COVID vaccine water weight gain?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    MsCzar wrote: »
    I know this is all a bit off-track - but as I've watched endless news footage of needles going in arms, it seems the needle looks larger than the one used in my annual flu shot. I'm wondering if larger means more cost-effective given the number needed and if this is the reason for so many sore arms.

Also wondering if anyone doubled down of their social distancing after the first injection since your immune system was being challenged by the vaccine.

Can you guys tell I'm getting nervous as vax day approaches? :D

I don't look at ANYBODY getting a needle, myself included!

With my first Pfizer shot, my arm hurt much less than my flu shot.

With my second Pfizer shot, my arm hurt either the same or a tiny bit less than my flu shot.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    edited April 2021
    This is purely a curiosity question....but did anyone else experience a water weight gain when receiving the vaccine? I got my first dose Wednesday, and the next day I had a 3 lb jump on the scale! Since then I've been up about 2 lbs. I'm not fretting about it..I just thought it was interesting and wondered if anyone else noticed something similar! :)

According to Happy Scale, I had no water weight gain from either Pfizer shot.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    MsCzar wrote: »
    I know this is all a bit off-track - but as I've watched endless news footage of needles going in arms, it seems the needle looks larger than the one used in my annual flu shot. I'm wondering if larger means more cost-effective given the number needed and if this is the reason for so many sore arms.

Also wondering if anyone doubled down of their social distancing after the first injection since your immune system was being challenged by the vaccine.

Can you guys tell I'm getting nervous as vax day approaches? :D

The needle is tiny...I didn't even feel the shot for either dose (Pfizer). I was at a mass vaccination site and the nurse had to tell me to move along because I hadn't realized she had given the shot to me. I always feel the flu shot...I didn't feel a damn thing with my pfizer doses.

I didn't do anything differently than I would otherwise do in regards to social distancing and whatnot. I get the flu vaccine every year and have been vaccinated at one time or another for just about everything you can get a vaccine for and I've never had any issues so didn't anticipate any with this vaccine. My second dose was on Good Friday...watched a movie with my kids that evening...was up and at the gym Saturday morning by 8 AM and then spent most of the day doing yard work and cleaning up the patio area and the pool for Easter visitors on Sunday.

Zero issues...not even a sore arm really...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I didn't notice any weight gain after my shot (got the first Pfizer shot last Thursday).
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    I'm getting my first shot tomorrow. Anything I should do to prepare? (Other than not worry about water weight gain and move my arm a lot afterwards and maybe or maybe not work out that night. :))
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    I'm getting my first shot tomorrow. Anything I should do to prepare? (Other than not worry about water weight gain and move my arm a lot afterwards and maybe or maybe not work out that night. :))

After reading some other people's posts on the "What was your workout today" thread, I was glad to have planned for lower-intensity workout days post vax, especially vax 2. I wasn't super fatigued or anything, I did normal moderate steady-state stuff and that went just fine, but a couple of people had hard-effort days scheduled, went on with them, and hit a wall a bit. Nothing life threatening in there, just energy level sufficiency mostly, but I'm all about keeping life kind of pleasant and even keel.

The only other thing was that I didn't remember that I could've stopped for Ethiopian food takeout on the way home to celebrate - it was even lunchtime, and the good Ethiopian place en route - but it didn't occur to me at the time.

From what I've read, it's OK to take OTC pain relievers if needed after the shot, but not a good idea to take them beforehand. (I didn't need them at all. A little arm soreness after #1 but not #1, less sore than the flu vax a few months back. I'm not even sure the fatigue after #2 was from the vaccine. However, I'm old, so more likely to have lower side effects, I guess.)
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    I didn't feel either shot. I'm not too bad with needles. Give blood on a regular basis, flu shot annually, been knocked out with an IV for 8 orthopedic surgeries pus several coloscopies. Plus had sepsis and had 4 IVs in me at the same time.

The rona shot was pretty easy to me.
  • glassyo
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

After reading some other people's posts on the "What was your workout today" thread, I was glad to have planned for lower-intensity workout days post vax, especially vax 2. I wasn't super fatigued or anything, I did normal moderate steady-state stuff and that went just fine, but a couple of people had hard-effort days scheduled, went on with them, and hit a wall a bit. Nothing life threatening in there, just energy level sufficiency mostly, but I'm all about keeping life kind of pleasant and even keel.

The only other thing was that I didn't remember that I could've stopped for Ethiopian food takeout on the way home to celebrate - it was even lunchtime, and the good Ethiopian place en route - but it didn't occur to me at the time.

From what I've read, it's OK to take OTC pain relievers if needed after the shot, but not a good idea to take them beforehand. (I didn't need them at all. A little arm soreness after #1 but not #1, less sore than the flu vax a few months back. I'm not even sure the fatigue after #2 was from the vaccine. However, I'm old, so more likely to have lower side effects, I guess.)

Helpful! :) As much as I exercise I don't do hardcore...basically just a lot of walking so hopefully I'll be good there because...food. :)

I don't think I've ever gotten a flu vaccine!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member

Nobody i know, including myself has done anything different in preparation.

