Water Fasting challenge, support and buddies

Options

Replies

• ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    If at first you don't succeed, try again. You don't just throw up your hands, say *kitten* it, and completely give up food for 3 weeks.

As previous posters have mentioned, embarking on a 3-week water fast is incredibly dangerous and the consequences will far outweigh the benefits of doing so. Not eating for 3 weeks will have incredibly adverse effects on your body, your relationship with food, your relationships with people (hangry people are not fun to be around), your ability to work, and other important aspects of your life.

I know you've been at this for a year, and I know you're sick of not making the kind of progress you were hoping for. I know that this process can become incredibly monotonous and overwhelming at times, but you need to keep pushing forward. You have the right idea in that you need to try something different, but taking drastic measures to make change happen is not the answer. I absolutely believe you can do this--the proof is in your ticker--but you need to do so in a healthy manner.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    20 days seems drastic- sounds like a dangerous and bad idea to me. Hope you have people who are informed and can keep an idea on you during this process to get you medical help if needed.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Check out master cleanse by Stanley Burroughs.

No.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Hey, here is a crazy idea! How's about you eat at a moderate calorie deficit and do a sensible exercise program that includes strength training and some cardio! You can lose weight the healthy way and not ya know, do irreparable damage to your body and or/die in the process? :flowerforyou:
  • julyeleven
    Options
    Hi there, I'm looking into doing 20 days water fasting.
    Are there people here who have done this before, able to tell me about their experience and what to expect?
    Also, if there is anyone interested, I would like to do this together with someone for moral support and share of experience.

Water cleansing is great! I do it every day, sometimes at night too. Just make sure to have enough soap and shampoo, and a towel to dry off when you're done.

Oh, wait - you're talking about those stupid cleanse things. Pretty sure that the liver is meant to cleanse your body. But hey, enjoy starving, fainting, electrolyte imbalances, and any hospital stays that may accompany ingesting nothing but water.

This has put a big smile on my face!!! So big that I'm going to give up on the fasting thing!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Weight loss is a no-win-win situation. You get better in your appearance if you are successful but you increase the chances of spoiling your relationship with food.
    Hence, 20 days of drastic action can't cause any more harm than that we cause to ourselves in our EVERY DAY battle.

Wut?

No.

It can be the exact opposite. My relationship with food has never been better, more sensible, more enjoyable, or more sane. And I look better.

Win-win.

(I would suggest that if it's feeling that bad then you're doing something wrong.)
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    Not only will she destroy her muscle stores (your heart is a muscle), if she lives in an urban area and takes public transportation to and from work/entertainment/visiting friends, she will contribute to transit delays from folks passed out on the subway/buses (God forbid if she is driving and passes out) and then having to wait for medical personal, ugh. Over 60% of medical calls that contribute to transit disruptions in NYC is from folks NOT EATING and having sever low blood sugar episodes. If you live in NYC and you want to do this, stay home.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    This forum topic should simply just read. "I'm bored or maybe I truly am desperate so everyone please troll me. Remind me how I somehow spend time on MFP, but still never got the point."
  • l0sing_it
    Options
    I was looking for buddies and advice from people who have done water fasting before...
    I don't think you can compromise your body in 20 days and if something does not work out well, I'll just stop.

Hi, I have done water fasting before and I will tell you, it is not for everyone. The first fast I did was for 3 days. This was very hard as I love to eat, but I made it throug just fine. Then, I did 7 days, again with no problems. The third fast was for 21 days. I made it to day 19 and became very sick from the toxins being released into my body. I was very toxic and it had a negative affect on my body. I stopped and started by eating fruit juices. Within a week, I was back to eating a bunch of crap, even more so than I was eating before the fast. Please look into it and try a 3 day to see if your body can handle it first.
    From a medical standpoint, it is best to let you body tell you when you should stop, not someone else.

Good luck to you!
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Are there people here who have done this before, able to tell me about their experience and what to expect?
    Also, if there is anyone interested, I would like to do this together with someone for moral support and share of experience.

Water cleansing is great! I do it every day, sometimes at night too. Just make sure to have enough soap and shampoo, and a towel to dry off when you're done.

Oh, wait - you're talking about those stupid cleanse things. Pretty sure that the liver is meant to cleanse your body. But hey, enjoy starving, fainting, electrolyte imbalances, and any hospital stays that may accompany ingesting nothing but water.

This has put a big smile on my face!!! So big that I'm going to give up on the fasting thing!

In all seriousness without trying to sound horrid, but you seriously should! We are designed to eat and that's that, just because we can survive, and i say that loosely! With little or no food for periods of time, doesn't mean we should! It does damage to our bodies, everything we do damages us really, so why do something that's going to accelerate that even more?

Most of us are here to try and undo the damage we made getting fat and unfit, why add to the damage?
  • terriblyn
    terriblyn Posts: 107 Member
    Options

The OP said she's giving it up, so let's give her a BIG HAND for coming back down to the planet with us!!

Woooooo Hoooo!

Horray for health!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I don't believe her when she says she isn't going to do it. I believe she has her water fasting posse formed now, and she is "closing" the thread by saying she has seen the light and isn't going to do it now.

Good luck OP.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Check out master cleanse by Stanley Burroughs.

Hell No!

fixed it for you.

tracey-jordan-nope.gif
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    in-before-the-lock.gif

jpicsexiaduvysym3hmm.gif
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who did this and reintroduced high fiber food to quickly into her system and ruptured her colon. Not a good idea! Surgery was required and she ended up with a bag attached to her stomach to potty in.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Weight loss is a no-win-win situation. You get better in your appearance if you are successful but you increase the chances of spoiling your relationship with food.
    Hence, 20 days of drastic action can't cause any more harm than that we cause to ourselves in our EVERY DAY battle.

Wut?

No.

It can be the exact opposite. My relationship with food has never been better, more sensible, more enjoyable, or more sane. And I look better.

Win-win.

(I would suggest that if it's feeling that bad then you're doing something wrong.)

QFT
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Please don't waste your time and put your health at risk.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I was looking for buddies and advice from people who have done water fasting before...
    I don't think you can compromise your body in 20 days and if something does not work out well, I'll just stop.

You don't? And if it turns out you're wrong and you can, you think 1) you'll know and 2) just stopping the fast will remedy it?

This should be interesting.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Hi, I have done water fasting before and I will tell you, it is not for everyone. The first fast I did was for 3 days. This was very hard as I love to eat, but I made it throug just fine. Then, I did 7 days, again with no problems. The third fast was for 21 days. I made it to day 19 and became very sick from the toxins being released into my body. I was very toxic and it had a negative affect on my body. I stopped and started by eating fruit juices. Within a week, I was back to eating a bunch of crap, even more so than I was eating before the fast. Please look into it and try a 3 day to see if your body can handle it first.
    From a medical standpoint, it is best to let you body tell you when you should stop, not someone else.

Good luck to you!

Err no, you weren't sick from the toxins but from LACK OF FOOD :noway:
This discussion has been closed.