WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2021

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,832 Member
    Katla - The only Miss Marple I didn’t like was Geraldine McEwan. She was badly miscast I think. Joan Hickson was the best. Julia McKensie is pretty good.

DH is doing his latest jigsaw - The Human Body. So far he's done, Flags and Capitals of the World, The Periodic Table, The Tree of Life, The United States of America and now this. :D It’s to help us with our TV quizzes.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

That's funny ... I've always thought that Geraldine McEwan was the best Miss Marple by far, with Julia McKensie coming in a rather distant second. I've never particularly liked Joan Hickson as Miss Marple. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    csofled wrote: »
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) The CDC guidelines for what people can do safely after being vaccinated is much more restrictive than most people seem to think. We don't plan to do anything different until a whole lot more people are vaccinated and the incidence of new cases drops to nearly zero. Our county has the highest vaccination rate in our whole state.
    :) One of the possible side effects of the second vaccine in swollen underarm lymph nodes so when I made my appointment for my annual mammogram, the scheduler made sure it was several weeks after my second shot so if I had swollen lymph nodes they wouldn't show up as a concern on the mammogram.
    <3 Barbie in NW WA

Couldn't agree with you more! We are not changing anything! Glad to see we are not the only ones waiting. Also the same regarding the mammogram. Mine is in August.
    My daughter and I should both be fully vaccinated by mid April. The hubs is on a waiting list at Walmart. He's not in any of the current groups yet however they will call you if it comes to throwing away expiring doses.

Cheri
    in very windy CS, TX

I agree as well.

Despite the fact that a lot of people are being vaccinated in places like the US, the number of new cases is still disturbingly high. And some countries have barely begun vaccinating.

mw6fh4riovwe.png
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
  • Machka9

Last night I sauteed two steaks for Lee and Galen, and Lee prepared the two baked potatoes. I made green beans too. Now I have their potato skins leftover in a big container. Really only thing I think to do with them. Cut them up into bite size pieces, add cheddar cheese. What do you ladies do with your leftover baked potato skins? If I was eating it #1 there wouldn't be leftover skins, lol! But neither guys eat the skins!

Birthday hugs to the gals that had a birthday or will this month. (You know a birthday celebration lasts the whole month right)? I DECLARE IT!
    Oopsy I yelled that.💕
    Rebecca

If you google Potato Skins ... they're a treat! there are heaps of recipes.

"Potato skins, also sometimes referred to as potato jackets, are a snack food or appetizer made of unpeeled potato halves, hollowed and dressed with bacon, cheddar cheese and green onions before being baked again. They are commonly found on the menus of casual dining restaurants in the United States."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_skins

When I bake potatoes, I eat the inner part of the potato rather than throwing it out, but the skin is the best part!

A whole month of celebration sounds good to me ... but I'm going to have to start climbing stairs again to work it off!

Machka in Oz

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,444 Member
    Machka in Oz, I shall Google!👍. Yes I personally love potato skins, and I think my husband and son are odd birds. I think the Navy has ruined their taste buds!
    💖👍 Rebecca
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    ❤🧡💛💚💙💜🤎
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Okie - Yay for water!

Heather - Thanks for the brownie recipe.

Rebecca - Enjoy your potato skins.

Lisa - Hope things go well with the plumber.

Sunny day today. I spent an hour outside doing some pruning and putting things away. I would like to spend some time tomorrow cleaning up the gazebo. I am ready to be able to sit out there again.

Welcome to the newbies.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • csofled
    Machka9 wrote: »
    csofled wrote: »
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) The CDC guidelines for what people can do safely after being vaccinated is much more restrictive than most people seem to think. We don't plan to do anything different until a whole lot more people are vaccinated and the incidence of new cases drops to nearly zero. Our county has the highest vaccination rate in our whole state.
    :) One of the possible side effects of the second vaccine in swollen underarm lymph nodes so when I made my appointment for my annual mammogram, the scheduler made sure it was several weeks after my second shot so if I had swollen lymph nodes they wouldn't show up as a concern on the mammogram.
    <3 Barbie in NW WA

Couldn't agree with you more! We are not changing anything! Glad to see we are not the only ones waiting. Also the same regarding the mammogram. Mine is in August.
    My daughter and I should both be fully vaccinated by mid April. The hubs is on a waiting list at Walmart. He's not in any of the current groups yet however they will call you if it comes to throwing away expiring doses.

Cheri
    in very windy CS, TX

I agree as well.

Despite the fact that a lot of people are being vaccinated in places like the US, the number of new cases is still disturbingly high. And some countries have barely begun vaccinating.

mw6fh4riovwe.png
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

AND .... the appearance of variants to he virus gaining speed .... is truly scary 😨!

Cheri
  • csofled
    oqkk1xod9qug.jpeg

WE HAVE WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okie in the TX Hill Country

YIPPEE!!!
  • csofled
    The few tulips that survived our week of winter hell in Texas!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,335 Member
    Did tracy Long DVD today (weights). Tomorrow I’ll probably do an Extreme Cardio DVD. That’ll be the last time I go to this gym. I’ve enjoyed it

Lisa – I hope those antibiotics work

Mrs_Hoffer, Carol and katla – thanks for bringing jana here. And, jana, welcome!

Pat OH – good luck at the doctor’s

Did a thorough vacuum and have one load of laundry in. Will probably do at least 2 more tomorrow. After exercise tomorrow will probably go to WalMart since the gas station near there is the cheapest (not by much) and return some things to WM that I really didn’t need. No sense taking it all home.

Rebecca – I, too, eat the potato skins and so does Vince. Wish I could help you

They have the pool closed here. To me, it is warm enough to lay out in the sun, but I guess it isn’t warm enough for the natives….lol It BETTER be warm enough for me to lay in the sun tomorrow!!!!!

