Myfitnesspal

Message Boards General Health, Fitness and Diet
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Doubts about weight loss during peri menopause

findingmifindingmi Member Posts: 30 Member Member Posts: 30 Member
Hi Everyone,
I’m 44 years old. I have been reading SO many discouraging things about attempting to lose weight during peri menopause. I wonder if anyone out there can share a story of success during this time? Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone!

Replies

• Ddsb11Ddsb11 Member Posts: 529 Member Member Posts: 529 Member
    Have you read the post, Is It Over Yet? The Perimenopause Thread?
  • findingmifindingmi Member Posts: 30 Member Member Posts: 30 Member
    Yes, thank you, I saw that. I didn’t go too deep, but I didn’t really find stories of people who triumphed despite the peri menopause challenges. I read quite a few personal accounts about symptoms and struggles of peri menopause. Not much about how it still worked out despite all that.
  • Speakeasy76Speakeasy76 Member Posts: 314 Member Member Posts: 314 Member
    Yep, lost those last few "stubborn" pounds (or so I thought) at a slow rate without feeling deprived at age 43. I had already lost about 35 lbs, though, 8 years prior, and had been working out/strength training regularly (and wasn't technically overweight).

I know there are people on here older than me and who had already gone through menopause and lost a significant amount of weight, so hopefully they will chime in, too.
  • 33gail3333gail33 Member Posts: 389 Member Member Posts: 389 Member
    I did lose a large amount of weight early in perimenopause (age 43/44 - 37 lbs). I am now 55 and as I have aged I have found it more difficult to maintain and/or lose weight.

I believe one of the main things that make it more challenging as we age is sleep deprivation. A reduction in sleep quality has a negative effect on hormones that influence hunger, satiety and impulse control as well as energy levels - so if you are not sleeping well then that will have an impact. And it's hard to sleep well when your hormones are all over the place, and you are having hot flashes and night sweats. Also lower estrogen affects fat distribution and muscle mass, so it is possible we stop burning as many calories.

I don't say this to discourage you, there are loads of success stories on here and it definitely is doable! I say it to remind you to be kind to yourself in the process. I heard over and over that menopause should have no effect on weight loss, and that it should be just as easy for me, I was making excuses etc, and at times it really made me wonder what was wrong with me that it wasn't "easy" for me.

I really think that getting good sleep and keeping stress low is key (sometimes it's easier said than done.) :smile:
    edited February 24
  • Strudders67Strudders67 Member Posts: 851 Member Member Posts: 851 Member
    I'm in my early 50s and lost 47lbs simply by eating a little less than I was burning.

I reached my goal weight a year ago, and then unintentionally lost more when lockdown happened because I was out walking more (got furloughed, so not at work) and because I wasn't in the office where there always used to be an endless supply of snacks to eat. It was easier this time round because I'd found MFP, was tracking what I ate and wasn't kidding myself about my food intake.
  • jrh_this_better_workjrh_this_better_work Member Posts: 87 Member Member Posts: 87 Member
    I'm 51 and in the throes of perimenopause. About 7 years ago, I lost nearly 80 pounds using MFP! Sadly, through my own lack of discipline, I gained nearly 40 of that back. I'm back down 20 pounds since September 2020. It's slow going but that's because I'm choosing that journey. The hormone fluctuations during this period in my life do seem to show up more drastically (5lbs water weight on the scale when my period would normally appear when it used to be significantly less). Other than that, I'm relying on the science of CICO (mostly managed by eating less with a little exercise thrown in) and trusting that it works at any time in one's life.
  • vanmepvanmep Member Posts: 290 Member Member Posts: 290 Member
    I lost 40 pounds during that period of my life. That being said, I have 10 pounds left to lose and I'm blaming menopause for the fact that I can't seem to do it - wouldn't want to blame the fact that I like my snacks, nope not doing that :D
  • DEVikingsMomDEVikingsMom Member Posts: 6 Member Member Posts: 6 Member
    I lost all my weight (about 30 lbs) during perimenopause. And at almost 52, I'm still (STILL!) stuck in peri.

I've mentioned this before in several threads so you may have already read it ... but ... my theory based on my myself & my perimenopausal friends is that we all eat more than what we think (pre-covid, a ton of eating out & lots of wine) and move less than we used to. None of us walk our kids to school anymore, chase after toddlers, play ball after school, etc etc. Instead of splashing at the pool with the kids, we sit & eat. Almost all of us have desk jobs.

I lost weight consistently once I honestly & accurately tracked my food AND my movement.

That being said, it wasn't easy (is it ever lol) & the monthly weight fluctuations can be crazy. I still use a daily weight tracker that helps keep me on track by smoothing out the crazies.

edited February 25
  • wunderkindkingwunderkindking Member Posts: 137 Member Member Posts: 137 Member
    The real advantage I've found to weight fluctuation is that I pretty consistently can tell when my period will start, based on what the scale is doing.

That's maybe backward for most but given how irregular things are right now, that's useful!

• kshama2001kshama2001 Member Posts: 23,483 Member Member Posts: 23,483 Member
    When I was younger I had active jobs and walked more. For me it is harder to lose weight when my activity is less. Nothing to do with age or hormones.
  • Pipsqueak1965Pipsqueak1965 Member Posts: 348 Member Member Posts: 348 Member
    I lost around a stone then and have kept it off. So it's not impossible at all.