COVID vaccine water weight gain?

Replies

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Did anybody here who got the two shots adjust their exercise or diet before and/or after? I am getting shot #1 this week.

I know that grapefruit and grapefruit juice are literally off the table when taking certain meds. Also fish oil supplements are sometimes an issue. Not sure if there are any dietary do's and don'ts for the vaccine.

I felt tired and had a mild headache for a couple of days my shot (Pfizer #1) so I didn't work out (spin bike) because I just didn't feel like it. My arm didn't really hurt at all, but I skipped the weights as well for a couple of days just in case. I took advil for the headache.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    I know this is all a bit off-track - but as I've watched endless news footage of needles going in arms, it seems the needle looks larger than the one used in my annual flu shot. I'm wondering if larger means more cost-effective given the number needed and if this is the reason for so many sore arms.

Also wondering if anyone doubled down of their social distancing after the first injection since your immune system was being challenged by the vaccine.

Can you guys tell I'm getting nervous as vax day approaches? :D
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    I know this is all a bit off-track - but as I've watched endless news footage of needles going in arms, it seems the needle looks larger than the one used in my annual flu shot. I'm wondering if larger means more cost-effective given the number needed and if this is the reason for so many sore arms.

Also wondering if anyone doubled down of their social distancing after the first injection since your immune system was being challenged by the vaccine.

Honesty, I am EXTREMELY needle phobic, so I was VERY nervous almost to the point of panic about this. So for me to say it was really was nothing feels significant. I didn't even feel it going in and I didn't watch her do it, so when my nurse said "all done!", I was like..."what? Are you serious?" 😂 The soreness really isn't terrible either. It's one of those things I felt, but it was more of a minor nuisance than a throbbing pain.

I'll admit I've never taken a flu shot, but people I know who get them regularly said this shot was even easier than the flu shot. The needle is small and thin..at least, mine was. Someone compared it to a diabetic/insulin needle, which I guess is pretty small too (I only know about the ones I used to give my cat)

I pretty much hibernate in my cave now, so I didn't really have any extra special precautions to take. I never even thought about it until you mentioned it..lol. I may with the second dose, though, since that's the one people seem to have imore ssues with.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member

I doubt that's an issue, personally.

N=1, my arm was sore after my flu shot in the Fall, sore enough that it was uncomfortable to lie in bed on it but not really IMO a huge problem. Soreness after Pfizer #1 was not a problem at all. After #2, it stung for a few moments (nothing major) right away, later (next day) I could feel some light soreness if I pressed on the injection spot, but could sleep on it without noticing anything in particular.

With n=1 data for Pfizer only, I don't think there's some needle size issue vs. flu vax.

Keep in mind that skill of the person doing the injection, and (probably more important) random factors about a particular injection, may lead to different superficial effects at the vaccination site. For example: I routinely bruise after blood draws, and quite frequently after injections into muscle (like these). I had no bruise after Pfizer #1, a small one after Pfizer #2. I suspect that accounted for the difference in how it felt, because pressure on a bruise is something one can feel. That's about technique or random luck, not about what went into my arm, which was the same both times. (I can't remember whether I saw a bruise after the flu vax.)

No, I didn't double down on social distancing after vax 1. I was already taking what I consider to be about the maximum but still practical precautions, so nothing feasible to increase, personally.

I'm not a medical professional, but if your immune system is weakened by revving to create antibodies, I would think that most of that period, you wouldn't be at substantially higher Covid risk, in the sense that there *are* antibodies, and even vax #1 and things less than the full 2 week wait have seemed to confer some contagion/severity reduction benefits, so you have a speculatively negative effect (immune system depressed in the abstract because busy), with a positive effect (getting some antibodies on patrol). 🤷‍♀️

You're probably going to have a non-event, or close. Many people do. People more often speak up when they experience problems, and news sources like to report drama, not boring stuff like "I felt fine". It distorts expectations.

Hoping it's very non-distressing for you!
  • MsCzar
    Thanks!
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    I was also randomly up 3 lbs in the days after my first dose of pfizer. Then a week later, I stepped on a dirty nail in my garden wearing flip flops. 11 years since my last tetanus shot, so I had to go in and get that, despite recommendations to not get any other vaccinations within 2 weeks of the COVID vaccine. The doctors had no idea what to do, and ended up calling several state health departments to see if it was ok for me to have the tetanus shot.

Eventually they decided that a slightly less robust immune response to the COVID vaccine was preferable to dying of lockjaw. Then I was up another pound after that one! Now I am 2 weeks out from COVID dose 1 and 1 week out from tetanus and 2 antibiotics, and finally down a pound again.

On the needle/pain, the tetanus was WAY worse than the COVID. Much of it also depends on the person giving the vaccine. My COVID was a trainee being supervised, and she was super careful and I barely felt it. The tetanus shot, the surly nurse said "don't pass out on me" then jammed it in. My arm hurt way worse after the tetanus shot (which I guess is normal).
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member

I actually told my husband immediately afterward that I thought it was so much skinnier than the flu shot :) You can do it!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Interesting! Both my husband and I noticed a weight gain in the week following the first Pfizer shot. We wondered if our scale had something wrong with it! I’m down to normal now after two weeks but it lasted a while for me.

