Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. Giving up snacks is one of the key points
    in the weight loss advice I give. But I had no idea that eating
    snacks is a cultural thing, and that in some cultures -- at least
    in France -- snacking is very minimal. Does anyone here know
    of other cultures in which snacking is not customary?

I am not positive, but I believe this also holds true for some other european mediterenean countries like spain and italy. Also, I believe some asian countries, like japan. Please jump in though to verify or correct me though.

Japanese children snack all the time. Conbinis are on every corner, sometimes 2 on a corner. Conbinis are convenience stores full of snacks. There's also vending machines about every 100 feet or so. The Meiji candy company is one of the biggest in the world. They also have some of the most unique flavors of doritos and potato chips you could imagine. Half of the grocery stores are snack aisles. The problem is not snacking. Americans and Canadians are fatter than the French, who are in turn are far fatter than the Japanese. The problem is overconsumption, not timing of consumption or what is consumed.

^This. I've seen many Japanese adults and children snacking a lot more than I've seen most Americans growing up. As Ginger said, it's about overconsumption of food (snacks and meals)...not timing or what is consumed.

While I don't disagree with you, isn't this potentially simplistic. IF (and I believe they do) studies show that consumption of snacks does not alter the amount of calories consumed at meal times for the majority of northern americans, then aren't we really potentially talking about the same thing.

Of course, I've known some teeny tiny women who graze constantly, but never (not even during meals) eat a lot at one time. But I guess that goes back to what works for the individual and the whole 'different roads to rome' comment.

Of course, I see no harm in discussing the topic and the whole 'alternate routes' as options to each of us.

You're focusing attention on snacking.

Several of us are focusing instead on calories.

They are not the same thing.

Snacking may or may not affect total calories consumed during the day.

If cutting down on snacking helps you lose weight, that's great! You have found something that works for you.

Some people go so far as to eat 1 meal a day, or even eat large amounts every other day and fast on alternate days, some people snack and others don't. The trick is getting the nutrition and calories correct. Focus attention there, and you will be successful.
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    the goûter at around 4:30 p.m that's a snack lol
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

I am not positive, but I believe this also holds true for some other european mediterenean countries like spain and italy. Also, I believe some asian countries, like japan. Please jump in though to verify or correct me though.

Japanese children snack all the time. Conbinis are on every corner, sometimes 2 on a corner. Conbinis are convenience stores full of snacks. There's also vending machines about every 100 feet or so. The Meiji candy company is one of the biggest in the world. They also have some of the most unique flavors of doritos and potato chips you could imagine. Half of the grocery stores are snack aisles. The problem is not snacking. Americans and Canadians are fatter than the French, who are in turn are far fatter than the Japanese. The problem is overconsumption, not timing of consumption or what is consumed.

^This. I've seen many Japanese adults and children snacking a lot more than I've seen most Americans growing up. As Ginger said, it's about overconsumption of food (snacks and meals)...not timing or what is consumed.

While I don't disagree with you, isn't this potentially simplistic. IF (and I believe they do) studies show that consumption of snacks does not alter the amount of calories consumed at meal times for the majority of northern americans, then aren't we really potentially talking about the same thing.

Of course, I've known some teeny tiny women who graze constantly, but never (not even during meals) eat a lot at one time. But I guess that goes back to what works for the individual and the whole 'different roads to rome' comment.

Of course, I see no harm in discussing the topic and the whole 'alternate routes' as options to each of us.

If cutting down on snacking helps you lose weight, that's great! You have found something that works for you.

Some people go so far as to eat 1 meal a day, or even eat large amounts every other day and fast on alternate days, some people snack and others don't. The trick is getting the nutrition and calories correct. Focus attention there, and you will be successful.