Debbie – your fruit sounds oh so good

Heather – I have a recipe almost exactly like yours if not the same one. Yes, it is goooooood

Okie – yea for water

Lorri – welcome to a very warm group. We do discuss diets, etc but we also discuss what’s going on in our lives since that affects how/what we eat. Some people (like me) eat and eat when they’re under stress. Then there are people like M who lose their appetite when under stress. If you’re like me, many times these wonderful ladies offer a great solution

There’s supposed to be a launch of SpaceX tonight at 9:58pm. That’s a time I can live with. The launch has a 90% chance of a “go” so I do hope it goes up.

Michele
    who is very very sad
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Barbie - I agree, we are still under a lot of restrictions in our home, we still don’t allow visitors except certain circumstances. I heard today that the vaccines are proving ineffective to the Brazilian variant. I am praying that’s not true.

Rebecca - pretty afghan. my daughter and her husband use separate blankets.
    I eat the potato skins my husband doesn’t, I usually throw his out. I grew up in potato country and never bought a potato in my life until we moved here. It hasn’t sunk in yet that potatoes are expensive here. It’s only been 23 years.

Okie - Woohoo💦💧💦

Katie - that took a bit to make sense. I would love to have mine done and submitted, my husband has no interest, I think our girls do though so I may know someday.

I had another busy day today, I feel that’s going to be the recurring theme until late June.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,335 Member
    Drkatie - wow is all i can say. I was actually having trouble following everything

Michele :(
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,194 Member
    edited March 2021
    Dr Katie - So interesting. I guess that's life, but only a shock to people because secrets were kept that shouldn't have been. The truth shall set you free. I have always found secrets to be corrosive and nearly always rebound.
    Being away from home , or loneliness at home means people, quite naturally, seek comfort and affection.
    But, what an interesting world we live in! I sooooo wish DH would give it a go. I would hate to have absolutely no idea where I came from. He found his mother and twin sister 27 years ago, but his mother didn't want to know. Father unknown. Reputedly, purely hearsay, he was a married father of three other children. It was during WW2.

I'm currently enjoying a new programme on DNA on TV.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,194 Member
    Csofled - The news I have rom yesterday is that the Pfizer provides good protection against the Brazilian variant, and a decent, but less, protection against the South African. There will be tweaks made so we can get top ups for other variants as they turn up. My second vaccine will be in April as we have a 12 week gap for ours.
    We still have very tough restrictions in the UK. We won't be allowed indoors with anyone until May. Shops are still shut, apart from food shops.
    I'm delighted with our numbers locally. Let's hope they stay that way with the kids all back at school this week. :o

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    We’ve had our first Pfizer jabs and have appointments for the second jabs on March 30. I am pleased. I attended a city meeting this evening. It was a Zoom meeting and ran until midnight. We had nobody near us during the meeting.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,367 Member
    edited March 2021
    Morning, afternoon and evening all...

Limping through the remaining issues from the antibiotics - Cipro starts to damage the connective tissues if taken for long amounts of time, and for me that appears to start about the nine day mark. As a result, my right hip feels like I'm 90 instead of 60. Now that I'm finished with the Cipro, the tissues will begin to heal, but it takes a few days

Plus the combination of Cipro and Flagyl just knocks me out - all I want to do is sleep for the last few days I'm taking them and a few days after. So, each month it's ten days of antibiotics, then a week of recovery from the antibiotic side effects, then two weeks where I'm watching my body to see if the antibiotics worked this time.

Happier news - the antibiotics do clear up the massive mouth ulcers that seem to be connected to all this during each ten-day run. I've started using biotene rinse and toothpaste, hoping it will keep the mouth ulcers at bay.

Supposed to rain today - hope it doesn't deter the plumbers from getting their work done. Can't see why it would, but you know how that goes.

Katie

Sounds like a lot of secrets in the prior generations... I tested out 70% British/Irish descent, 3% Native American, and the rest European in general. No one has caught up to me yet except one of my half brothers that I grew up with, my mom's son. The whole thing is fascinating.

Time to get Corey's lunch made and get him out the door. Made a lemon butter cake bar last night and need to send the bars with him to work - used the yogurt cheese I've been making instead of cream cheese, and it turned out awesome. Too awesome. Needs to be off the premises... :smiley:

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • Machka9
    edited March 2021
    Katla49 wrote: »
    I attended a city meeting this evening. It was a Zoom meeting and ran until midnight.

Ugh ... that is not my idea of a nice evening! Midnight!! :open_mouth:

I like that my cycling National Committee meetings are Zoom so I can put my headphones on to listen, put myself on mute, turn my video off and do other things. I pop in from time to time if I feel I need to comment, but the rest of the time, I'm catching up on email, watching TV, doing my nails, and working on other projects. And the whole meeting is usually only about 1.5 hours ... thank goodness!

During our AGM, I was actually at a bicycle film festival and plugged into the AGM with my phone!! :lol: The film festival finished and I had to pay attention to the meeting for a few minutes in the lobby, then I was at the bus stop waiting to go home for the finish of the meeting.

I'm not a big fan of meetings.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Getting To Know You ...

How many pillows do you sleep with?

Do you have any recurring dreams?

What's the longest you've gone without sleep (and why)?

What’s The Funniest/Oddest/Most Unusual Place You’ve Ever Fallen Asleep?

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Happier news - the antibiotics do clear up the massive mouth ulcers that seem to be connected to all this during each ten-day run. I've started using biotene rinse and toothpaste, hoping it will keep the mouth ulcers at bay.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa

Vitamins C and B help me with those. Especially the Vit C sugarless chewable ones.