• gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    gigius72 wrote: »
    clarab2021 wrote: »
    My goal is 1360 a day, but with exercise I can eat around 2000 to lose weight. Are you including exercise calories into this? I wouldn't be able to do just the 1360 either..I'd be gnawing at my arm I think lol.
    For reference, I'm 5'5", 173 lb.

No, I don’t include exercise calories.

I find it very difficult to lose weight, which may be linked to my age (40) but also PCOS.

Either way, I found when I was eating 1500 and exercising for 2-3 months, I stayed the same weight.

MFP said to drop to 1200 for 2 lbs per week, or 1330 for 1 lb a week loss - but I’m constantly hungry.

Get rid of all added fat if you add any (oil, butter, cooking spray), that will give you some more calories to spend. Switch in a meal beans for meat. It's still plenty of protein but it adds fibers. Try to eat beans in soup, water+fiber is a bulk that keeps you full. Snack on celery if you get hungry after meals, basically no calories but tons of fibers and water.
    I usually have a breakfast of about 600 calories and a lunch which is the same. For me is too low and I have to force myself at times to eat dinner because I'm still full from previous meal (due to the massive fibers I eat).
    Just my 2 cents, I hope you'll figure it out.

What’s wrong with added fat?

Added fat takes up calories and offers 0 satiation. You can use those calories to swap them with food which give station.

what are you defining as "added fat" ? Most all fats offer satiation, so not really sure what we are talking about here..

Whatever lol it's ok. I'm not playing this game, and if you really do not know what the difference is I'm sorry if I sound harsh. I gave my advice you gave yours. OP will do whatever he/she prefers.
  • clarab2021
    clarab2021 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

The shakes were an experiment because I’m frustrated with the fact I work out six days a week and I’m trying so hard to slim down and it just isn’t happening.

But I agree they are not a good long term solution.

I’ve been on 1330 per day for two weeks and no loss at all - in fact this morning I was back up to 180 lbs, from 178 or so.

I think I’m eating too much and that I have to go lower but it’s so hard because I’m so hungry all the time.

I find veg really helpful so I’ll try to add more raw veg for snacking.
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Try adding a very large green salad, but only count the calories in the salad dressing since a bowl of primarily lettuce, celery, cucumber & cabbage will have hardly any calories. The bulk of it with your meal may help to fill you up.
  • clarab2021
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

The shakes were an experiment because I’m frustrated with the fact I work out six days a week and I’m trying so hard to slim down and it just isn’t happening.

I’ve been on 1330 per day for two weeks and no loss at all - in fact this morning I was back up to 180 lbs, from 178 or so.

I think I’m eating too much and that I have to go lower but it’s so hard because I’m so hungry all the time.

Do you use a food scale to weigh all foods??

I do. I keep it on the counter and I check and check. I find it quite annoying in fact!

I’m eating more like 1400-1500 per day this week as I find when I go lower I’m just so hungry I obsess over food!

But I do weigh it all
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

You mentioned age 40 and PCOS. Are you still pre-menopausal, i.e., having cycles? If so, do you know what your pattern of water weight fluctuation is, associated with those cycles? There are women who reportedly gain as much 5-8 pounds or more at some point during their cycle (exact timing varies), but any amount of cyclical/hormonal water retention can hide fat loss on the bodyweight scale for a surprisingly long time. Two weeks on a new regimen is really not long enough to assess average weight loss (I think you said 2 weeks how long you've been at 1330?). That's a separate issue from the hunger, but it might be an issue in the big picture of seeing/not seeing weight loss on the scale, in a short-ish time period.

Also, you mention exercising and gaining at 1500 calories . . . did you change your exercise routine at all when you reduced your calories?

• gigius72
    edited January 2021
    Options
    My goal is 1360 a day, but with exercise I can eat around 2000 to lose weight. Are you including exercise calories into this? I wouldn't be able to do just the 1360 either..I'd be gnawing at my arm I think lol.

I find it very difficult to lose weight, which may be linked to my age (40) but also PCOS.

Either way, I found when I was eating 1500 and exercising for 2-3 months, I stayed the same weight.

MFP said to drop to 1200 for 2 lbs per week, or 1330 for 1 lb a week loss - but I’m constantly hungry.

Get rid of all added fat if you add any (oil, butter, cooking spray), that will give you some more calories to spend. Switch in a meal beans for meat. It's still plenty of protein but it adds fibers. Try to eat beans in soup, water+fiber is a bulk that keeps you full. Snack on celery if you get hungry after meals, basically no calories but tons of fibers and water.
    I usually have a breakfast of about 600 calories and a lunch which is the same. For me is too low and I have to force myself at times to eat dinner because I'm still full from previous meal (due to the massive fibers I eat).

Added fat takes up calories and offers 0 satiation. You can use those calories to swap them with food which give station.

what are you defining as "added fat" ? Most all fats offer satiation, so not really sure what we are talking about here..

Whatever lol it's ok. I'm not playing this game, and if you really do not know what the difference is I'm sorry if I sound harsh. I gave my advice you gave yours. OP will do whatever he/she prefers.

its not a game, it is a serious question...