Our only advice to patients here is bring a good book ( or yor ipad, knitting, crosswords etc) as there is a strict 15 minutes supervised wait afterwards, 30 minutes if you have any previous severe allergies to anything
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member

Yeah, I didn't do anything differently before I went in for mine. I guess maybe making sure you're hydrated, and getting a good night's sleep never hurts anything.

I think all vaccine sites are different too. I live in a medium sized city with a stellar hospital system, so I was in and out in less than 15 minutes for my first, and 25 minutes or so for my second (the vaccine had opened up to the general public in my state by then). I've heard of people having to wait a LOT longer though, so as paperpudding said, might also want to bring something to keep you occupied!
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member

I didn't modify my routine. I got the AstraZeneca. No change in weight or reaction of any kind.
  • glassyo
    Thank all. :)

1st dose went well (so far). I was in and out within about 40 mins and that included looking for the vaccine site and the 15 mins being held hostage after the jab. I barely felt it and hopefully the second one will be the same.

My only problem right now is I have to have the second one a week before our big deadline.
  • sue911186
    sue911186 Posts: 1 Member
    YES!

I’m so glad I saw this post as everyone I’ve spoken to has looked at me as though I’m strange!

I’ve logged for over 1,000 days so I know exactly why/when and how much my weight will go up or down each day but the day after my AZ first jab I had a weight spike of 2.5 pounds and I’ve never had such a massive gain e.g. even after Christmas Day I only go up by one pound.

I just ate normally and my weight returned to normal within 3 days.

It will be interesting to see what happens after my second jab.

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Got shot #2. So far, so good. Drinking a ton of water and added a lot of arm motion to my rebounder workout today.
  • Shy_Yogi
    Shy_Yogi Posts: 101 Member
    I got the second shot on Friday morning (today is Wednesday) and went for a run that evening. I asked the nurse if I could and she said that we can do anything that we normally do (though she did warn me about not taking pain meds). I didnt get any symptoms for either shot. I did see a 2lb rise the next day but I counted it as water weight since I know my diet and exercise were good this week. I haven't weighed myself since then though.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    Shy_Yogi wrote: »
    I got the second shot on Friday morning (today is Wednesday) and went for a run that evening. I asked the nurse if I could and she said that we can do anything that we normally do (though she did warn me about not taking pain meds). I didnt get any symptoms for either shot. I did see a 2lb rise the next day but I counted it as water weight since I know my diet and exercise were good this week. I haven't weighed myself since then though.

what did the warning entail?

I have heard some posters say they have been advised not to take pain meds before the injection (that is not our advice here though ,it is neither recomended nor not recomended) - but havent heard anything about not taking it afterward.

and my standard advice for all vaccines (except Men B for children where taking Panadol before and after is a must) is See how you go, if you get a sore arm or feel muscle achy or feverish take some panadol if you want to.

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2021
    sue911186 wrote: »
    YES!

I’m so glad I saw this post as everyone I’ve spoken to has looked at me as though I’m strange!

I’ve logged for over 1,000 days so I know exactly why/when and how much my weight will go up or down each day but the day after my AZ first jab I had a weight spike of 2.5 pounds and I’ve never had such a massive gain e.g. even after Christmas Day I only go up by one pound.

I just ate normally and my weight returned to normal within 3 days.

It will be interesting to see what happens after my second jab.

Yeah, I track my weight trends on Libra so I usually know what my ups.and downs look like and why (cycle, medication, etc...) I didn't have any of those normal water weight factors right before shot 1. Can I say with absolute certainty it was the shot? No, of course not, but it definitely seems likely. Immune response seems like a valid explanation, as someone else mentioned. Please report back when you get shot 2 and let us know! :)
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member

I have heard some posters say they have been advised not to take pain meds before the injection (that is not our advice here though ,it is neither recomended nor not recomended) - but havent heard anything about not taking it afterward.

and my standard advice for all vaccines (except Men B for children where taking Panadol before and after is a must) is See how you go, if you get a sore arm or feel muscle achy or feverish take some panadol if you want to.

I was wondering the same. I'm in the UK and got the AstraZeneca. In both, the leaflet I was given, as well as in the official National Health Service website, it says "You can take painkillers, such as paracetamol, if you need to." https://nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-vaccine/
  • spr931
    spr931 Posts: 61 Member
    Interesting. I didn't even think about water weight gain after the vaccine. I have been up a couple pounds this week. I got the pfizer part1 last week and only had a sore arm and a wave of tiredness come over me at work the next day. While the coworker who sits next to me got sick enough to where he was too miserable to come to work. The nurse said the 2nd one is the doozy and that having taken fish oil wouldn't cause any troubles.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    mmnv79 wrote: »

I was wondering the same. I'm in the UK and got the AstraZeneca. In both, the leaflet I was given, as well as in the official National Health Service website, it says "You can take painkillers, such as paracetamol, if you need to." https://nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-vaccine/

I too was specifically told that it was okay to take painkillers afterward if I was in pain.