Does fasted cardio burn more fat

Options

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    I would encourage you to do your own research on this. Many to most people will share their experiences and that's great! But it's just that...a nonmedical opinion. Research has suggested that there may be as much as a 6% increase in fat burning due to fasted cardio. Again, it's research in medical journals that could best answer your question.

Inevitably it is eating at a deficit over time that will create weight loss. With that being said, I like fasted cardio. I will usually prefer a fasted run to any other one. Big fat however, if I were to run fasted and come home and overeat then no matter how great the run was the fasted cardio wouldn't have made a difference and would have been done in vain.

Also and most importantly if you enjoy doing cardio fasted as opposed to not doing cardio in a fasted state, then ultimately, that is what matters most!
    I run/walk fasted each day (90 minutes) and then resistance train for about 30 minutes (one body part). I like training fasted because I don't worry about getting nauseous or feel like throwing up since I have no food in my stomach. Also, I don't feel hungry directly afterwards and can wait another few hours before eating.

And yes there is good medical science to show that you may burn a higher percentage of fat for fuel in moderate to low cardio exercise, but if someone trained higher intensity for the same duration, they'd likely burn more overall fat calories in total.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I read the second paragraph a few times. I think I get it...

Fasted cardio, part of the reason it works for me may also be added to the fact that I like getting out in the morning without breakfast first thing. I'm sure it's mixed with morning energy and not being weighed down by food. Today I packed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, ran 3 miles, walked one mile to the playground and while my son played I did one minute of jumping jacks and walked around the playground, another minute of jumping jacks, walk, repeat process three more times and then walk the mile home. It felt amazing, unbelievably amazing!!! I didn't eat the sandwich until long after I got home. I love fasted running! Rarely will I eat before a run but if it's a long run, I run with fuel for the "in case."
  • sflano1783
    sflano1783 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    sflano1783 wrote: »
    I'm in a calorie deficit and I walk 45mins most mornings in a fasted state op here.

How is your weight loss going?

Down 2kg within 2 weeks 1kg loss per week I have a free personal trainer helping me with my diet its all about what ya eat clean foods clean carbs
  • sflano1783
    Options
    I'm in a calorie deficit and I walk 45mins most mornings in a fasted state op here.

Down 2kg within 2 weeks 1kg loss per week I have a free personal trainer helping me with my diet its all about what ya eat clean foods clean carbs

Sadly untrue, that is some pure bro-science your PT is telling you, I did not eat clean (whatever your interpretation of that is) and still lost weight at the rate I intended and met my macro requirements. I had KFC and some homemade chocolate cake interspersed with homemade meals cooked with some great big dirty carbs.

Junk foods no good to me
  • sflano1783
    Options
    I am curious, you've been coming back and forth to the forums over the last couple of years, with the same sort of questions most of the time and seem determined to make weight loss more complicated than eating less and moving more.

Your method will only work for you if you can stick to it long term, can you see yourself still "eating clean" and not eating "junk" food for the rest of your life? If you do, what's different this time?

My diet plan changes when my body has adjusted to it so I'm eating a more balanced diet I can have a cheat meal once a week in a few years my goal is to be a bodybuilder so I'm working towards that
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options

"Clean" is subjective. And it's terminology that PT's use to get you to think it will lead to weight loss. You can eat "clean" and gain weight. Eating a burger patty from McDonald's and fresh organic ground beef of the same weight and fat content ISN'T distinguished by the body. All it does is break it down to it's simplest form for absorption (amino acids). Now WHOLE FOODS do hold more nutritional value and many times are less calorie dense, but don't let that whole "clean" eating fool you into thinking that's your cause for weight loss. It still boils down to calorie deficit. Not mention, like any other "diet", unless you're WILLING to eat that way for life, you're likely to regain when you get to indulge in the foods that aren't "clean" again. It's a typical cycle I've seen over and over again in the decades I've done this.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • sflano1783
    Options
    I am curious, you've been coming back and forth to the forums over the last couple of years, with the same sort of questions most of the time and seem determined to make weight loss more complicated than eating less and moving more.

Your method will only work for you if you can stick to it long term, can you see yourself still "eating clean" and not eating "junk" food for the rest of your life? If you do, what's different this time?

