibers I eat).
    Just my 2 cents, I hope you'll figure it out.

What’s wrong with added fat?

Added fat takes up calories and offers 0 satiation. You can use those calories to swap them with food which give station.

what are you defining as "added fat" ? Most all fats offer satiation, so not really sure what we are talking about here..

Whatever lol it's ok. I'm not playing this game, and if you really do not know what the difference is I'm sorry if I sound harsh. I gave my advice you gave yours. OP will do whatever he/she prefers.

its not a game, it is a serious question...

I apologise. I have had this discussion with ketogenic people many times before, that it got old.
    Everything has a level of satiation. The stomach is a stretchy bag with nerves that work as sensors. These sensor are supposed to tell your brain when to stop asking for food. They measure the stretching, but there are also the ones for fat, I don't know why though the fat sensors seem not to be working well for everyone.
    If you add 1 table spoon of oil in your day of meals, that is about 150 calories. Half a big potato is about 70 calories, but I can even go for 100 calories. A cup of broccoli is 30 calories. You can make a good soup with spare calories for other vegetables.
    On one side you have one 1 table spoon of oil, on the other you have a large bowl of soup. You can understand that getting rid of the added oil will leave room for extra food. In addition if the extra food is vegetable instead of meat or eggs, you increase the number of fibers. Fibers slows down the digestion so they will keep you full for longer time. Even further more, some fibers are not possible to digest so you won't absorb those calories.
    I stopped buying nuts because I'm addicted to them. I can eat easily half of one of those big containers of deluxe mixed nuts. And I'm actually not even full after all those nuts... I'll spare you the number of calories because I'm ashamed lol

But fat is needed for many bodily functions. Also nuts have a lot of fat. So you cut down on fats with your foods and make it up with nuts?

OP--follow the macro breakdown on MFP. Eat what keeps you full. The advice to eat and fill up on veggies of any type is good. I don't believe in demonizing any food (fat or sugar), just portion it out. Good luck.

Yes we all need fat, but identify one food with one macro is wrong. You find all three macros in every vegetable (just with different ratio). Actually let me correct myself, every food has all three macros as I discovered recently that also meat has a form of carb inside. I haven't had any added fat or meat for 12 years.
    Nuts are really good for you. If you have a huge diversity of food you get a lot of health benefits. Nuts have been proven to give benefits in cardiovascular disease...I just can't eat 3 or 4. When I get to my ideal weight (hopefully soon lol) I'll re-introduce them in my daily way of eating.

Nuts are wonderful, but 100g of almonds have 49g of fat. You recommend reducing fat intake, so I don't understand. I use EVOO by the tsp. and I think that's just fine.
  • 142jmh
    142jmh Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I believe there are some PCOS groups / discussion threads here on MFP. You might find them very helpful as there is some specific challenges with losing weight with PCOS and they may have some strategies that will work well for you. I can't remember where they are, but I'm sure a search would yield something. It's not something that I've had to deal with, but my friend does, and its not easy! Best of luck!!
  • clarab2021
    clarab2021 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    luceegj wrote: »
    It sounds like you may be eating too little. That does not sound like a lot at all.

I would most certainly be looking at your daily activity and consider upping your calorie intake.

[Edited by MFP Staff]

Could you say more? I can’t tell you how much I want to eat more!

But the scale is just not budging and the only time I saw loss was when I went as low as 1200 a day

At the moment, my BMR is 1471, and I work out every day (cardio or resistance or both), 6 days per week. So you’d think I would lose say a pound a week if I ate 1400-1500 per day. But I did that for 6 weeks and weighed the same
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    My goal is 1360 a day, but with exercise I can eat around 2000 to lose weight. Are you including exercise calories into this? I wouldn't be able to do just the 1360 either..I'd be gnawing at my arm I think lol.

I find it very difficult to lose weight, which may be linked to my age (40) but also PCOS.

Either way, I found when I was eating 1500 and exercising for 2-3 months, I stayed the same weight.

MFP said to drop to 1200 for 2 lbs per week, or 1330 for 1 lb a week loss - but I’m constantly hungry.