I apologise. I have had this discussion with ketogenic people many times before, that it got old.
    Everything has a level of satiation. The stomach is a stretchy bag with nerves that work as sensors. These sensor are supposed to tell your brain when to stop asking for food. They measure the stretching, but there are also the ones for fat, I don't know why though the fat sensors seem not to be working well for everyone.
    If you add 1 table spoon of oil in your day of meals, that is about 150 calories. Half a big potato is about 70 calories, but I can even go for 100 calories. A cup of broccoli is 30 calories. You can make a good soup with spare calories for other vegetables.
    On one side you have one 1 table spoon of oil, on the other you have a large bowl of soup. You can understand that getting rid of the added oil will leave room for extra food. In addition if the extra food is vegetable instead of meat or eggs, you increase the number of fibers. Fibers slows down the digestion so they will keep you full for longer time. Even further more, some fibers are not possible to digest so you won't absorb those calories.
    I stopped buying nuts because I'm addicted to them. I can eat easily half of one of those big containers of deluxe mixed nuts. And I'm actually not even full after all those nuts... I'll spare you the number of calories because I'm ashamed lol
  • Latrellis
    Latrellis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    How much exercise are you doing? Are you eating enough protein, fiber? How much sugar? The more sugar I eat, the more I want. I'm eating 1700-1750 a day, which works for a 1 lb a week loss.
  • clarab2021
    Options
    Latrellis wrote: »
    How much exercise are you doing? Are you eating enough protein, fiber? How much sugar? The more sugar I eat, the more I want. I'm eating 1700-1750 a day, which works for a 1 lb a week loss.

Wow. I do eat more sugar than I should and I am working towards cutting down - I’m not sure exactly how much I have.

I prepare most meals myself and I eat a lot of whole grains and veg etc.

I have been on 1330 for about a month but this week I was just too hungry and I ate more like 1400-1500 per day - I’ve gained more weight and I am back up to 180 pounds.

I do feel upset. Sigh.
  • clarab2021
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone.

You mentioned age 40 and PCOS. Are you still pre-menopausal, i.e., having cycles? If so, do you know what your pattern of water weight fluctuation is, associated with those cycles? There are women who reportedly gain as much 5-8 pounds or more at some point during their cycle (exact timing varies), but any amount of cyclical/hormonal water retention can hide fat loss on the bodyweight scale for a surprisingly long time. Two weeks on a new regimen is really not long enough to assess average weight loss (I think you said 2 weeks how long you've been at 1330?). That's a separate issue from the hunger, but it might be an issue in the big picture of seeing/not seeing weight loss on the scale, in a short-ish time period.

Also, you mention exercising and gaining at 1500 calories . . . did you change your exercise routine at all when you reduced your calories?

Hi, yes still having cycles. I gain around my period but I have just had mine and still the scales show I have gained and gone up to 180.

I did have a bit of a cry this morning! I’m working out and I’m so hungry all the time and still I just don’t seem be slimming down.

Guys what should I do?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

Hi, yes still having cycles. I gain around my period but I have just had mine and still the scales show I have gained and gone up to 180.

I did have a bit of a cry this morning! I’m working out and I’m so hungry all the time and still I just don’t seem be slimming down.

Guys what should I do?

Can you open up your diary? It seems almost impossible you could have possibly gained on only 1500 calories.
  • clarab2021
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

Guys what should I do?

Can you open up your diary? It seems almost impossible you could have possibly gained on only 1500 calories.

It’s open
  • clarab2021
    Options
    I looked at your diary--it's bleak alright. May I ask how you know how much you were eating before Sunday the 24th? Your diary starts then. If you weren't logging before, that could be the problem. A few days doesn't give much of a trend.

Ah, I was logging manually on pieces of paper in the kitchen beside the scale! But now using app.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary--it's bleak alright. May I ask how you know how much you were eating before Sunday the 24th? Your diary starts then. If you weren't logging before, that could be the problem. A few days doesn't give much of a trend.

Ah, I was logging manually on pieces of paper in the kitchen beside the scale! But now using app.

Ah--Ok. The app is much more precise if used correctly, and much easier. However, those shakes are what's making your diary sad, and leaving you hungry.
  • gigius72
    edited January 2021
    Options

its not a game, it is a serious question...

I apologise. I have had this discussion with ketogenic people many times before, that it got old.
    Everything has a level of satiation. The stomach is a stretchy bag with nerves that work as sensors. These sensor are supposed to tell your brain when to stop asking for food. They measure the stretching, but there are also the ones for fat, I don't know why though the fat sensors seem not to be working well for everyone.
    If you add 1 table spoon of oil in your day of meals, that is about 150 calories. Half a big potato is about 70 calories, but I can even go for 100 calories. A cup of broccoli is 30 calories. You can make a good soup with spare calories for other vegetables.
    On one side you have one 1 table spoon of oil, on the other you have a large bowl of soup. You can understand that getting rid of the added oil will leave room for extra food. In addition if the extra food is vegetable instead of meat or eggs, you increase the number of fibers. Fibers slows down the digestion so they will keep you full for longer time. Even further more, some fibers are not possible to digest so you won't absorb those calories.
    I stopped buying nuts because I'm addicted to them. I can eat easily half of one of those big containers of deluxe mixed nuts. And I'm actually not even full after all those nuts... I'll spare you the number of calories because I'm ashamed lol

But fat is needed for many bodily functions. Also nuts have a lot of fat. So you cut down on fats with your foods and make it up with nuts?

OP--follow the macro breakdown on MFP. Eat what keeps you full. The advice to eat and fill up on veggies of any type is good. I don't believe in demonizing any food (fat or sugar), just portion it out. Good luck.

Yes we all need fat, but identify one food with one macro is wrong. You find all three macros in every vegetable (just with different ratio). Actually let me correct myself, every food has all three macros as I discovered recently that also meat has a form of carb inside. I haven't had any added fat or meat for 12 years.
    Nuts are really good for you. If you have a huge diversity of food you get a lot of health benefits. Nuts have been proven to give benefits in cardiovascular disease...I just can't eat 3 or 4. When I get to my ideal weight (hopefully soon lol) I'll re-introduce them in my daily way of eating.