Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

vaccinations/health care and product promotions.

12345679»

Replies

• lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,096 Member Member Posts: 7,096 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I know, NorthCascades.

Paperpudding, you need to move to the U.S. It's all about the free stuff.

I call it the Free Stuff mentality, and I don't like it because it can be very wasteful. Part of my work is public education, and I do give away stuff promoting the message I'm trying to get across. Some are "prizes" for participating in an activity, but it's interesting to watch people like to just grab and grab and grab, and then frustrating to see those things in the garbage later in the day.

If it's any consolation, I will probably never need to buy any scratch pads or sticky notes for home use ever again in my lifetime, I've accumulated such a collection. And I DO use them. None were grabbed by me, all given. Some were conference swag, others had messages (like a really nice sized note pad promoting home CO detectors). And, yes, I have a CO detector, so perhaps it worked :D

Unrelated, but our city code requires CO detectors, didn't realize that wasn't generally the case these days.
  • Theoldguy1Theoldguy1 Member Posts: 1,722 Member Member Posts: 1,722 Member
    I know, NorthCascades.

I call it the Free Stuff mentality, and I don't like it because it can be very wasteful. Part of my work is public education, and I do give away stuff promoting the message I'm trying to get across. Some are "prizes" for participating in an activity, but it's interesting to watch people like to just grab and grab and grab, and then frustrating to see those things in the garbage later in the day.

Years ago I was volunteering for another organization. They had some very nice informative literature; people liked it. The organization was asking for a very small donation to help offset printing costs - like ten cents maybe or at most a quarter. It was really interesting to watch when people would want to take one, and then one of the staff would mention the very small donation, and then watch the hands dart back as if the literature was on fire. Seriously. If it's not worth ten cents to you, you didn't really want it.

Agree. 95+% of the "free stuff" I get for whatever reason is cheap crap and ends up in the trash can or recycling before it gets in our house.
  • paperpuddingpaperpudding Member Posts: 6,517 Member Member Posts: 6,517 Member
    I guess the answer is see don't really consider health messaging sacrosanct here. And we love free stuff. .

yes clearly so - cultural difference I guess.
    Which was discussion point of thread.

No quite happy in Australia, thanks.
    It was intended as discussion of cultural differences and personal opinions re such promotions, not a who is better competition.

• ythannahythannah Member Posts: 3,661 Member Member Posts: 3,661 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    I know, NorthCascades.

If it's any consolation, I will probably never need to buy any scratch pads or sticky notes for home use ever again in my lifetime, I've accumulated such a collection. And I DO use them. None were grabbed by me, all given. Some were conference swag, others had messages (like a really nice sized note pad promoting home CO detectors). And, yes, I have a CO detector, so perhaps it worked :D

Unrelated, but our city code requires CO detectors, didn't realize that wasn't generally the case these days.

Ours does also but only within the last few years. I had my CO detector before it was mandatory. (I've had it so long it just expired and I replaced it this weekend) Although I don't think they do anything in the way of actual enforcement, like inspecting homes.