My diet plan changes when my body has adjusted to it so I'm eating a more balanced diet I can have a cheat meal once a week in a few years my goal is to be a bodybuilder so I'm working towards that
    I'm a bodybuilder for life and can tell you emphatically that I ate whatever I wanted (pizza and burgers) to bulk up and when I prepped for contests, I just ate more whole foods and less all the way up till contest finished. Then gorged again because I HATED the process of getting cut for contests. It's a lot of work for no payoff and possibly no placing.
    So how have I stayed in shape for 35+ years? I controlled my overall CALORIES. Yesterday I had M&Ms, tortilla chips and ice cream. So called "junk foods". And ENJOYED every minute of it. I just don't eat 5 servings of each. As mentioned the whole "clean eating" is a fitness myth that's been endorsed by trainers who really aren't in the know. They are just parroting what they hear without actually understanding how the body actually works. It doesn't HURT to eat "clean" (again subjective terminology because a vegan would think eating meat is "dirty") but if it's NOT a way you intend to stick to for life, weight regain is highly likely. You're much better off learning habitual behavior of learning how to control consumption of foods you actually like and enjoy.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm cutting down weight at the moment so I'm not bulking have to cut down to 80kgs then think about building up my body then so getting my body primed for when the gyms back open again down 2kgs in 2weeks so it's working fine for me
  • sflano1783
    Options

I'm a bodybuilder for life and can tell you emphatically that I ate whatever I wanted (pizza and burgers) to bulk up and when I prepped for contests, I just ate more whole foods and less all the way up till contest finished. Then gorged again because I HATED the process of getting cut for contests. It's a lot of work for no payoff and possibly no placing.
    So how have I stayed in shape for 35+ years? I controlled my overall CALORIES. Yesterday I had M&Ms, tortilla chips and ice cream. So called "junk foods". And ENJOYED every minute of it. I just don't eat 5 servings of each. As mentioned the whole "clean eating" is a fitness myth that's been endorsed by trainers who really aren't in the know. They are just parroting what they hear without actually understanding how the body actually works. It doesn't HURT to eat "clean" (again subjective terminology because a vegan would think eating meat is "dirty") but if it's NOT a way you intend to stick to for life, weight regain is highly likely. You're much better off learning habitual behavior of learning how to control consumption of foods you actually like and enjoy.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm not even tracking calories and I'm still losing so my meal plan does work for fat loss
  • sflano1783
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm not even tracking calories and I'm still losing so my meal plan does work for fat loss
    Dude all that means is you're eating in a calorie deficit. It's working now because of that. But let me ask you: are you ENJOYING eating that way? If so, then kudos to you. Because I can tell you now that if you hang out with friends or family THAT DON'T eat that way, you'll be in a mental fight if you're wanting to be able to indulge but can't because you got in your head that "processed" foods are voodoo. But I digress. You're not my client and I'm not here to sabotage your trainer. I'm just giving you advice from what I've done as a trainer for 35+ years with others successfully.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png[

Sure I was eating junk before and only lost 8kgs in 8 months 1kg per month that's no good too slow of a cut this is a lifestyle now that I choose to live eat train sleep
  • sflano1783
    Options

Good news on the weight loss.
    But seriously often personal trainers are the worst source of bro-science imaginable. Unless they have taken additional training in nutrition they really should stick to helping people with their exercise - that's what their PT qualification is actually all about.

I congratulate you on your aim to eat better but I really do fear that your are being dragged into pointless worm holes of fasted cardio and clean eating.

My pt is a bodybuilder and he does compete in bodybuilding shows
  • sflano1783
    Options

Good news on the weight loss.
    But seriously often personal trainers are the worst source of bro-science imaginable. Unless they have taken additional training in nutrition they really should stick to helping people with their exercise - that's what their PT qualification is actually all about.

I congratulate you on your aim to eat better but I really do fear that your are being dragged into pointless worm holes of fasted cardio and clean eating.

My pt is a bodybuilder and he does compete in bodybuilding shows

But that still isn't a nutrition qualification. You seem to be missing the point - you're down 2kg because you ate less per day than you burned. Not because you ate clean.

Even if you're not counting calories, ALL fat loss is down to a calorie deficit.

Oveas I know that I'm in a calorie deficit
  • sflano1783
    Options
    So yous are trying to get me to eat junks foods by the looks of it I have a no suger diet all clean healthy foods so no turning back I'm used of eating this way now so ya can't stop me now I'm doing it for myself not anyone else good luck