Actually, you are making a ton of assumptions about me personally, what I do, how I do it, and what I am or am not advocating. And you know the old saying about *kitten* u me ing things right? :smile:

Technically, this post was just to re-post an interesting article I read. I'm glad a lot of mfp posters found it interesting as well. I'm sorry you did not.
  • eloise46
    Options
    Italians do snack!!! Merenda features at least twice a day with the Italians I live with as well as their family and friends.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I come from non-snack cultures ( French-German) and have during the last 38 years lived and worked in over a dozen countries and no one snacks like the US does.
    I feel that apart from being older and really short I can easily live with 1200 calories and really eat a lot, because I don't waste any calories at all on snacks from processed junk that count as calories, but have no nutritional value whatsoever.
    If people would let go of snacks or at least some of them, many would be surprised what can be done with a lesser amount of calories and how that influences weight loss.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting!
  • BeachIron
    Options

Actually, you are making a ton of assumptions about me personally, what I do, how I do it, and what I am or am not advocating. And you know the old saying about *kitten* u me ing things right? :smile:

Technically, this post was just to re-post an interesting article I read. I'm glad a lot of mfp posters found it interesting as well. I'm sorry you did not.

No assumption necessary. It's a post about the snacking habits of the French on a "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" forum on a fitness and nutrition website.

Oh. I get it. There is no point but the discussion that the post elicited is clearly at odds with your own cherished beliefs? Carry on with the amazing cultural discoveries of bored Canadian housewives who just got back from their first foray into another culture and have decided to stop snacking. :flowerforyou:

ETA: If you don't want to have serious discussions about the articles you post, then use the "Chit, Chat, Fun and Games" forum.
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I am American. I have a 7 year old, a 5 year old and a 1 year old. We eat 3 meals a day and that is all. I think that American kids snack all day because parents use food as a reward and to keep kids quiet and happy not because kids really need that much food. I don't mean to offend anyone!! I think the French have gotten it right!
  • Mslmesq
    Options

No assumption necessary. It's a post about the snacking habits of the French on a "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" forum on a fitness and nutrition website.

Oh. I get it. There is no point but the discussion that the post elicited is clearly at odds with your own cherished beliefs? Carry on with the amazing cultural discoveries of bored Canadian housewives who just got back from their first foray into another culture and have decided to stop snacking. :flowerforyou:

Lmao. More assumptions, eh? Wow! You couldn't be further from an accurate description. But thanks for the flower. :smile:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

Lmao. More assumptions, eh? Wow! You couldn't be further from an accurate description. But thanks for the flower. :smile:

When no valid argument is available, comment on poster's use of emoticons, that always wins the debate. Lol. Love it!
  • BeachIron
    Options

lulz . . . an article with no point, by an author with no point, posted by an OP who continues to claim that she has no point? Really?

Again, try "Chit, Chat, Fun and Games" next time so you can avoid the discussions that clearly offend you.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Italians do snack!!! Merenda features at least twice a day with the Italians I live with as well as their family and friends.

Merenda, or " merienda " here in Mexico is a planned, culturally engrained small meal. It is not an unplanned, whenever-one-feels like it often junkfood meal on top of or right before another meal. In Italy ( at least the Italy I know ) la merenda often replaces just like here in Latin America dinner, or breakfast, because many people eat their main meal earlier or in the case of breakfast not at all. They have a piece of bread, maybe something left over, a piece of fruit and a cup of coffee/tea and that's it. It usually does not consists of cookies, chips, toaster food etc and especially is not eaten if a later dinner is planned or if a bigger breakfast was eaten. During my time in Italy and now living for 15 years in Latin America people have their merenda/merienda or they have dinner/breakfast, but usually they don't have both The same is true in the morning. Here in Latin America breakfast is early and consists of a cup of coffee and a piece of bread or maybe a tortilla. Lunch is never before 2pm. To bridge the the 7-8 hours between breakfast and lunch people eat a small meal here called " almuerzo " to bridge the time from breakfast to lunch ( 2-4pm ). This is not the same as the typically US way of eating a snack whenever one feels like it, especially justifying that life every day is so difficult that one deserves a " treat " or several each day. Or does your italian family by chance eat things that are similar to pop tarts, crispy creams, bags of chips, packages o cookies for their merenda....or is it something that is usually healhier ?
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    "snack" in our home when raising my kids was a piece of fruit, veggies and sometimes yogurt after school. And if it was put off to later, then I'd say wait for dinner.

None of my kids starved. in fact they all have pretty healthy bodies and eating habits.

