Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,127 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Morning all.
    Tracey: - 👹 Phone updates!!!
    Flea: - I agree with you re the anxiety re getting back to normal. So many people are not listening to the science and want to just jump back to the way things were pre-pandemic.
    Machka: - It's not just introverts who feel that way. I'm very extrovert, but I'm also not rushing to get up close and personal, even with non-strangers. There are a lot of ostriches out there, burying their heads in the sand, and I want to avoid them as much as possible. I will not be pressured into getting up close and personal for quite some time.

I so agree - 2020s - the DECADE of uncertainty!

Allie - glad you got the nosebleed stopped.

I haven't really put off appointments. However all the social groups organised by the lifelong learning charity I volunteer for have been curtailed, apart from a few ZOOM based ones.
    🙂 The enforced isolation hasn't been that much of a problem. In fact I have rather enjoyed not having to organise the groups I lead. It has left me much more time to write, paint, read, garden etc. I am seriously reconsidering my workload there.
    👫 I have loved the extra time I have to spend with DH, especially the walks.
    😄 I have loved the extra regular interaction with my adult grands during our weekly family Skype, especially my DGD Liz, who lives a works in Oxford.

I am ever grateful that I have company in my isolation, and that we have few worries about finances in our retirement. I am only too aware that many are not so fortunate.

My innards have recovered from their tantrums over my indulgences for DYD's birthday Sunday - Wednesday. Over-indulgences are a calculated choice which I am increasingly questioning. Much as I enjoy them at the time, is the transient pleasure really worth 2 days of suffering? The jury is out on that verdict.

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    You can tell when my 50 km rides have been! We're trying to do at least one each month. We'll see how far we get with it. :)

orc4rcj60hrl.png

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited March 2021
    Options

Morning all.
    Tracey: - Phone updates!!!
    Flea: - I agree with you re the anxiety re getting back to normal. So many people are not listening to the science and want to just jump back to the way things were pre-pandemic.
    Machka: - It's not just introverts who feel that way. I'm very extrovert, but I'm also not rushing to get up close and personal, even with non-strangers. There are a lot of ostriches out there, burying their heads in the sand, and I want to avoid them as much as possible. I will not be pressured into getting up close and personal for quite some time.

I so agree - 2020s - the DECADE of uncertainty!

Allie: - glad you got the nosebleed stopped.

My innards have recovered from their tantrums over my indulgences for DYD's birthday Sunday - Wednesday. Over-indulgences are a calculated choice which I am increasingly questioning. Much as I enjoy them at the time, is the transient pleasure really worth 2 days of suffering? The jury is out on that verdict.

☘️ Terri

I'm in the same place with my innards! I indulged quite a bit over the weekend for my birthday and that was lovely ... some of my favourites meals. BUT ... I was really glad to get back to my usual diet. :)

M in Oz

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Good Thursday March 11th,
    Lots going on, busier than a squirrel preparing for winter, on page 12!
    <3
    Kylia in Ohio
  • TerriRichardson112
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Machka:
    My exercise times seem longer, but I'm sure my intensity is much much less than yours. I take lots of short walks during the day.

e94tob3q74du.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    I do 150 + minutes exercise every day and it doesn't vary much.
    AM - Rowing, elliptical, stationary cycling, yoga, pilates, weight training. PM - Rowing, stationary cycling. (Or could be running, or walking)
    I aim to burn 900+ calories a day through exercise. Usually, I do.
    The lockdown has helped with the regularity of exercise, because I have no other commitments, like travelling, or outside clubs to go to. I can fit Zooms in around it.
    I eat a lot of delicious food and it's a very very, important part of my life, so I have to really go for the exercise. :D I have stayed the same weight over the pandemic.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka:
    My exercise times seem longer, but I'm sure my intensity is much much less than yours. I take lots of short walks during the day.

e94tob3q74du.png

Well done!

Unfortunately I don't have as much time as I would like. I get my commute walk, a walk at lunch, and occasionally a walk after work.

