Strava app = 974c
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    I have a question- what appointments are you putting off until after the pandemic eases up? I need to see a dentist, dermatologist, gynecologist/mammogram, and eye exam. I did see the primary care family practice guy last fall but the rest I put off. I will do the rest after I am vaccinated.

Annie in Delaware

I started attending appointments in August when the pandemic eased up. I've been for dental, optical, GP, mammogram, MRI, neurosurgeon and physio ... and probably more. Plus my husband's appointments.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Machka's questions:Getting To Know You ...

How many pillows do you sleep with? Two. One big flat one, and a mushy smaller square one. I either lay on my left or right side with both under my head. When I lay on my belly, I push away the square pillow and double the back corner of the large pillow. This is only if I have my head to the right. Head he left, on my belly, I just put my left hand under the large pillow. I also rock myself to sleep. Have since I was a baby.💖

Do you have any recurring dreams?-no, but I did have two dreams after my mom passed that I remember crystal clear to this day.

What's the longest you've gone without sleep (and why)?- only about 20 hours when husband had transplant. I just wandered the hospital.

What’s The Funniest/Oddest/Most Unusual Place You’ve Ever Fallen Asleep? Behind the grease pencil writing map board in CIC (combat information center) only husband's frigate.💖.

💖 Rebecca
  • Machka9
    Options
    I have so many recurring dreams and often wake up exhausted from all the tension. It's a relief to wake up.
    Often I am having to organise things and people in big meetings.
    Sometimes I am travelling by train and everything is going wrong. Miss the train, can't get tickets etc
    Often I am driving and the brakes won't work.
    Phones never work in my dreams. They are often the old fashioned kind, sometimes in a phonebox, or all the wall.
    Water figures heavily. Floods in a house, or threat of complete inundation from outside.
    Teaching, or acting dreams. Never in the right place and never have stuff prepared. Often late, or can't get there.
    Taking my school exams. Haven't prepared the right answers, or not studied at all. Despair.
    Can't find a toilet. Going up and down loads of dangerous stairs to try to find one in a huge building. Fear of falling.

Waking up is a relief. I sometimes shout out or scream if I am being attacked and DH puts his hand on my shoulder to wake me up. <3

I don't find sleep very restful! :laugh:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I have a lot of those same dreams!

But not usually with water.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Katla - These are not new dreams. They have been going on for years. For me the lockdown has been relaxing. I love not having committments to meet. I've been suffering much less from envy of other's success or wonderful lives. Because they haven't got them. I'm rather dreading normal life returning. Then I have to worry about keeping up. Where to go, what to book, read, listen to, see, visit, publicise etc etc. Aaarrrrgggghhhh! Envy is my middle name. >:)

Heather in Hove UK, only wanting to get back to the grandchildren. All the rest can go hang!

Xxxxxxxx

Like you, the dreams aren't new.

Like you, this pandemic has been relaxing. I just wish we would have another shut down this winter.

Machka in Oz
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that I am finding the pandemic relaxing, but I do find myself getting anxious, as in real anxiety, about "going back to normal." My work life has been so different this past year, and I have rather enjoyed working from home a couple days a week. I also have become a big fan of the Zoom meeting. The chat feature allows me to "pass notes" to others in the meeting without the teacher seeing us! Lol

Back in the before times, we had to text each other our sarcastic and witty comments. Harder to keep that a secret.

But seriously. I am a little nervous about returning to normal. Then that makes me anxious about the vaccine, but not for the reason you think. I am afraid once I am fully vaccinated, everyone (my husband) will think we can just jump in where we left off, and I am not mentally or emotionally prepared to do that. I didn't even know I felt this way until Biden announced that he would have enough for vaccine for any adult who wants one by June. Yikes. I was not expecting it until fall.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Rrrrrr
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,125 Member
    Options
    Pillows: - I have four plus another for my knees when I sleep on my back. One special orthopaedic pillow when I sleep on my side plus another for my knees.

I can sleep almost anywhere. Oddest place was overnight on the porch of a Swiss chalet in a thunderstorm.

I have pulled a few all-nighters when I used to play computer games. But generally just drop off wherever I happen to be when I get tired.

