Sugar withdrawal headache

Options
13»

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I've been there! I felt like crap for the first week off sugar. I agree with the suggestion to drink plenty of water. Personally I'd stay away from all sugars (including fruit) and "simple carbs" - white bread, white rice, pasta, etc. during this first week or so. Complex carbs (whole wheat) are ok in moderation. I drank tea in the evening instead of eating ice cream or drinking hot chocolate and that seemed to help somehow. I did decaf peppermint tea with a little "Splenda". I know the artificial crap isn't the best but I haven't seen any adverse effects from it.

Here's the good news... after a week you'll be free of the sugar addiction (and I think it really is a kind of addiction) and you will feel so much better. Remember how crappy you feel now so you never get into this position again!

Good luck!

I am avoiding the simple carbs too, I'm trying to eat 'clean'. No I'm determined not to go though this again!

Don't want to alarm you, but there's simple carbs in the fruit you're eating...

I know, I mean bread and pasta etc that the poster referred to.

Those are polysaccharides, so they aren't simple carbs. So eat up

I don't want to be told that my food choices are crap thanks, I don't want to eat processed sugar or carbs no matter what science terms you use.

I am so confused, I'm not sure how to be helpful. OP, are you avoiding processed foods (i.e. Splenda), simple sugars (i.e. fruit), complex carbs (i.e. pasta), or picking and choosing items willy-nilly by how much fun they are to eat?

It's called cognitive dissonance
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I've been there! I felt like crap for the first week off sugar. I agree with the suggestion to drink plenty of water. Personally I'd stay away from all sugars (including fruit) and "simple carbs" - white bread, white rice, pasta, etc. during this first week or so. Complex carbs (whole wheat) are ok in moderation. I drank tea in the evening instead of eating ice cream or drinking hot chocolate and that seemed to help somehow. I did decaf peppermint tea with a little "Splenda". I know the artificial crap isn't the best but I haven't seen any adverse effects from it.

Here's the good news... after a week you'll be free of the sugar addiction (and I think it really is a kind of addiction) and you will feel so much better. Remember how crappy you feel now so you never get into this position again!

Good luck!

I am avoiding the simple carbs too, I'm trying to eat 'clean'. No I'm determined not to go though this again!

Don't want to alarm you, but there's simple carbs in the fruit you're eating...

I know, I mean bread and pasta etc that the poster referred to.

Those are polysaccharides, so they aren't simple carbs. So eat up

I don't want to be told that my food choices are crap thanks, I don't want to eat processed sugar or carbs no matter what science terms you use.

I am so confused, I'm not sure how to be helpful. OP, are you avoiding processed foods (i.e. Splenda), simple sugars (i.e. fruit), complex carbs (i.e. pasta), or picking and choosing items willy-nilly by how much fun they are to eat?

It's called cognitive dissonance

That sounds pretty sciencey. Watch that, okay?
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You should stick with the no sugar ect... It's working wonders for your mood and social interaction

I can't tell if you're being facetious or not. Works wonders on your social interaction?

I am serious all day everyday

How does not eating sugar help with social interaction?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    You should stick with the no sugar ect... It's working wonders for your mood and social interaction

I can't tell if you're being facetious or not. Works wonders on your social interaction?

I am serious all day everyday

How does not eating sugar help with social interaction?

Psst......if it has to be explained.....
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Hey op. People were nice to you and answered your questions. You have been nonspecific in your "rules" and rude to people who have helped you.

Carbs are in fruit etc. Eat whatever follows your definitions and rules. People often find water and pain killers relieve a headache. So does refraining from an unnecessarily strict diet in the absence of a medical reason for the restriction.also, some people find making changes gradually helps prevent difficult reactions and makes those changes last rather than burn out.

I don't know why you're being so rejecting of the people as well as the messages. I wonder if your diet is having a negative effect on your mood?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    OP, have a Snickers...
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Did you try ibuprofen and water? Water is awesome.
  • smsgreaves
    smsgreaves Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Fresh dates, and raw honey. No idea if there's "bad" stuff in them, but they helped me kick the urge to eat lollies. As for the headaches, paracetemol and plenty of water, and if you feel as crap as I did 5 weeks ago try not to stab anyone! Day 4 was the worst, could quite easily have gone on a homicidal rampage....
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Right. Ok. I was in a bad mood, I was a ***** with everyone, I apologise.

I know all the science about the sugar being the same but I seem to get bad results eating refined sugar as opposed to natural sugars, maybe it's all in my head, maybe it's something else in the products. IDK but I'd like to avoid it all the same as it makes me feel better :)

Thanks for everyone who took the time to reply.
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am starting week 3 of dieting and cutting out the "bad" sugar too. The first week for 2 days I got this nasty icepick headache. Also all week my back hurt between my shoulders so bad I was miserable. I know it sounds weird but I think my body was having withdrawals because no pain releivers helped at all. Finally it stopped. it sucked but just try to push though it. it does go away even tho it took mine about a week.