As far as side effects, I felt tired and my arm was sore, but that’s it.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited March 2021

The needle is tiny - like the tiniest needle I have ever had I think - I didn't even feel it. And contrary to what others experienced my arm didn't hurt at all after (I did have a headache and fatigue for a couple of days).
  • dragon_girl26
    Interesting! Both my husband and I noticed a weight gain in the week following the first Pfizer shot. We wondered if our scale had something wrong with it! I’m down to normal now after two weeks but it lasted a while for me.

As far as side effects, I felt tired and my arm was sore, but that’s it.

Yeah, mine has stuck around. Got it last Monday and I'm still up 2 lbs. Guess maybe thats a sign it's working..lol
  • dragon_girl26
    So came back to update since I had dose 2 last week of the Pfizer vaccine. It took about a week and a half for the extra water weight to flush out with the first shot. Interestingly, I didn't have the scale increase with shot 2, nor any other side effects.
  • MsCzar
    Thanks for the update. Good to know. I get shot two this week and plan to drink lots of water and cut back on sodium and any overly-processed foods. I also plan to take it easy that day and will most likely skip my workout - getting lots of sleep. I don't anticipate any issues - but will err on the safe side.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member

Cant speak for everywhere - but where I work in a Dr's surgery in Australia, we are using same standard length and bore needle as we do for other intramuscular vaccines ( flu vaccine, tetanus etc) and the compulsory covid training modules just recommend standard needles.

Re OP - no, didn't notice any weight gain.
    Sore arm, very tired following day, that's all ( astra zeneca)

• dragon_girl26
    edited April 2021
    Thanks for the update. Good to know. I get shot two this week and plan to drink lots of water and cut back on sodium and any overly-processed foods. I also plan to take it easy that day and will most likely skip my workout - getting lots of sleep. I don't anticipate any issues - but will err on the safe side.

I read somewhere (can't recall where) that someone's nurse told them after the first shot, that they should be very well hydrated before they get their second shot. The nurse said people tended to have fewer side effects if they drank more water. I don't know if that's true or not, but either way it couldn't hurt, I suppose. Good luck with yours!
  • sweetdaisy13
    sweetdaisy13 Posts: 357 Member
    Had my 1st Covid vaccine on Saturday (Astra Zeneca), still have a sore arm, feeling tired, headache has now gone, but no change in weight. I'm always hydrated and drink on average 2,200 ml of fluid a day. Maybe that helped, but I'll make sure I'm well hydrated before the 2nd vaccine.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    No weight gain; no side effects from first round AZ for me. I walked to the vaccination clinic and back, which is around 6 miles total; and went for a climb after that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    This is purely a curiosity question....but did anyone else experience a water weight gain when receiving the vaccine? I got my first dose Wednesday, and the next day I had a 3 lb jump on the scale! Since then I've been up about 2 lbs. I'm not fretting about it..I just thought it was interesting and wondered if anyone else noticed something similar! :)

I'm not sure how I could possibly isolate changes in water weight to a particular event like getting a vaccine...I can be up or down anywhere from 0-3 Lbs day to day for no reason at all other than the fact that its completely normal.

I didn't have anything of note going on after either my first or second vaccine. Both were on a Friday after work and everything was normal...went home and ordered pizza and watched a movie with the fam as per our usual Friday. Up and at the gym on Saturday morning by 8.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited April 2021
    solieco1 wrote: »

I actually told my husband immediately afterward that I thought it was so much skinnier than the flu shot :) You can do it!

I was thinking just the opposite, @MsCzar, i.e. that it's a skinnier needle than normal so as not to waste one tiny microliter. I didn't feel one shot, did feel the other but not bad at all. The nurses both times encouraged moving my arm a lot to increase circulation to enhance vaccine dispersion to disperse swelling/soreness. This suggests it is the immune response, not the needle, that is responsible for soreness. I kept with my regular routine, cardio & strength, pushups, weights and all.

I didn't change my social distancing either, but I was pretty darn distant before. It's such a relief now to be able to be with vaccinated folk. Had a really fun outdoor visit in a gorgeous backyard setting in glorious weather with vaccinated friends yesterday. We haven't been together in person since October, and that was outside in a light rain. Honestly cannot remember the last time we were indoors together. I tell you one thing about this pandemic that will stay with me: I really appreciate being with my friends and family with all their faults and idiosyncrasies and all.
  • JustaNoob
    JustaNoob Posts: 147 Member
    I was definitely up after shot 2 but, like others, I drank so much water. I felt like I was battling a dehydration headache with water-- when I felt it coming on, I chugged water and then within 10-15 minutes, I'd be fine.