So Is Jason Fung right...or wrong...is insulin even a factor in losing weight...and other issues.

I am honestly curious what our own experts on MyFitnesspal think about the guy who is kind of famous or infamous-depending on whether you believe him or not- with his views on IF, fasting and keto. He is in favour of all of these three strategies though his favourite subject seems to be fasting, so is he wrong?
On a number of posts and replies I have seen these kinds of statements 'Fung was debunked by experts with more knowledge' or 'as soon as I've seen him mention I bailed'. Whenever I mention any of these three strategies and say why I think they work I get debunked that is for sure. I was suggested to ask the community what they really think so here it is.
First my own views. I think IF, fasting, keto work. At least in my own experience they do. From almost morbid obese at 285 lbs went to 190 lbs in twelve months, not super slim, but kind of healthy weight. I am a 50 year old relatively healthy male at 5.8. I have done all three but I have to admit lately I do have cheat days with high carbs, surprisingly even for me high carbs have not really effected my weight loss, if anything I felt I had more energy to put more pressure on my trainings. The only thing I have been very consistent is being in calorie deficit. I admit Fung got me into doing keto combined with fasting, so I am kind of grateful to him. His views on how insulin levels effect weight loss seemed credible so I tried to follow his advice and I feel I am successful, never felt better. Honestly, after years of unsuccessful attempts at losing weight here is a guy who explains how to do it and it works, a damn miracle in my book. And than I read on these pages I am wrong and Fung is wrong. That he is debunked by experts. WTF??? So I went to see the other argument. What I found is that essentially both sides argue the same thing except that, Fung says you go low insulin than you start burning fat and than you will lose weight. The other side says no he is wrong, you go into calorie deficit than your insulin level go down and than you start burning fat and than you will lose weight. The question of what came first the egg or the chicken...Both sides seem to be right, with one side claiming the insulin level is not that important it is the calorie deficit that is important. True, Fung doesn't speak of the importance of calorie deficit though, what he is saying is that with weight loss one's metabolism will necessarily go down so you can't really rely on that. That makes sense too, but the argument about CICO also makes sense. So I am at a loss why I lost the weight TBH. Fung seems to be right- i mean his strategy worked for me- but he seems to be wrong too, which is it...
I am curious to hear you guys sharing your views on the subject.

Replies

• bubus05
    bubus05 Posts: 121 Member
    edited February 2021
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    As a thought experiment:

If Fung is correct at some deep universal human physiological level, how does *anyone* ever lose weight and remain at a healthy weight long term, without doing *any* of IF, fasting, or keto?

Many people here (I'm one), and (for example) in the US National Weight Control Registry say that they've lost weight and kept it off long term without using IF, fasting or keto.

How is that possible? Do you believe we're mistaken about (or misrepresenting) what we do, or our results?

There are any number of articles critiquing Fung's theories in detail, at a research-findings level, from mainstream RDs, other academics, well-credentialed trainers, and more. They're not hard to find.

But the core question is above: How do you explain results from those who didn't follow Fung's "essential" methods?

I have no doubt that IF, fasting, keto can be effective. I don't even doubt the self-reports of those who find them near-magical tools. But the Fung-theory underpinnings simply don't pass the common sense sniff test, for me, because other methods work, too.

I dont believe you are mistaken or that you are misrepresenting what you do. I respect your opinion and everyone's opinion here. I kind of came to the conclusion that what works for some may or may not work for others, there is no absolute best when it comes to how to lose weight, except maybe the issue of calorie deficit, we all seem to agree on that. I can't even explain how I lost what I lost, I am happy nevertheless, much less how others lose with say a high carb diet. Whatever works works...
    I agree with the above posts, this industry is a cash cow, and Fung is taking full advantage of it.
  • karinkane2
    karinkane2 Posts: 6 Member
    His approach has worked for me. I liked his book because it referenced so many studies that weren't his own.

There are so many advice plans and programs out there that aren't based on anything but the author's personal opinion or experience, or one study of a few people, or QAnon type "research" that's basically some google searches for social posts written by influencers or bloggers hoping to make a few dollars (a current pet peeve of mine). His program is based on a lot of practical experience (his own, at his clinic) and a lot of outside scientific studies that he didn't create.

I've just started this year, but have lost about 10lbs doing intermittent fasting and eating a mostly Medi diet. It's higher fat (50-60% most days), but certainly not keto. I didn't really get that the book was recommending a keto diet, either. I eat a lot of beans and lentils and quinoa, as the book suggested, so the overall % of calories from carbs that I'm eating is usually about the same as the % from protein.

I also thought a lot of it was really just common sense. You overate, or have been overeating for years? Eat less. That's not a surprise. I think anyone who's followed nutrition at all would also agree that sugar and high glycemic foods also are a problem, which is sort of his second principle. And if eating less, and cutting back on sugar doesn't work, then he suggests intermittent fasting. That also makes sense to me, just because there doesn't seem to be any good reason for eating 3 squares a day plus snacks. I work in marketing, and know the history behind a lot of the ideas like "breakfast is the most important meal of the day". They were created by advertisers selling products. We study those campaigns and how successful they are.

There's also a lot more he could be doing if this were just a cash grab. I feel like we'd see all sorts of licensed products out there, like Atkins, Weight Watchers, etc do, or at least a better website! :)

Long story short, I agree with you. His program has worked really well for me, at least as far as weight loss and fitness go. Along with the weight loss, I'm running at about 2 min/mile faster than I was a couple of months ago (and doing that in the morning without eating breakfast), and generally feel a lot better mentally. So my experience matches yours. I'd say if it works for you, keep it up!

And if others have found something else that works - great! Keep that up, and all the best to all of us!