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Ugh another night of not sleeping well and my daughter,granddaughter and I all have hair appointments today starting at 11:30 and we will be there awhile..
    Here is hoping i can stay awake..
  • Machka9
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I'm sure you've heard of mindfulness and "being fully present".

Why do we need to be fully present in each moment?

This is an honest question.

Why can't we let our imaginations take us away?

Your thoughts?

I'm putting together some ideas on what really relieves stress ... in me, and maybe others as well.

Machka in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Page 16
    Julie- barefoot most of the time when not at work. Socks sometimes.
    Tracey- I feel you on the training! I do most of it after hours. In fact was up at 3 am to get some work done this morning. There is little to no extra time when shop is open and I am the only one who apparently knows what is going on!

Speaking of work, better get ready as heading in early.
    Broke a molar on Tuesday evening. Dentist smoothed roughest edge, but can't get in for crown until Tuesday 16th. Lots going on. More later,
    Love you LADIES!
    Kylia
  • TerriRichardson112
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I'm sure you've heard of mindfulness and "being fully present".

Why do we need to be fully present in each moment?

This is an honest question.

Why can't we let our imaginations take us away?

Your thoughts?

I'm putting together some ideas on what really relieves stress ... in me, and maybe others as well.

Machka in Oz

I have to say that I don’t think letting your imagination necessarily conflicts with being mindful. I firmly believe that imagination and creativity are crucial to our total well-being.

Allowing ourselves to daydream is a very mindful decision.

When I am in my imagination I am fully present in the moment, often to the exclusion of everything else.
  • TerriRichardson112
    Options
    Heather: - You and I both have the luxury of being able to augment calories to allow us to eat well. Long may that continue.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Oh I feel so bad.. my hairdresser just called to cancel our appointments, she got the vaccine yesterday and is sick as a dog... Tracy very disappointed but what can you do.. tentative appt next thursday at 5 pm.. i know Tal will be disappointed too..
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: Worked on taxes all the day long, pending answer to one charitable deduction fed vs state, ready to file. Board meeting.
    Bonus: veg prep, typed hymns.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, c-19 vaccination, file taxes, board minutes, call S, fire district: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments, Last week in March: call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments.
    Mindful March:
    10: Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face: Tuesday yes, Wednesday nope, lashed to the computer doing taxes.

