Replies

• sflano1783
    sflano1783 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    sflano1783 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    I'm in a calorie deficit and I walk 45mins most mornings in a fasted state op here.

How is your weight loss going?

Down 2kg within 2 weeks 1kg loss per week I have a free personal trainer helping me with my diet its all about what ya eat clean foods clean carbs
    "Clean" is subjective. And it's terminology that PT's use to get you to think it will lead to weight loss. You can eat "clean" and gain weight. Eating a burger patty from McDonald's and fresh organic ground beef of the same weight and fat content ISN'T distinguished by the body. All it does is break it down to it's simplest form for absorption (amino acids). Now WHOLE FOODS do hold more nutritional value and many times are less calorie dense, but don't let that whole "clean" eating fool you into thinking that's your cause for weight loss. It still boils down to calorie deficit. Not mention, like any other "diet", unless you're WILLING to eat that way for life, you're likely to regain when you get to indulge in the foods that aren't "clean" again. It's a typical cycle I've seen over and over again in the decades I've done this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Hi mate,
    If then can u help me out how much should I be losing each week for fat loss without risking losing muscle before my clean diet I was eating normal foods and some junk like chips etc but only lost 1kg per month in total 8kgs in 8 months straight. So I was thinking of trying to speed up my fat loss as its taking too long for me.
  • kerrym1980
    kerrym1980 Posts: 26 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Just wondering as there's no fruit or veg recorded in your diary for at least the last week, do you not bother to record, or do you not eat them? Not getting at you, just interested how this works if you're 'eating clean', as generally I've seen fruit & veg make up a major part of a 'clean' diet?
  • sflano1783
    Options
    kerrym1980 wrote: »
    Just wondering as there's no fruit or veg recorded in your diary for at least the last week, do you not bother to record, or do you not eat them? Not getting at you, just interested how this works if you're 'eating clean'?

Hi no fruit yet I have two portions of veg each day
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,609 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    [lost 1kg per month in total 8kgs in 8 months straight. So I was thinking of trying to speed up my fat loss as its taking too long for me.

So you're losing 0.51lbs a week.

The answer is that you're dealing with a continuum.

Given the exact same exercise stimulus, the more untrained, male, younger, smaller deficit and with sufficient fat reserves, the more likely you are to build, or retain muscle.

Most of these you cannot change.

You CAN change your exercise stimulus (both programming and intensity/application) and your deficits and their relative balance.

How to best do so is individualized and constrained by the fact that it also has to work for you, the individual, even if theoretically it becomes less than optimal.
  • sflano1783
    Options
    So yous are trying to get me to eat junks foods by the looks of it I have a no suger diet all clean healthy foods so no turning back I'm used of eating this way now so ya can't stop me now I'm doing it for myself not anyone else good luck
    Good luck. Let's see you in a year's time.
    Just now ate 3 longanisa sausages, 2 fried eggs and 2 avocados. Will throw in one serving of Philippine dried mangos to finish it off. And still lean.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Nice foods, I eat every 3 hours 6 meals a day
  • sflano1783
    Options
    Just wondering as there's no fruit or veg recorded in your diary for at least the last week, do you not bother to record, or do you not eat them? Not getting at you, just interested how this works if you're 'eating clean'?

Worth recording them as it's still a calorie intake and a whole load of important nutrients.

Shame you closed your diary in response to my question, it wasn't necessary and now means no one can give you pointers.

My diary is public now for anyone to have a look
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    So yous are trying to get me to eat junks foods by the looks of it I have a no suger diet all clean healthy foods so no turning back I'm used of eating this way now so ya can't stop me now I'm doing it for myself not anyone else good luck
    Just now ate 3 longanisa sausages, 2 fried eggs and 2 avocados. Will throw in one serving of Philippine dried mangos to finish it off. And still lean.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Longanisa is HIGHLY processed with nitrites and MSG. And if you didn't know it, the 6 meals a day was actually set up so that bodybuilders could gain more mass. Somewhere along the way, it was kept in (kinda like how they put functional training into fitness when it was originally created for rehabilitation) pre contest because bodybuilders DIDN'T want to lose mass. Which of course is what you're trying to do.
    Realize that you're eating less now. And as you lose, you'll even have to eat less than that to continue. Simple mathematics.
    And if you thought what you're doing is challenging, if you ever decide to try competitions, 16 weeks of hardcore dieting and training is pretty brutal on the body.
    Most big time competitors are classified as having eating disorders due to the amount they eat in offseason, then what they do to their bodies for comps. Part of the reason even competing as a natural, that I stopped competing in the late 80's. And it's even CRAZIER now with all the stupid supplements and drugs bodybuilders indulge in to get a little more edge. So much so that 14 year olds are stupidly taking drugs now for "gainz".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbFNrDayWag

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • PAV8888
    Options

You have a good thing going right now and your intensity is shining through.

It is fairly common for people to get caught up in the honeymoon and fail to plan for the post honeymoon time period. Human nature and all that.

Failing to plan increases the risk of being less able to react to future changes of circumstances

Most people here, as far as I can tell, seem to be suggesting to you that you may want to continue pursuing and pushing for your goals in a more balanced manner and with a more evident understanding of what is cause and what is effect when it comes to your recent successes

When you show such understanding other people become increasingly confident that you're going to be able to react to future challenges.
  • kerrym1980
    kerrym1980 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Worth recording them as it's still a calorie intake and a whole load of important nutrients.

Shame you closed your diary in response to my question, it wasn't necessary and now means no one can give you pointers.

My diary is public now for anyone to have a look

That's sensible. Now add the veg!

And honestly, listen to the people here who are trying to offer their guidance. They've done what you're trying to do, if you follow their advice you'll get where you want to be and they'll help you avoid the pitfalls along the way.

For what it's worth, there's no science to support 'clean eating', it's just another fad diet regardless of what your PT says. You could stop restricting yourself quite so much and still achieve your goals, and it'd be a whole lot more fun and varied.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Six meals a day - is that because you enjoy that eating patern or becasue your PT tells you it boosts metabolism?

• sflano1783
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Six meals a day - is that because you enjoy that eating patern or becasue your PT tells you it boosts metabolism?

My pt told me to eat 6 meals a day and every 3 hours or my body will hold onto the fat if I go longer than 3 hours max
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2021
    Options
    My pt told me to eat 6 meals a day and every 3 hours or my body will hold onto the fat if I go longer than 3 hours max

Hence my comments about cause and effect, understanding, and acquiring the ability to react to future challenges that may come about due to future potential changes to circumstances....

Meal and frequency timing. Type of food eaten beyond achieving certain basic health related minimums, and perhaps avoiding certain health related maximums, eating breakfast or not, fasting before exercising or not.

At times in this thread all of these have come up as particularly important components to success.

They're not.

They are just tools that can be used to achieve the success that you're achieving by eating at an overall deficit while exercising effectively.

You can use these and other tools and change them in a way that suits your circumstances and still achieve the same results.

The goal is to put you in the driver's seat as opposed to believing that there's some magic voodoo that is bringing success to your life
  • sflano1783
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Dude, that's total "broscience". Obviously your PT is echoing the "broscience" he/she learned as a gym rat and NOT from medical science.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So when am I supposed to eat??
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

If you actually care about eating a nutritious diet, eating a lot more veg and probably some fruit is a lot more important than excluding whatever you definite as non clean (which seems to vary by person).