• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    What do you mean by burning out, and why do you think it is related to the foods you eat? Are you being extremely restrictive?

I eat 1500 cal

Peanut butter without the bread
    Cheese
    Hot peppers
    Oatmeal
    Chicken breast
    Soups
    Shrimp
    Protein powder with almond milk

I mean my body feels fatigued

I don’t think it’s the exercise because it’s not that intense, could be sleep tho too but I get about 8 hours

On one of your other recent threads, you ask about how to classify the "HIIT exercises that you see on Instagram". If that's what you're doing, then they're intense . . . it's right in the name, y'know, HIIT = "High Intensity Interval Training".

If you're doing those, they're intense, and intensity causes more physical fatigue (as compared with lower intensity exercise), and can cause burnout. On top of that, if you do basically the same routine too frequently, you aren't giving your muscle groups enough recovery time. Too little recovery time is not only burnout-triggering, but can slow your fitness progress (because the recovery is when muscles build back stronger). No amount or type of food is going to undo all the counter-productive effects of excess exercise intensity or frequency. Harder exercise is not necessarily better exercise, for weight loss OR fitness OR health OR energy level.

further clarification would be is it really HIIIT? Or does OP think that he/she is doing HIIT? A lot of pepole assume they are doing HIIT but are not even close...

I share your concern, in the abstract, about the level of nonsense that's called HIIT these days. The other thread talks about "plank, squats, burpies, lunges". Is it really, truly HIIT?

I think it doesn't matter to my main point: OP reports burnout. OP reports "not that intense" exercise here, but asks questions on another thread about a type of exercise that may be intense, is in theory aiming to be intense (even if not in the traditional CV sense of the term), and exercise of a type that even (IMO) if not objectively intense, can contribute to burnout depending on current fitness level, lack of adequate recovery, etc.

Intense or certain types of under-recovered exercise can contribute to burnout. If that's the problem, poor eating habits can worsen the burnout, but excellent eating habits can't fully make up for it.

As an aside, I've been in the "HIIT" definition and claim-debunking discussion here often, on the "it's overhyped, overrated, often misnamed, and the research misrepresented" side of that argument. I didn't bring it up because it's a sidebar here, IMO. Also, while cross-checking what OP said about HIIT on the other recent thread (which I'd dimly remembered), I ran across a 2018 thread where I'd written a good bit of modern-HIIT-terminology skepticism *in a post by this very same OP*. 😆

The definition of HIIT that I always go by is 30 second burst oh high intensity sprinting/burpies/etc, followed by 30 second rest then repeat.

Tabata Training is fairly well modeled around this concept.

I do walk/jog/sprints on the treadmill but I don't classify them as HIIT but they are not steady state either...
    I don't think 95% of people that try it, do HIIT as it's described. I do believe most people do INTERVALS with a perceived rate of 90% but they are really only doing 75%-85%.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    The place to start is eating back some percentage of your exercise calories, which you said on your other burn out thread that you do not do.

I'll quote myself from that thread:
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Do you eat your exercise cals? Or are you eating 1500 cals, burning a load from exercise and effectively eating a NET number that's far fewer cals than you need?

I don’t eat my burned calories

Eating back 0 of your exercise calories is a sure-fire recipe for burnout.

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-

However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

I agree with this, and what Ann said. If you are doing the same thing every day, you aren't giving your body the time to recover if it truly is HIIT. And if this is a relatively new thing you've started, same thing.

Your foods DO appear to be quite restricted too, if that list is all you eat, although it's hard to tell when your diary is closed and we can't see amounts.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    What do you mean by burning out, and why do you think it is related to the foods you eat? Are you being extremely restrictive?

I eat 1500 cal

Cheese
    Hot peppers
    Oatmeal
    Chicken breast
    Soups
    Shrimp

I don’t think it’s the exercise because it’s not that intense, could be sleep tho too but I get about 8 hours

On one of your other recent threads, you ask about how to classify the "HIIT exercises that you see on Instagram". If that's what you're doing, then they're intense . . . it's right in the name, y'know, HIIT = "High Intensity Interval Training".

