Does fasted cardio burn more fat

Options

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I do cardio and always fuel my body beforehand. It does make me lose weight doing it that way.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,522 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    sflano1783 wrote: »
    kerrym1980 wrote: »
    Just wondering as there's no fruit or veg recorded in your diary for at least the last week, do you not bother to record, or do you not eat them? Not getting at you, just interested how this works if you're 'eating clean'?

Hi no fruit yet I have two portions of veg each day

If you actually care about eating a nutritious diet, eating a lot more veg and probably some fruit is a lot more important than excluding whatever you definite as non clean (which seems to vary by person).
    THIS. My evening meal and snacks include fruits and A LOT of vegetables. Lol, I snack on raw cauliflower just cause it's crunchy (I do use a low cal dip too).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sflano1783
    sflano1783 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So yous are trying to get me to eat junks foods by the looks of it I have a no suger diet all clean healthy foods so no turning back I'm used of eating this way now so ya can't stop me now I'm doing it for myself not anyone else good luck
    Good luck. Let's see you in a year's time.
    Just now ate 3 longanisa sausages, 2 fried eggs and 2 avocados. Will throw in one serving of Philippine dried mangos to finish it off. And still lean.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Nice foods, I eat every 3 hours 6 meals a day

Six meals a day - is that because you enjoy that eating patern or becasue your PT tells you it boosts metabolism?

My pt told me to eat 6 meals a day and every 3 hours or my body will hold onto the fat if I go longer than 3 hours max

I was afraid of that!
    How can you possibly hold on to fat if you are in an energy deficit? Going to make up the missing energy from sunlight perhaps?

Fasted cardio, 6 meals a day, clean eating......
    He is playing BS Bingo with you.

Next he will be selling you a load of supplements. Get out from under this guy's influence as he has zero clue about anything to do with biology.

He's my cousin 😂
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    So yous are trying to get me to eat junks foods by the looks of it I have a no suger diet all clean healthy foods so no turning back I'm used of eating this way now so ya can't stop me now I'm doing it for myself not anyone else good luck
    Just now ate 3 longanisa sausages, 2 fried eggs and 2 avocados. Will throw in one serving of Philippine dried mangos to finish it off. And still lean.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Six meals a day - is that because you enjoy that eating patern or becasue your PT tells you it boosts metabolism?

My pt told me to eat 6 meals a day and every 3 hours or my body will hold onto the fat if I go longer than 3 hours max

I was afraid of that!
    How can you possibly hold on to fat if you are in an energy deficit? Going to make up the missing energy from sunlight perhaps?

Fasted cardio, 6 meals a day, clean eating......
    He is playing BS Bingo with you.

Next he will be selling you a load of supplements. Get out from under this guy's influence as he has zero clue about anything to do with biology.

He's my cousin 😂

And that makes his advice probably well meant (I assume!) - but it's still uneducated utter rubbish based on nothing more than gym bro-science.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Dude, that's total "broscience". Obviously your PT is echoing the "broscience" he/she learned as a gym rat and NOT from medical science.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So when am I supposed to eat??

When you feel hungry, as long as you have calories available; or in meals of larger size less often if that pattern helps you feel more satisfied (some people eat one meal a day because they enjoy really big meals occasionally more than tiny meals often), and they still can lose weight . . . in fact, some of them will claim that the "only one meal" thing is the sole reason *why* they lose weight 🤣).

Some people find that when they eat affects their energy level, so can have more effective exercise sessions if they time their eating in particular ways. Other people find that if they eat too close before exercise time, they get stomach upset during exercise.

Some people find that their eating schedule affects their sleep quality . . . some because eating close to bed time makes their sleep quality poor, or others because being hungry at bed time makes their sleep quality poor.

Eat on any schedule that suits you, for reasons of fullness or energy or sleep quality or . . . anything that matters to you personally. It's pretty individual.

Same calorie level, same long-term weight loss, regardless of schedule. (Next day scale reading may differ on different schedules, just because of more or less food in your system, on its way to becoming waste, at the time of weigh-ins. Long term, it doesn't matter.)
  • AnnPT77
    edited February 2021
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    kerrym1980 wrote: »
    Just wondering as there's no fruit or veg recorded in your diary for at least the last week, do you not bother to record, or do you not eat them? Not getting at you, just interested how this works if you're 'eating clean'?

Hi no fruit yet I have two portions of veg each day

If you actually care about eating a nutritious diet, eating a lot more veg and probably some fruit is a lot more important than excluding whatever you definite as non clean (which seems to vary by person).

Saved me typing that: Thanks, Lemur!

OP, pretty much all of the authoritative sources on good nutrition are recommending a minimum of 5 daily servings of veggies and fruit. A few, the more forward thinking ones, are now saying that 10 daily servings is better. (Usually a serving is in the 80 gram or one cup kind of range, depending on the source and on food type). Do people eat 10 servings daily? Yup, I routinely shoot for and regularly hit 800 grams or more.
  • sflano1783
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Dude, that's total "broscience". Obviously your PT is echoing the "broscience" he/she learned as a gym rat and NOT from medical science.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

When you feel hungry, as long as you have calories available; or in meals of larger size less often if that pattern helps you feel more satisfied (some people eat one meal a day because they enjoy really big meals occasionally more than tiny meals often), and they still can lose weight . . . in fact, some of them will claim that the "only one meal" thing is the sole reason *why* they lose weight 🤣).

Some people find that when they eat affects their energy level, so can have more effective exercise sessions if they time their eating in particular ways. Other people find that if they eat too close before exercise time, they get stomach upset during exercise.