I used to have recurring dreams of floating above my own body in various circumstances, and soaring among the stars. I never remember my dreams these days.
  • Machka9
    Options
    I wouldn't say that I am finding the pandemic relaxing, but I do find myself getting anxious, as in real anxiety, about "going back to normal." My work life has been so different this past year, and I have rather enjoyed working from home a couple days a week. I also have become a big fan of the Zoom meeting. The chat feature allows me to "pass notes" to others in the meeting without the teacher seeing us! Lol

Back in the before times, we had to text each other our sarcastic and witty comments. Harder to keep that a secret.

But seriously. I am a little nervous about returning to normal. Then that makes me anxious about the vaccine, but not for the reason you think. I am afraid once I am fully vaccinated, everyone (my husband) will think we can just jump in where we left off, and I am not mentally or emotionally prepared to do that. I didn't even know I felt this way until Biden announced that he would have enough for vaccine for any adult who wants one by June. Yikes. I was not expecting it until fall.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

I was very anxious about that too back in July when we returned to something like normal - and especially when I had to return to working in the office. I completely understand!

As I've mentioned, I wish we could shut down again ... I don't really like "normal", especially working in the office!!

Anyway, Google "re-entry anxiety" and "pandemic". There are heaps of articles about it. You are not alone.

Here's one:
    10 Tips to Manage Re-Entry Anxiety Related to the COVID-19 Pandemic
    https://adaa.org/learn-from-us/from-the-experts/blog-posts/consumer/10-tips-manage-re-entry-anxiety-related-covid-19

I have been using Tip 5 from that list a lot!

5. Take a Gradual Approach
    If required to resume certain activities, doing it gradually, one step at a time (while following guidelines), rather than rushing into things full force, is likely to work better. Gradual, as opposed to sudden resumption of an activity, is the preferred approach for anxiety. Don’t pressure yourself or compare with others in the process. Besides, prudence and caution are strengths in a pandemic.

I haven't even brought all my shoes back into the office, or my pictures of my husband and me ... and I've been back since August. I just don't quite feel comfortable fully returning to the office yet.

For the first month or so, I dressed quite casually at work. I just wasn't ready to dress up as I did before. I did start dressing up again in about November. However, it's only been since Christmas that I've started wearing earrings other than the studs I wore at home during shutdown. Little things, I know, but for some reason significant to me.

One of the things I enjoyed about working from home was listing to ABC Classic FM and I've set that up on my phone so I can still do that when I want. I did a lot in the beginning and less so now.

Normally, my husband and I go to the symphony and plays, but I haven't even looked at what's on offer ... if anything yet.

I actually get rather annoyed when organisations we're a part of want to have in-person meetings. Can't we Zoom? Or just exchange a couple emails. We "should" be going to the Brain Injury Peer Support meetings, but haven't. The next one is a Zoom meeting again and we'll try to "attend" that.

We are still just talking about returning to Physio Pilates - if we do, that will only be three of us: my husband, me and the physio so it's not a big crowd or anything but all three of us are hesitating still.

And if places are even remotely crowded, we leave. Even though there have been no cases here in 10 months, we have no desire to be around crowds of people.

It's a very slow process for us and things may never entirely return to "normal" ... and that's OK.

One thing I'm very glad of is that we introverts, we who have large personal spaces, can say we don't want to go out or we don't want people around us, and that's accepted. :)

Another thing I'm very glad of is that if a person is ill, the person is not expected to carry on as normal. Now it is expected that we will stay home when sick. :)

Machka in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    :)<3
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🌜😴🌛
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    I have a question- what appointments are you putting off until after the pandemic eases up? I need to see a dentist, dermatologist, gynecologist/mammogram, and eye exam. I did see the primary care family practice guy last fall but the rest I put off. I will do the rest after I am vaccinated.
    Annie in Delaware

I haven't put off any medical appts. I somehow feel safest in those environments if I have to go out. I've been to the dentist, gynocologist, general practitioner and my oncologists. Some of the appts when possible have been virtual.

Cheri
    in windy TX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Qqqqq
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    How many pillows do you sleep with? I always slept with two until a couple of years ago when my neck started hurting and I switched to one. I still have two on the bed though.

