So Is Jason Fung right...or wrong...is insulin even a factor in losing weight...and other issues.

Options
124»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    bbeyer1792 wrote: »
    Caralarma wrote: »
    Dr Fung is a quack. You lose weight when you fast for 2 days... well no sh1t sherlock! Obviously eating less is going to cause weight loss. I once saw a video where he literally said calories dont matter. And he has so many brainwashed followers. I feel so sorry for them.

I had been counting calories already at 1200 and was still gaining weight, I started 14-10 IF at the same calories and I've lost 5 lbs

If you were gaining weight at 1200 calories you were either not using a food scale and or picking incorrect items from the database.

No it was correct, my bmr is 1280 so it's already not much of a deficit..

Your deficit isn't determined by your BMR . . someone with a BMR of 1,280 could be using more calories per day depending on their lifestyle. And they wouldn't gain weight on 1,200 calories, so we're back to measuring appropriately . . .

To this, I'd add that unless you've been in a sports/metabolic lab, BMR is an *estimate*. In theory (i.e. according to standard estimates, various of the common formulas) my BMR is 1100-1200 (at 5'5", 125 pounds, age 65, F).

I have my doubts, since I lose weight slowly at 1850 net while quite sedentary (outside of exercise, which I log and eat). I really should pony up the $$ for a test, and see.

This cuts both ways in this discussion: The so-called calculators could be estimating low, or estimating high. But pretending that estimate is accurate, and using that belief as justification for . . . whatever: I have doubts, personally. 🤷‍♀️

I have no science to support it, but I'd put good money on the idea that a person can train their body to limp along on fewer calories, by living with the assumption of low burn for a long time, and over-reacting to the surprising water weight that comes with trivial calorie intake increases so cutting back again. Pure speculation, though.
  • bbeyer1792
    bbeyer1792 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Dr Fung is a quack. You lose weight when you fast for 2 days... well no sh1t sherlock! Obviously eating less is going to cause weight loss. I once saw a video where he literally said calories dont matter. And he has so many brainwashed followers. I feel so sorry for them.

I had been counting calories already at 1200 and was still gaining weight, I started 14-10 IF at the same calories and I've lost 5 lbs

If you were gaining weight at 1200 calories you were either not using a food scale and or picking incorrect items from the database.

Your deficit isn't taken from BMR...your deficit is taken from TDEE. BMR is the calories you burn merely existing on this planet and nothing else. My BMR is around 1800 calories...my TDEE is around 3000 calories...I lose about 1-1.5 Lb per week eating anywhere from 2300-2500 calories per day...far more than my BMR.

What would my tdee be? I'm 4'10" 151lbs and am not active

Looks like probably around 1500-1600 calories if you're pretty much sedentary. If you have hormonal issues, you may benefit from IF by keeping glucose levels down possibly...but as has been said by multiple people, the problem with Fung's work is that he either thinks everyone is sick or diseased or even if they aren't, they should be eating a certain way anyway. He markets to the masses, not just to those who have issues and for the masses without issues, his stuff is quakery. There is no reason an otherwise healthy person needs to suppress the body's normal and natural insulin response by lowering glucose levels with IF.

And yes...if you're not active at all, it makes weight loss pretty dang hard. Keep in mind that regular exercise also has a profound impact on hormone regulation in the body...is there a reason you don't exercise? 8+ years ago when I started I had pre-diabetic blood glucose levels...I started exercising regularly, and that pretty much put an end to that issue in short order.

Honestly im lazy, I'm going to be getting a treadmill soon so that will help or when it finally warms up outside.

Your Future Self will thank you if you develop healthier habits around exercise now :)

There are plenty of ways to be active inside with zero equipment. If you need suggestions, do start a new thread on this.

What does "cold" mean to you? When I was in the military in upstate New York, we were issued all sorts of cold weather gear, and I learned that one can stay warm in very cold weather when dressed properly. I bundle up and walk all winter long. Unless there's snow. On day one I shovel, and then I snow shoe. I got my parka at a thrift shop for $10 and a friend picked up the snow shoes at a yard sale for $5.

Come see our exercising in the winter threads:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10808194/winter-months
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10811010/working-out-in-winter-climates/p1
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10809157/what-s-your-plan-for-the-winter/p1

Below freezing. I'm in ohio and up til this week it's been freezing amd I have to take my toddler with me.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,390 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Your deficit isn't taken from BMR...your deficit is taken from TDEE. BMR is the calories you burn merely existing on this planet and nothing else. My BMR is around 1800 calories...my TDEE is around 3000 calories...I lose about 1-1.5 Lb per week eating anywhere from 2300-2500 calories per day...far more than my BMR.

What would my tdee be? I'm 4'10" 151lbs and am not active

Looks like probably around 1500-1600 calories if you're pretty much sedentary. If you have hormonal issues, you may benefit from IF by keeping glucose levels down possibly...but as has been said by multiple people, the problem with Fung's work is that he either thinks everyone is sick or diseased or even if they aren't, they should be eating a certain way anyway. He markets to the masses, not just to those who have issues and for the masses without issues, his stuff is quakery. There is no reason an otherwise healthy person needs to suppress the body's normal and natural insulin response by lowering glucose levels with IF.

And yes...if you're not active at all, it makes weight loss pretty dang hard. Keep in mind that regular exercise also has a profound impact on hormone regulation in the body...is there a reason you don't exercise? 8+ years ago when I started I had pre-diabetic blood glucose levels...I started exercising regularly, and that pretty much put an end to that issue in short order.

Honestly im lazy, I'm going to be getting a treadmill soon so that will help or when it finally warms up outside.

Your Future Self will thank you if you develop healthier habits around exercise now :)

There are plenty of ways to be active inside with zero equipment. If you need suggestions, do start a new thread on this.

What does "cold" mean to you? When I was in the military in upstate New York, we were issued all sorts of cold weather gear, and I learned that one can stay warm in very cold weather when dressed properly. I bundle up and walk all winter long. Unless there's snow. On day one I shovel, and then I snow shoe. I got my parka at a thrift shop for $10 and a friend picked up the snow shoes at a yard sale for $5.

Come see our exercising in the winter threads:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10808194/winter-months
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10811010/working-out-in-winter-climates/p1
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10809157/what-s-your-plan-for-the-winter/p1

Below freezing. I'm in ohio and up til this week it's been freezing amd I have to take my toddler with me.

Hey, that’s cool for even tiny ones! Snow? Dledge riding! Ice? Walk on ice! Look at frozen leaves, try digging a hole into frozen soil, just rxplore a cold world! It’s not that you have to run outside, but just walk around with the wee one and explore.