Heather the phone saga would have been worst nightmare if I’d gone ahead and tried to activate both at once with no chargers in hand… ;) Me I prefer the hairy bikers look so of course Joe is clean shaven :laugh: There will be bacon avocado sandwiches on toasted sourdough in our future. Joe gets fresh tomatoes on his, none of the squishy slimy things for me. :sick: Your description of “it’s a relief to wake up” exactly describes my recovery from recurring nightmares. I was HAPPY to be able to wake up and go to work and NOT still be in that dream/nightmare world. Struggling up muddy, quaking slopes ,shepherding several dependents, while being chased. Occasionally a trusted/beloved one morphing horrifyingly into an antagonist. Familiar locations suddenly threatening. Falling. Ugh. We are both lucky in having DH’s who awaken us when we scream in our sleep.
    Machka somehow missed those Miss Marple series on our PBS. Will see if available to stream. I loved Helen Hayes as Miss Marple ;) Didn’t realize you slept so rough during your long tours, nor went so long without. Wow! “if a person is ill, the person is not expected to carry on as normal. Now it is expected that we will stay home when sick.” IMHO the best change to come from this pandemic would be a permanent change in “corporate culture.” Amazed at “if you want to take a Monday off for whatever reason, no one bats an eyelash.” Back when I was working, ALL Monday absences had to be either pre-approved or accompanied by a Dr’s note to avoid disciplinary action. “Volcanoes and earthquakes” and wildfires and floods and power outages and snow/ice in Texas, and and and…
    KJ I’d love to eavesdrop on your dream conversations ;)
    Barbie "You can choose what you do but you can't choose what you like." Truth this.
    Kay I too am thankful for my boring life. Manufactured enough drama in my youth and if I need an infusion I can always call my SIL. ;)
    Pip I want to stay in that shower curtain! :love:
    Tracey most likely “…or something…” :wink: “a lot of unknowns in our family history” oh yeah. While in theory I believe its healthier to be open and truthful, in some cases it’s better to leave the past behind and undisturbed. Hard to know which until you’ve opened Pandora’s box. ;) So there is no river/water passage from Edmonton to the NW Territories? :laugh: Mama always took jello before surgeries or dental work. Mama also had a very hard life and now I wished I’d gently probed/asked/listened while she was around. Would you MIL tell stories if you asked?
    Katla russet potato skins, si! Slimy sweet potato skins :noway:. Another thing I dislike about baked sweet potatoes is they tend to be stringy. Peeled, sliced and sautéed is the way. Polio at the local swimming pool? Makes me shudder to remember swimming lessons in the Bay Area at the height of the polio epidemics, and grateful for dodging that bullet.
    Annie we haven’t put of any Medical or DDS or vet appointments due to the pandemic. Health maintenance (Chiro, massage) had to be postponed during the initial lockdown but now recur monthly with precautions. Haircuts for us all (including the dogs) are out, as are any inside activities (church, line dancing, T’ai Chi, nail parties, etc). After our second vaccinations have time to settle in, I’ll try returning to church etc.
    Hap2go those oofos look interesting. My plantars fasciitis has receded since making ankle exercises part of my “before getting out of bed” routine.
    Welcome @2021WLjourney Bri! Yes, belonging is a big thing, and something I think I still seek.
    Michele safe travels!
    Flea what a fascinating mystery your quilt is! Have no quilting experience, but if you like cozy mysteries I highly recommend Alisa Craig’s (Charlotte MacLeod’s) The Grub and Stakers Quilt a Bee.
    Tina do your knees hurt more when it rains?
    Debbie your “sleeping in my lap” reminded me that when I was a child I liked to curl up in a pillowcase and sleep. Video appointment for pap smear? LOL! SMH.
    Allie good for you getting out for a walk. Well done! Sorry your haircutter feels sick after the vaccination.
    Carol when you fly in your dreams, do you soar effortlessly or must you flap your arms?
    Rebecca when I dream of Mama or Papa, they are both young and healthy. Gradually I remember that they aged, suffered and have gone ahead. I try to grasp and keep them and wake in tears.
    Flea I really don’t believe we’ll be returning to normal this year. IMHO, vaccinations will give people a false sense of security so they’ll stop taking precautions seriously, with expectable results. Joe is ready to burn his mask. He finds it hard to breathe and increases his anxiety. He walked out of his follow up appointment after dilation, testing and waiting two hours. Never got to see the Surgeon. :cry: All this a 3 hour drive from home. Don’t know what next step is for him.
    Terri the only time I dreamt of floating above my body was a scary “noticed without caring that I was dead.” Prompted me to seek counseling and end a toxic relationship. Would rather soar with you amongst the stars ;} “I am ever grateful that I have company in my isolation, and that we have few worries about finances in our retirement. I am only too aware that many are not so fortunate.” Amen to this, especially the company of our 50+ women. Could not imagine coping without you all.
    Lisa after your quilting comments, I read “ongoing sewer saga. . .” as a long standing seamstress drama… took me awhile to change mental gears :laugh: Actually I guessed 3 x stimulus, glad to have been wrong.
    Kylia OWW. Lots more broken teeth this pandemic…

Machka when I first read your question I was a little startled. What Terri said about mindful daydreaming really resonated with me. I think the “be present in the current moment” speaks more toward letting go of past grudges, future worries etc.