Some people find that their eating schedule affects their sleep quality . . . some because eating close to bed time makes their sleep quality poor, or others because being hungry at bed time makes their sleep quality poor.

Eat on any schedule that suits you, for reasons of fullness or energy or sleep quality or . . . anything that matters to you personally. It's pretty individual.

Same calorie level, same long-term weight loss, regardless of schedule. (Next day scale reading may differ on different schedules, just because of more or less food in your system, on its way to becoming waste, at the time of weigh-ins. Long term, it doesn't matter.)

Thanks,
    Yeah I used to just eat when I'm hungry now I eat every 3 hours it keeps me satisfied and not too full so I'm not going hungry each day with regular meals
  • sflano1783
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thanks,
    Yeah I used to just eat when I'm hungry now I eat every 3 hours it keeps me satisfied and not too full so I'm not going hungry each day with regular meals

There's no reason *not* to eat every 3 hours, if that makes you happy. There's also no reason not to eat on any other schedule, for the same reason. Timing is about preference (based on fullness, energy and whatnot). Calories matter for weight loss, not the timing.

Good nutrition (a characteristic of overall average eating habits over time, not individual foods or their "cleanness") matters for health, body composition, etc.

Yeah I had to give up sugar in my diet and no milk
  • sflano1783
    Options
    I need to get 185g of protein per day in and the rest carbs and fats
  • sflano1783
    Options
    My goal weight is 80kgs currently at 93.4kgs
  • AnnPT77
    edited February 2021
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thanks,

There's no reason *not* to eat every 3 hours, if that makes you happy. There's also no reason not to eat on any other schedule, for the same reason. Timing is about preference (based on fullness, energy and whatnot). Calories matter for weight loss, not the timing.

Good nutrition (a characteristic of overall average eating habits over time, not individual foods or their "cleanness") matters for health, body composition, etc.

If those things don't make you ill (i.e. allergies or something), there's no reason not to eat them. There are reasons not to eat so very much of them (or any other one thing) that you can't get other nutrition you need, within your calorie goal.

You can eat sugar or dairy, in reasonable amounts, in the context of an overall appropriate way of eating, and still lose weight, still be healthy, etc. - as long as you don't have a medical reason to avoid those things.

I'm not encouraging you to eat junk food. I'm encouraging you not to limit things you personally enjoy - whatever those may be - for bogus reasons. I don't eat fast food (don't like it), am vegetarian (for almost 47 years now, for reasons unrelated to health claims), eat those 10 daily servings of veg/fruit most days (love my veggies/fruit soooo much!) . . . I'd be the last person who would be a junk food defender, or say that a person *must* eat junk food.

Eat food you enjoy, get good overall nutrition, hit your calorie goal. That's the basics. Pretty much anything else is optional frou-frou, when it comes to weight management or health.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I need to get 185g of protein per day in and the rest carbs and fats

185 may be a little higher than minimally essential for protein, but it's reasonable. (Other USA-ians, his goal weight is 176 pounds, current weight is just over 205 pounds.) Should be doable, if your calorie goal is reasonable.
  • sflano1783
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thanks,

If those things don't make you ill (i.e. allergies or something), there's no reason not to eat them. There are reasons not to eat so very much of them (or any other one thing) that you can't get other nutrition you need, within your calorie goal.

You can eat sugar or dairy, in reasonable amounts, in the context of an overall appropriate way of eating, and still lose weight, still be healthy, etc. - as long as you don't have a medical reason to avoid those things.

I'm not encouraging you to eat junk food. I'm encouraging you not to limit things you personally enjoy - whatever those may be - for bogus reasons. I don't eat fast food (don't like it), am vegetarian (for almost 47 years now, for reasons unrelated to health claims), eat those 10 daily servings of veg/fruit most days (love my veggies/fruit soooo much!) . . . I'd be the last person who would be a junk food defender, or say that a person *must* eat junk food.

Eat food you enjoy, get good overall nutrition, hit your calorie goal. That's the basics. Pretty much anything else is optional frou-frou, when it comes to weight management or health.

Thanks Ann,
    My dentist used to say to me give up eating sugar so I drink ZERO Drinks with no sugar or calories in them eg diet cola or juice diluted
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    No.
    Loss of bodyfat is due to a calorie defcit over time and not what fuel ratio you burn during short periods of exercise.

At lower exercise intensities you burn a higher PROPORTION of fat to carbs but you are also burning less calories and quite possibly less AMOUNT of fat compared to higher intensities that burns more calories.
    If someone manipulates their exercise intensity to burn more carbs or fat that is negated when they next eat with more carbs or fat from your food either being stored or used.

Fasting for short periods does not deplete your onboard carbs stores enough to significantly influence the ratio of fat to carbs burned during exercise. e.g. you might have 2000 cals worth of glycogen stored and fasting overnight you are burning very, very little of that as you are running almost entirely on fat.
    Yay - sleep yourself thin! :wink:

When I was hooked up to a gas analyser in a sports science lab it wasn't until my pulse hit 130bpm (rough equivalent to cycling at 16mph) that carbs overtook fat as the predominant fuel being used.

This 💯
  • sflano1783
    Options
    Can I still lose fat eating anything once I track everything and weigh out foods even without getting the right amount of protein each day as long as its within my calories but if I go that way I might feel more hungry eating non clean foods as some junk don't fill you up
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Can I still lose fat eating anything once I track everything and weigh out foods even without getting the right amount of protein each day as long as its within my calories but if I go that way I might feel more hungry eating non clean foods as some junk don't fill you up

As long as you are in calorie deficit you will lose weight...
  • sflano1783
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

As long as you are in calorie deficit you will lose weight...

OK thanks