Get rid of all added fat if you add any (oil, butter, cooking spray), that will give you some more calories to spend. Switch in a meal beans for meat. It's still plenty of protein but it adds fibers. Try to eat beans in soup, water+fiber is a bulk that keeps you full. Snack on celery if you get hungry after meals, basically no calories but tons of fibers and water.
    I usually have a breakfast of about 600 calories and a lunch which is the same. For me is too low and I have to force myself at times to eat dinner because I'm still full from previous meal (due to the massive fibers I eat).

Added fat takes up calories and offers 0 satiation. You can use those calories to swap them with food which give station.

what are you defining as "added fat" ? Most all fats offer satiation, so not really sure what we are talking about here..

Whatever lol it's ok. I'm not playing this game, and if you really do not know what the difference is I'm sorry if I sound harsh. I gave my advice you gave yours. OP will do whatever he/she prefers.

I apologise. I have had this discussion with ketogenic people many times before, that it got old.
    Everything has a level of satiation. The stomach is a stretchy bag with nerves that work as sensors. These sensor are supposed to tell your brain when to stop asking for food. They measure the stretching, but there are also the ones for fat, I don't know why though the fat sensors seem not to be working well for everyone.
    If you add 1 table spoon of oil in your day of meals, that is about 150 calories. Half a big potato is about 70 calories, but I can even go for 100 calories. A cup of broccoli is 30 calories. You can make a good soup with spare calories for other vegetables.
    On one side you have one 1 table spoon of oil, on the other you have a large bowl of soup. You can understand that getting rid of the added oil will leave room for extra food. In addition if the extra food is vegetable instead of meat or eggs, you increase the number of fibers. Fibers slows down the digestion so they will keep you full for longer time. Even further more, some fibers are not possible to digest so you won't absorb those calories.
    I stopped buying nuts because I'm addicted to them. I can eat easily half of one of those big containers of deluxe mixed nuts. And I'm actually not even full after all those nuts... I'll spare you the number of calories because I'm ashamed lol

But fat is needed for many bodily functions. Also nuts have a lot of fat. So you cut down on fats with your foods and make it up with nuts?

OP--follow the macro breakdown on MFP. Eat what keeps you full. The advice to eat and fill up on veggies of any type is good. I don't believe in demonizing any food (fat or sugar), just portion it out. Good luck.

Yes we all need fat, but identify one food with one macro is wrong. You find all three macros in every vegetable (just with different ratio). Actually let me correct myself, every food has all three macros as I discovered recently that also meat has a form of carb inside. I haven't had any added fat or meat for 12 years.
    Nuts are really good for you. If you have a huge diversity of food you get a lot of health benefits. Nuts have been proven to give benefits in cardiovascular disease...I just can't eat 3 or 4. When I get to my ideal weight (hopefully soon lol) I'll re-introduce them in my daily way of eating.

Nuts are wonderful, but 100g of almonds have 49g of fat. You recommend reducing fat intake, so I don't understand. I use EVOO by the tsp. and I think that's just fine.

I have never said to eat 100g of nuts. I said I stopped buying them because I used to eat half a jar. You get the benefits also from 3 or 4 nuts.
    You are free to use all the oil you want. As long as you are losing weight, you are fine. The OP was having problem with hunger and I gave her a tip on how to eat more food.
    I really don't understand why in this forum it has to be a discussion everything I say lol.
  • gigius72
    Options

Yes, getting rid of oil will help with less calories; however, that does not mean that olive oil is bad or has no saturation. Fats typically tend to make people feel satiated, so that is why it is recommended to keep them higher as they help with keeping one full.

I don't see anything "bad" about adding olive oil to your eggs in the morning or salad in evening. Fats are part of an overall balanced diet.

I answered that question already. Just go and read the comments... I'm tired of this crap sorry.
    You people give your advice I give mine. OP will decide.
  • gigius72
    Options
    I see a lot of binge there. Please make sure that is really hunger. I don't want to sound rude, but it can be an eating disorder. I can relate to that. I binge and it is not really hunger... At times boredom, at times I'm greedy for food. There is too much calories difference when you binge.
  • clarab2021
    clarab2021 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of binge there. Please make sure that is really hunger. I don't want to sound rude, but it can be an eating disorder. I can relate to that. I binge and it is not really hunger... At times boredom, at times I'm greedy for food. There is too much calories difference when you binge.

