Saying "hi" while running - okay or not?

Options
1235»

Replies

• NickeeCoco
    NickeeCoco Posts: 130
    Options
    I got a high five the other day. We were running in opposite directions down the street (I always run on the wrong side. I wear headphones, so I can't always hear, this way I can see on-coming traffic). It was pretty awesome.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Depending on how strenuous the run is, sometimes it is difficult to say something - but I always acknowledge others with at least a nod. I think people who can't engage in basic social pleasantries have issues and/or were raised improperly.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    OP just be yourself, if you want to say hi and people don't respond just remember...

6OiBzbf.jpg
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I say "hi" or "good morning" with a little wave. :smile:
  • citznmag
    citznmag Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner, but I run on the weekends for fun. I don't know the do's and don'ts of the running community. So here's the thing...

First off, I think you're a runner if you run :).

On topic: I've been a runner for 4 months now and have wondered this myself. Personally, I think it's fine to acknowledge another runner/biker/walker. I do try to make eye contact 1st and smile and wait for a response. If I don't get one I'm fine with it and wish them well.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    If I'm walking, then you can say, "Hi," although I prefer to be left alone. I always have music on, anyway, so I probably won't hear you. So, just wave if you have to. Now, if I'm running, do not talk or wave because I'm out of breath and I need to save my energy. I avoid eye contact when I'm running and see someone approaching bc I don't want to waste my breath to say anything or my energy to wave.

I got a high five the other day. We were running in opposite directions down the street (I always run on the wrong side. I wear headphones, so I can't always hear, this way I can see on-coming traffic). It was pretty awesome.
    This goes against what I just posted, but if someone were to do that to me, I'd think it was awesome, too. However, I'm a germaphobe, so instead of the high-five, a thumbs up will do. Any other motivation ("good job"/"way to go"/"keep it up") that would not require any verbal response from me would also be acceptable.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I greet everyone. Anyone who doesn't respond in kind, I chase down and trip them.
  • teamAmelia
    Options
    I greet everyone. Anyone who doesn't respond in kind, I chase down and trip them.
    :laugh:
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    So it looks like I'm not breaking any special running rules that I didn't know about after all! Thanks for all the feedback.

I continued my greetings this morning on my run. When I didn't get a response, I just chalked it up to profound concentration and silently wished them luck getting through the next intersection in one piece.

I've also realized that when I can exchange just a word or two with someone, it gets me out of my own head and makes the next half mile a lot easier. I can't even imagine how super awesome it would be to get a high five or fist bump.

Happy running everyone! :happy:
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I always try to make eye contact and smile or nod or wave, because like Marc Parent says, isn't every runner a potential new best friend? And I feel that same fondness or "kindredness" of spirit toward anyone out trying to get a little exercise and improved health...bikers, fitness walkers, retired couples, moms with strollers. However, I don't hold it against any of them if they don't return my overture. That's their choice. But, I would feel wrong to let another person pass without acknowledgement. (I'm a southern girl transplanted north after all!)
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Finally, the perfect way to get those sprint intervals in! :laugh:
  • teamAmelia
    Options
    When I'm with my 3 y.o. though she says "hi" to absolutely everyone we pass, so it's good that we all stay a bit flexible with this I guess.
    Aww. That's cute.
    Actually, those people that find it rude when runners do not greet each other, do you say hello to everybody you pass when walking down the street or in the shopping mall, I am curious.
    Good point!
  • sealevels
    sealevels Posts: 123
    Options
    I usually run alone in the morning...and I'm a huge grumpypants in the morning. I don't usually say hi to anyone. Headphones in, eyes alert, legs moving.

In Philly, I've noticed that making eye contact makes most people uncomfortable. ETA: I've run on Kelly Drive and along my neighborhood streets - passed dozens of runners. None have even made an attempt to say hello or wave. Everyone is in their own running world.