Do you have any recurring dreams?
    YES! I have recurring dreams about bears in different settings and have since I was a child. I can still tell you about one I had when I was around 5. I also have a recurring dreams where I am in the pedway system in downtown Edmonton that I’m either lost in or it leads me to unexpected places. The last time it led me to the middle of a ship that took me to the Northwest Territories where I was shown where my Grandfather worked in the woods. If you know Canadian geography at all, you’ll know how funny this one was. I haven’t been in Downtown Edmonton in the pedways since 2008.

What's the longest you've gone without sleep (and why)? The week leading up to my Dad’s passing I stayed at the hospital with him 24/7 because he asked me to and Mom couldn’t handle it. I never slept for more than an hour at a time, that whole week.

What’s The Funniest/Oddest/Most Unusual Place You’ve Ever Fallen Asleep? My parents had a picture of my asleep on the potty. As an adult, I fell asleep at work one night. I love car naps and driving long distances makes me sleepy. I have had to pull over lots of places on long road trips to have a 20 minute snooze.

Barbara- I love your funniest place to fall asleep, you must have been exhausted or something...🤫

I love my iPhone, but I hate the upgrading process immensely.

Kelly - Have a wonderful trip!

Barbie - Isn’t it marvellous how different we all are.

Allie - glad you got the nosebleed stopped. When my brother was little he had terrible nosebleeds, the doctor told Mom to make jello and kit him drink half of it before letting it set. He still does it to avoid them. I don’t know if it would help you or not though.

Pip - love the shower curtain.

Carol - my MIL is the kindest, most loving and hardest working person I know. She had a very hard life, she doesn’t talk about it a lot, but those that knew her when she was a little girl told me some stories.

Annie - I haven’t out any appointments off except for hair. My doctor set up appointments for physicals and bloodwork, mammogram etc are all in places that know to follow the infection control protocols. I would be more concerned about having my overall health at risk than catching Covid in one of those places.

Flea - there was a group of quilter bees in a neighbouring community where I grew up. I know they made a couple of quilts that each member made blocks and signed them. The quilts hung in the church basement. In that community their were, sisters, Aunts, grandmothers and friends. As for the A. Cody. My daughters call my best friend Aunt. Maybe it’s an honorary Aunt not a biological one.

The pandemic has not really affected my work life at all. I worked everyday, some days longer than normal, have to wear a mask and a visor when I’m out of my own office and we can’t eat together. The biggest effects that the pandemic has affected us is that Rodger only worked two months last summer instead of seven and like the rest of the world are not able to see our girls and grandchildren. We did see them in the summer last year outside, but since Dec 9 we have not been allowed to visit inside.

Machka - Another thing I'm very glad of is that if a person is ill, the person is not expected to carry on as normal. Now it is expected that we will stay home when sick
    I do agree with this, employers need to get on board though and give sick pay no matter your position or job. Too many still think that people are faking and should just come in regardless of restrictions.

I have spent all evening trying to get caught up while chatting with a friend that needed an ear.
    I’m tired now and going to head to bed soon I think.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We planned to order dinner from our local Thai restaurant and discovered they were not open for business. 🙁 I hope they are able to reopen one of these days. 🌺
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - Another thing I'm very glad of is that if a person is ill, the person is not expected to carry on as normal. Now it is expected that we will stay home when sick
    I do agree with this, employers need to get on board though and give sick pay no matter your position or job. Too many still think that people are faking and should just come in regardless of restrictions.
    Tracey in Edmonton

I am fortunate that here in Australia we are given quite a decent amount of holiday time. We get 4 weeks (20 days) of annual leave right when we start working somewhere and more once we reach 10 years. Plus 12 days of public holidays. Plus different places have different ways of acquiring more time. I'm on a plan where I get an additional 10 days. So in total, I get 42 days (7 weeks) a year off.

Plus there's personal leave = sick leave, carers leave, bereavement leave, etc. I am able to use that for both my and my husband's appointments.

So with all of that, if you want to take a Monday off for whatever reason, no one bats an eyelash.

I do wonder if that's part of the difference between C19 here and C19 in the US.

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    A year ago, I posted this on Facebook.

48pbebswa2mq.png

It's beginning to look like a decade of uncertainty!
    Volcanoes and earthquakes all over the place.
    Virus continuing into year 2.
    Oh well, life is all about change.

Machka in Oz