Doubts about weight loss during peri menopause

2»

Replies

• Nothing changes about cals in cals out during perimenopause. I’ve lost and gained during it. I think these are just stories that get in the way of just getting on with what you need to do. It’s the same as the ‘my metabolism is slow’ story. Just not true for the majority of people
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,804 Member
    findingmi wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    I’m 44 years old. I have been reading SO many discouraging things about attempting to lose weight during peri menopause. I wonder if anyone out there can share a story of success during this time? Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone!

Lost 25 kg when I was 48/49 during perimenopause.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    If you have ANY doubts about being able to lose weight as you get older, check out this lady. I don't use the word "inspiration" loosely, but to me, she is one.

https://www.trainwithjoanofficial.com/
  • So glad I have found others who have peri menopause, I'm struggling with weight loss but I really need to get on top of this , my moods are as up and down as weight ,today I've decided to up my calories ,but still have a deficit as I feel I'm setting myself up for failure ever day then when I go over them I give up, I'm looking into upping my protein to see if that helps with the ravenous cravings I've been getting and to try and be a bit kinder to myself.
    My joints hurt and its a real effort to move and go out for walks, although I always feel better for actually doing it, anyone else?
    Anyone take any supplements/ vitamins that have helped?
    Sorry I'm going on without any actual purpose , Good luck everyone we can do this
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    So glad I have found others who have peri menopause, I'm struggling with weight loss but I really need to get on top of this , my moods are as up and down as weight ,today I've decided to up my calories ,but still have a deficit as I feel I'm setting myself up for failure ever day then when I go over them I give up, I'm looking into upping my protein to see if that helps with the ravenous cravings I've been getting and to try and be a bit kinder to myself.
    My joints hurt and its a real effort to move and go out for walks, although I always feel better for actually doing it, anyone else?
    Sorry I'm going on without any actual purpose , Good luck everyone we can do this

One recommendation is to get your iron levels checked. I was dangerously anemic during peri and it didn’t help my activity levels at all!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    So glad I have found others who have peri menopause, I'm struggling with weight loss but I really need to get on top of this , my moods are as up and down as weight ,today I've decided to up my calories ,but still have a deficit as I feel I'm setting myself up for failure ever day then when I go over them I give up, I'm looking into upping my protein to see if that helps with the ravenous cravings I've been getting and to try and be a bit kinder to myself.

One recommendation is to get your iron levels checked. I was dangerously anemic during peri and it didn’t help my activity levels at all!

Also add thyroid check. Joint stiffness, discomfort were among my first symtoms, and it's easily treated.

Seconding Springlering's stretching/yoga suggestion, too: Helped me even before my hypothyroidism was resolved.
  • Thankyou both I did get myself out for a long walk today and generally felt more motivated, I won't let my joint pain win over and Will definitely take your advice on stretching and exercising, Thankyou for taking the time to reply I really appreciate it 😊
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited March 2021
    I have also lost 13 kg (ca. 30 lbs9 since last May, and I am 57. What I do notice is that I have had to log more carefully and do exercise that was more bodyweight focused than swimming which is what I did when I lost the smae amount of weight a few years ago. For me getting through to menopause from peri-menopause alo meems to have made a difference: I think my hormones settled down and I wasn't hungry all the time in quite the same way. However, I continued to gain until I my clothes started not fitting and made the decision to lose it all again. The key is logging (food and exercise) and keeping my calories maintenance level. I'll be properly into maintenance after Easter which is great but will also be a challenge!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member

Oh, yes, I have crippling fatigue when my anemia is out of control :(
  • 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 230 Member
    I lost 60 pounds during that time a few years ago. I put a lot of it back on but that was due to my choices and behvior rather than peri menopause or menopause. I am losing weight now again due to my choices and behavior. I am not saying it is always easy, but weight loss has never been easy for me (and probably most of us.) I am actually finding it easier now because I have accepted certain truths, there is no magic, I am responsible for my health and my choices, this is aa lifestyle, not something I do until I reach a certain weight and then I'm done.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Also add thyroid check. Joint stiffness, discomfort were among my first symtoms, and it's easily treated.

Seconding Springlering's stretching/yoga suggestion, too: Helped me even before my hypothyroidism was resolved.

And Vitamin D levels. Mine was crazy low and caused both joint and muscle pain. I was getting regular sunshine at the time (southern US, light skin, time outdoors most days, poor sunscreen usage).

I have lost weight both in peri-menopause (quite a lot of weight) and in menopause (~15 lbs gained over the 10 years in-between and 10 lbs extra). I wouldn't say either was harder than weight lost earlier in life, but this last time was the easiest due to MFP and the great advice on these forums.