I also limited the non-water fluids that they drank. Because let's face it, if you let them drink 3-4 glasses of OJ, they will! But I made water just a natural part of their daily intake, and now that they are all independent humans, they still follow through.

My goal was to ensure they learned to choose healthy, non-fat inducing eating habits. And it seems to have worked. yay for breaking the cycle!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Lol at the arbitrary limits set on snacking vs not snacking. If it is pre planned and involves food that someone randomly decided was healthy it's not a snack. Seems legit.

Now me, I don't snack. I'm too busy eating all day to snack.
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    @ beach. I appologize. I didn't realize that we were having a debate about something, or that I wasn't allowed to post a topic here many people found interesting, or that I was offended by you, or vice versa.

Obviously the topic is not of general interest to you. Is there something else I can help you with?
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Heck, things were different when I was growing up!

At home, we snacked on a piece of fruit or some veggies sticks. my mom did not buy soda, cookies, crackers, candy etc. And we were happy! In the summer, occassionally we'd walk 4 blocks to the 7-11 store & get a candy or slurpy or ice cream as a treat..

When travelling, she never 'packed food for snacking', nor water ( oh gosh, how did we survive!!). 99.9 % of meals were at home,

The gas stations were Gas stations, not mini marts. You'd be lucky to find 12 oz sodas, small candy bars, and chips there.
    No microwaves to heat up the non-existing burritos/nachoes that were smothered in non-cheese !.

There were no Starbucks on every corner & in every grocery stores.. (remember when Starbucks was just coffee, and not food & snacks?)
    Very few fast food restaurants. ie Golden Arches (McDonalds sit-down) & a few pizza places (sit-down).
    No drive thrus.

Oh my god, just remembered ! - no cup holders in the cars! HA!
    I remember when I was in my late 20s, I bought a plastic contraption that I hung from my car's side window to put a cup in. and everytime I rolled the window up (crank, not power windows), the contraption AND my drink fell on the carpet. after a few times, toss that plastic thing away !

Movies was regular size: popcorn / soda / candy.
    Baseball games : regular size. Skate arena: regular size. Minature golf : regular size .

These days, food is EVERYWHERE !! At every single retail checkout, even Macy's clothing department registers, or TJ Maxx registers.
    and we're surprised that we're consuming more calores and gaining weight?
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    one generalization about the French that i know is true is their lack of hygiene. i thought it was a joke but when i went to Paris i quickly learned it was not. nothing like having to hold your breath while your server is at your table so you dont have to smell her B.O.
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I am American. I have a 7 year old, a 5 year old and a 1 year old. We eat 3 meals a day and that is all. I think that American kids snack all day because parents use food as a reward and to keep kids quiet and happy not because kids really need that much food. I don't mean to offend anyone!! I think the French have gotten it right!

This is how I feel, based on what I see. Do any other American's see this as the real problem?
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    This made me think back to my childhood (early 80s in the midwest US) and we really didn't snack between meals. There weren't any snack foods in the pantry or fridge to raid. If I was really hungry, my mom would give me an apple, maybe, depending on how close we were to mealtime. If I recall, there also weren't a lot of processed snack foods available back then (hence they weren't in our home). Hmmmm, look at the emergence of processed foods over the last few decades in the US *and* look at the obesity rates (both adult and child) in the same population, and there you go. "Lightbulb" moment. Why are we doing this to ourselves???

Yes!
    This.

btw~ to this day, my mom (almost 80) is still concerned I'll "spoil my appetite" if I have something too close to meal time. LOL!
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    What bothers me about this article is that the author has cut out all after school activities so that they can stick to a rigid schedule of eating dinner at the same time everyday. I know some children are over scheduled but my son benefited a great deal from all the activities we participated in. He also needed to be in bed by 8:00 or 8:30 as a small child since our day started very early. In France that's their dinner time? And then they are up and eating breakfast at 7:00? I guess small French children don't require as much sleep as American children.

I think rigid schedules suck all the spontaneity and joy out of life. We had a schedule but it wasn't so set in stone that we couldn't deviate occasionally, or often...to go out and fly a kite because the wind picked up or get in a couple more sledding runs before it got too dark.. A granola bar would tide us over until we could get in a proper meal.