Water Fasting challenge, support and buddies

Options

Replies

• terriblyn
    terriblyn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if I read something that in my opinion was silly I would just ignore the post and move on to a different one that I find interesting, full of sense and relevant to me.
    Why would you stop by and write your thoughts on something you find dangerous, silly, stupid and so on?
    Isn't it a waste of your time? Just wondering...

Because some people do not want others to hurt themselves.......
    Because some people actually care and would hope to see healthy approaches to weight loss and relationships with food.....
    Because some people care.....

ETA: it sounds like your mind is made up, but it never hurts to try and to hope that others will listen.... Good luck op

I see that and it is touching to realise how much support you can get in this community.
    Thank you, I'm not so dumb not to appreciate your comments :)

No one is calling you dumb, but maybe you're not using your best judgement.
    Water fasting is EXTREME, dude.
    Have you ever done a juice cleanse?
    That's calories and that is really hard!
    Please be careful.
    Your potassium levels can become so low, that you can actually die.
    Like, die-die, not: I'm so hungry I could die.
    We don't want you to die.
    If you love your body and want it to work for you, don't punish it into submission.
    Honor it with healthy food and delicious movement.
    Dress it it amazing clothes and praise it for what it allows you to do.

Just some thoughts.
    But seriously about the Potassium...
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You'll lose a lot of muscle in 20 days with no food, which means you'll have a higher body fat percentage when you reach your goal weight than you would have had if you had just stuck to a moderate deficit and added resistance training.

Best point of all. You certainly won't be able to exercise while fasting on water, so the weight you lose will be in muscle (and water), not fat. As you "starve" your body, it will hold onto the fat it has for dear life. Every time you fast to lose weight, your body will hold onto more fat and you'll end up being "skinny fat". Thin, but high fat percentage.

Building muscle burns fat.
  • RoBalance
    RoBalance Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have done water fasting for 7 days a couple of times. The first time was great because I did it for health reasons (stomach ulcer). It gave me a great sense of accomplishment and confidence. It gave me times of great clarity and self-reflection. I suppose all this is partly what you are looking for, too. Unfortunately, it completely messed up my relationship with food because your physiology and psychology will lead to binge eat afterwards and create a very viscous psychological cycle. It would be very, very surprised if this didn't happen to you. So you might end of with the exact opposite of what you wish for in terms of your relationship with food. But then, if you're anything like me, you only learn by doing. So try it out to get the experience if you wish.
    I know you have your heart set on those 20 days but having read a lot about fasting, having done it and being a biochemist, I would urge you to do no more than 7 days. Fasting sucks all the vital nutrients out of your body and calcium out of your bones (think osteoporosis) and, importantly, if you do it for more than 7 or so days without constant medical supervision you could die of a heart attack. I got severe heart palpitations myself during my last fast and went to the doctor. It is really not something to take lightly!
    I have also done juice fasting up to a max of 30 days. I would recommend that if you're absolutely set on fasting. Whilst it may also lead to binge-eating, the physiological damage is likely to be a lot less damaging (mostly muscle loss from my experience).
    If you really want to improve your relationship with food , then mindful eating is the way! I recommend 'savour' by Thich Nath Hanh. It's one of the best books about mindful eating (and living too) that I've read. It would be a great supplement to your current success in loosing weight and eating a balanced diet.
    Good luck, dear!
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I can relate to your situation- when it feels like you're not making progress, like you've sacrificed alot and are not seeing the results right now... but I'm worried that if you do try this and you don't get the results you were hoping for or you can't complete the 20 days you will feel even worse:(
    Maybe you're in a food rut and need to switch things up, like try some new foods or some new recipes? Or maybe try a new activity to make you feel successful! Maybe some new workout gear? Even a new water bottle if that will brighten your day & get more water in without anything drastic. That has helped me before. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    OP, what is the longest that you have fasted before?
  • jessicajones333
    Options
    Check out master cleanse by Stanley Burroughs.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    You'll lose a lot of muscle in 20 days with no food, which means you'll have a higher body fat percentage when you reach your goal weight than you would have had if you had just stuck to a moderate deficit and added resistance training.