You see binge where? In my diary?
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Small portions but eat more often.

Also chew more slowly.

I'm on 1200 calories when I first started this I was hungry ALL the time & obsessed with food. I tried a couple of different things but what ultimately worked was drinking 1 bottle of water before I ate anything to make sure I was hungry & not thirsty. (Now I can better tell the difference & the water consumption is simply a habit so I didn't get dehydrated).

Next I learned to build in a morning snack & an afternoon snack of about 100 calories: eat a piece of fruit; munch on some carrots; eat a bar if you must (I eat 90 calorie fiber one bars because I always need help with fiber intake & the bars are easily portable. The brownie one also gave me a sense of satisfaction, like I wasn't missing chocolate).

Good luck.
  • WeatherJane
    WeatherJane Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

She's only logged 4 complete days, and the most she went over her calories was 162. Of those 4 days can you point out all the binges you are seeing?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Another one for wondering about where the binge is...I see a few snacks but nothing crazy or over the top, most are regular portions of fruits and vegetables.
  • gigius72
    Options

You see binge where? In my diary?

Sorry I thought it was a screen shot of your diary. My bad.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I've had a look at your diary - assuming you're logging correctly, you're a Brit, right?

I've never tried Slimfast, but some people just don't get on with liquid replacing meals, when it comes to feeling full up. How hungry do you feel afterwards?

There's not really enough data to see a pattern, but are you typically eating most of your calories for dinner? Have you tried changing the timing of what you eat? Everyone is different, and it does change over your lifetime, but at the moment, I need a reasonable chunk of calories in the morning or my appetite goes crazy by dinner time and that makes me over-eat. It's not just about counting calories in, it's about figuring out when your body wants them.

I know some people have criticised your calorie intake - as a fellow shortie, I feel your pain. On a typical day, I only burn around 1,800 calories, so, yeah, 1,330 would be a good deficit for me too. I think tall people sometimes forget the advantage they have when it comes to getting higher numbers.

You're clearly a carnivore, so let me recommend these people for protein bars: https://battlebites.com/

You can get them direct, on Amazon or - and this by far the cheapest option - in Home Bargains. I know, Home Bargains, right? Unexpected source.

Battle Bites are an easy way of getting in protein (which helps with feeling full) but taste entirely like treats, so an easy win when it comes to swapping out chocolate. A normal bar is actually two little bars (which are also sold individually as 'mini bites') and it's about 114 calories for each little bar.

I do like Count on Us (you've logged some), it's the most palatable diet range if you have to eat ready meals. I mean, 95% of WW meals taste like cardboard, but if you choose wisely, a Count on Us meal doesn't feel like you've sacrificed anything. However, even the nice ones aren't as filling as homemade.

Swapping pasta + sauce for butter beans + sauce often shaves off calories and makes you feel fuller. There is, of course, a limit on how much beans you eat in a week if you live with other people and don't want to be antisocial! But beans do feel filling, and pasta sometimes is like air. You keep wanting to eat more and more of it, without registering you've had enough calories from it.

I think you just need to experiment with the quality of that 1,330 and the timing. Calories in < calories out = weight loss, that is true. But not all calories are equal when it comes to you managing to stick to that total of calories in - some will fill you up more than others. You have to keep trying out different things to find what works for you.
  • carolinelanewa
    carolinelanewa Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Are you having sugar in coffee etc? I am same height. I was on 1500 a day. Wasn't hungry at all. But I lost nothing while training for a triathlon. I was swimming , cycling 20kms a day, 4 pt sessions a week. Trainer and I couldn't work it out. Thought it was becauze i was over training. Everything went into my diary. It wasn't till it came up I drink 8 cups a coffee a day with a sugar in it that it clicked. Cut out that one teaspoon of sugar wella. At 50 my weight loss was a long slow process. 2 years it took to get from 73kg to 62kg. That's logging all my food. Nothing processed. Only fresh food. No booze. Trained 4 times a week with a PT. Had blood tests and everything. No reason. It just didn't want to leave. Now I am back on weight loss journey on my own this time. Focusing more on weight training then cardio this time. Don't know if it will work or not. Only week two.