If you're doing those, they're intense, and intensity causes more physical fatigue (as compared with lower intensity exercise), and can cause burnout. On top of that, if you do basically the same routine too frequently, you aren't giving your muscle groups enough recovery time. Too little recovery time is not only burnout-triggering, but can slow your fitness progress (because the recovery is when muscles build back stronger). No amount or type of food is going to undo all the counter-productive effects of excess exercise intensity or frequency. Harder exercise is not necessarily better exercise, for weight loss OR fitness OR health OR energy level.

further clarification would be is it really HIIIT? Or does OP think that he/she is doing HIIT? A lot of pepole assume they are doing HIIT but are not even close...

I share your concern, in the abstract, about the level of nonsense that's called HIIT these days. The other thread talks about "plank, squats, burpies, lunges". Is it really, truly HIIT?

I think it doesn't matter to my main point: OP reports burnout. OP reports "not that intense" exercise here, but asks questions on another thread about a type of exercise that may be intense, is in theory aiming to be intense (even if not in the traditional CV sense of the term), and exercise of a type that even (IMO) if not objectively intense, can contribute to burnout depending on current fitness level, lack of adequate recovery, etc.

Intense or certain types of under-recovered exercise can contribute to burnout. If that's the problem, poor eating habits can worsen the burnout, but excellent eating habits can't fully make up for it.

As an aside, I've been in the "HIIT" definition and claim-debunking discussion here often, on the "it's overhyped, overrated, often misnamed, and the research misrepresented" side of that argument. I didn't bring it up because it's a sidebar here, IMO. Also, while cross-checking what OP said about HIIT on the other recent thread (which I'd dimly remembered), I ran across a 2018 thread where I'd written a good bit of modern-HIIT-terminology skepticism *in a post by this very same OP*. 😆

The definition of HIIT that I always go by is 30 second burst oh high intensity sprinting/burpies/etc, followed by 30 second rest then repeat.

I do walk/jog/sprints on the treadmill but I don't classify them as HIIT but they are not steady state either...
    I don't think 95% of people that try it, do HIIT as it's described. I do believe most people do INTERVALS with a perceived rate of 90% but they are really only doing 75%-85%.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Right, they are more likely doing interval training...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options

I eat 1500 cal

Cheese
    Hot peppers
    Oatmeal
    Chicken breast
    Soups
    Shrimp

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

But the correct definition really doesn't matter here, I still think, in terms of the OP question. Sure, it's always good to use accurate terms.

If OP is doing the exercises that are relatively energetic for them, or doing the same round of bodyweight/calisthenics exercises day after day without the base fitness to handle one or the other of those things, that can contribute to or possibly even cause the reported physical burnout, when repeated over a period of time.

Asking about "HIIT exercises" on one thread while saying "exercise is not that intense" on another caused me a little bit of cognitive dissonance. That's my problem, not OP's . . . but exercise is relevant as a potential cause of burnout, and food is not a panacea.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I eat 1500 cal

Cheese
    Hot peppers
    Oatmeal
    Chicken breast
    Soups
    Shrimp

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

But the correct definition really doesn't matter here, I still think, in terms of the OP question. Sure, it's always good to use accurate terms.

If OP is doing the exercises that are relatively energetic for them, or doing the same round of bodyweight/calisthenics exercises day after day without the base fitness to handle one or the other of those things, that can contribute to or possibly even cause the reported physical burnout, when repeated over a period of time.

Asking about "HIIT exercises" on one thread while saying "exercise is not that intense" on another caused me a little bit of cognitive dissonance. That's my problem, not OP's . . . but exercise is relevant as a potential cause of burnout, and food is not a panacea.

I agree. But it does help to know intensity of exercise when OP is referring to burnout.

I feel like I still don’t fully understand what op is burned out on. But maybe I missed it
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options

I eat 1500 cal

Cheese
    Hot peppers
    Oatmeal
    Chicken breast
    Soups
    Shrimp

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I agree. But it does help to know intensity of exercise when OP is referring to burnout.

I feel like I still don’t fully understand what op is burned out on. But maybe I missed it

Yeah, unclear. Hence speculation, by me and others.

I think this is the only relevant bit we got (the bolded, primarily):

I eat 1500 cal

Cheese
    Hot peppers
    Oatmeal
    Chicken breast
    Soups
    Shrimp