Best point of all. You certainly won't be able to exercise while fasting on water, so the weight you lose will be in muscle (and water), not fat. As you "starve" your body, it will hold onto the fat it has for dear life. Every time you fast to lose weight, your body will hold onto more fat and you'll end up being "skinny fat". Thin, but high fat percentage.

Building muscle burns fat.
    This a thousand times. Read some success stories. Trust the process. Be patient.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    So: unless I have got this very wrong, the OP intends to ingest no food whatsoever over nearly three weeks, drinking only water?

If that is the case, then its the most idiotic thing I have heard on MFP and that takes some doing.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Op, this does sound a wee bit extreme. Are there perhaps alternative shorter fasts or 'cleanses' you could try out instead?
  • terriblyn
    Options
    Check out master cleanse by Stanley Burroughs. Bodies need a break and a good cleanse sometimes.

Mr. Boroughs was not a nutritionist, or a doctor and wrote that in the 40's...
    In my roller coaster ride to optimum health I tried this a couple of times--did it lead to lasting weight loss and supreme health?
    No, it lead to me sh*tting my pants (literally).

Yeah, let's do THAT!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering how many reports the original post has racked up by now. OP, it's just flat dangerous. Actively seeking support for your plan and looking for recruits to join you in it is not gonna fly here.

I understand getting frustrated and wanting to do SOMETHING to take back the perceived loss of control when weight loss is painfully slow or absent. This isn't the way to do that.
  • terriblyn
    Options
    OP has stopped publicly responding and has sent private messages instead to stop the backlash of negative feedback.
    This site isn't Pro-ana is it?
  • CarmenSRT
    Options
    OP has stopped publicly responding and has sent private messages instead to stop the backlash of negative feedback.

No, it isn't pro-ana.
  • terriblyn
    Options

No, it isn't pro-ana.

I was kind of joking. But really, not eating for 20 days IS sort of...
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm looking into doing 20 days water fasting.
    Are there people here who have done this before, able to tell me about their experience and what to expect?
    Also, if there is anyone interested, I would like to do this together with someone for moral support and share of experience.

Water cleansing is great! I do it every day, sometimes at night too. Just make sure to have enough soap and shampoo, and a towel to dry off when you're done.

Oh, wait - you're talking about those stupid cleanse things. Pretty sure that the liver is meant to cleanse your body. But hey, enjoy starving, fainting, electrolyte imbalances, and any hospital stays that may accompany ingesting nothing but water.
  • CarmenSRT
    Options

No, it isn't pro-ana.

I was kind of joking. But really, not eating for 20 days IS sort of...

Sorry, my sense of humor detector shuts off when I see someone wonking out to this degree. :embarassed: I agree the original post is pro-ana. Sad.
  • terriblyn
    Options
    Are there people here who have done this before, able to tell me about their experience and what to expect?
    Also, if there is anyone interested, I would like to do this together with someone for moral support and share of experience.

Water cleansing is great! I do it every day, sometimes at night too. Just make sure to have enough soap and shampoo, and a towel to dry off when you're done.

Oh, wait - you're talking about those stupid cleanse things. Pretty sure that the liver is meant to cleanse your body. But hey, enjoy starving, fainting, electrolyte imbalances, and any hospital stays that may accompany ingesting nothing but water.

LOL!!
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options

sorry i laughed a little just then as i did actually just forget a towel for a shower after taking used ones out of the bathroom lol
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Why would you stop by and write your thoughts on something you find dangerous, silly, stupid and so on?
    Isn't it a waste of your time? Just wondering...

Why??!? Because in cases like this, silence implies agreement. We would never want other users to see this post and think "Hey - that's a great idea, Imma try that too!"
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    NO2_zps6c71cac4.gif
This discussion has been closed.