We get our first vaccinations today. Guessing Moderna since from Rite-Aid not hospital. Trying to shift my expectation from “vaccines make me sick” to: “wake up little defenders, and do your job!” Will apply lidocaine gel an hour before to try to keep arm from tensing in fear, and take an aspirin just because. Time to snooze for a few hours.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    March: leaner/stronger/kinder than January and February.
    daily: sit with Joe: 10, weigh: 10; steps>5627=3120 :grumpy: vits=10, log=10, CI<CO=9, CI<250<CO=5, Tumble=10 Shadow=12 mfp=10 outside=9 up hill=7
    wkly: BB&B, T’ai Chi=4 or SWSY or wii=4 x5= rx=1 dance= clean 60 mins=0.5 packwalk=2, wt=2/28:142.4, 3/7:144.4 waah! :sad: 3/14 3/21 3/28 3/31
    mnthly: board mtg=, grant= , 21 plan= bonus: AF=4 play=5 sew= waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Faetta walked 5 miles yesterday braless due to shoulder impingement. This morning she suffers an ache between her shoulder blades due to poor posture walking without her compression racerback bra. Faetta wishes she hadn't got disappointed in her manuscript called "Bra Wars" and destroyed it. This morning's pains could have been the catalyst for that elusive chapter making Bra Wars a best seller.

Bra Wars -- Chapter 10 -- The Lost Arc of the Covenant

The appeal of small breasts that comes only with age, a bragging point for Faetta, is only an illusion. Her old age victory of semi perk defined by her schoolgirl training style bralette, her triumph over gravity. vanishes as she whimpers and rubs the top of her painful shoulders. Impingement syndrome caused by bra straps is the doctor's diagnosis.

Loosening her bra straps can only go so far as the main focus of her wearing a bra, a compression racerback by Sports doctor prescription is for supporting her sagging shoulder blades, a result of years of hard work that would have been best left to the testosterone-fueled human. Faetta was foolish. The loosening of straps, to a point not embedding little grooves in her shoulder tops, would allow the racerback to not have the tension to push up under her shoulder blades and would render the bra a useless garment.

Girls of age, sporting paltry breast size, can go braless without any medical ramifications and the only concern is a social one unless as in Faetta's situation, back shoulder support and good posture rely on strapping the school girls tight with prejudice so the racerback can do its thing.

The social aspect of old age bra-wearing becomes of lesser importance once women leave the work scene and social events become fewer and further between. Advanced years small-breasted women, such as our Faetta, while gravity has taken a toll, still have a perk that leaves the nipples visible if a tight thin top is worn even with a bralette if no padding is integrated into the bra.

The breast size that once lost the male eye, when a girl boasting more endowment came into view, now holds the old male eye steady and focused. Wearing nothing but a tight tank top, with nothing more than nipples protruding, Faetta can turn old men's once stiff necks like they are on a swivel or Faetta can don a juniors demi pushup bra that has the magic to make her look two sizes larger and while no nipple is showing, the old men salivate like the depraved animals they are simply because of the perk.

Faetta's elementary girls are now feeling the comfortable squeeze of her unpadded bralette, the same one she wore for her cold morning patio Tai Chi known as Fae She. Sitting and typing this literary genius, Faetta's bralette straps are relaxed so she can enjoy the gentle but firm caress of her training bra, a school girl bralette. She hesitates to rise off her old posterior as she fears the impending impingement of the straps creating a valley of the dolls in her already grooved shoulder tops. Faetta loves her bralettes with their gentle breast caress and the thought of de-braing makes her feel unloved. Why does love have to involve pain?

Why do women have to suffer to be fit and sexy? Little did Faetta know that when she donned that first bralette, actually a homemade bikini top, that the war had started. She had become a warrioress, a lifetime commitment to fighting bra injustice. Toplessness was not a solution. Finding the perfect bra would prove as elusive as finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. A war that would never be won.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    :)Faetta, I am so happy to see you posting. I have missed your amazing view of the world.

:)Machka, mindfulness for me is like focusing on the task at hand which might be daydreaming. You sometimes post about the unwise behaviour of multitasking. Daydreaming is dangerous for me only when it makes me sad about the present or creates anxiety in any other way.

:) I walked the the Project Linus headquarters yesterday to drop off my latest knitted blanket. I wore my mask and spoke briefly to the three masked women in the shop and we kept our distance except when someone handed me a homemade fabric bag with two big skeins of excellent donated yarn that will work well with a future blanket.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😎🌞😊
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options