Keto without the Dairy

Options
I'm doing the FitMum Nourish plan if any of you are familiar with that. I'm a little more flexible with my fats than the plan would recommend but other than that, I'm sticking with the recommended veggies and protein portions. Part of this plan which is essentially low fat keto is NO dairy. Eggs are okay but no cow milk or cheese. No soy either.

Stirfrys and veggie dishes are easy. So is simple grilled meat. I need more variety though! And great recipes you can share?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Low fat keto? Does not compute.

It seems like you've chosen a plan that is specifically designed to eliminate variety. You're basically eating vegetables, low fat meats, and eggs, right?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options

It seems like you've chosen a plan that is specifically designed to eliminate variety. You're basically eating vegetables, low fat meats, and eggs, right?

Sure it does - purists might call it Adkins, but who cares about the label.

I don't have any great recipes to share, although I eat pretty much the same way (but I do eat cheese). I usually make a protein like chicken or lower fat beef/pork plus veggies. To change things up I will make frittatas or egg scrambles (eggs, veggies, other proteins, etc). Nothing fancy as I like quick meals. I am also very boring when it comes to food and have no issues with eating the same or similar things every day.

One suggestion that I would have is to join the low-carb/keto groups listed below - they always have food ideas and pictures posted as to what they are eating:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Sure it does - purists might call it Adkins, but who cares about the label.

I don't have any great recipes to share, although I eat pretty much the same way (but I do eat cheese). I usually make a protein like chicken or lower fat beef/pork plus veggies. To change things up I will make frittatas or egg scrambles (eggs, veggies, other proteins, etc). Nothing fancy as I like quick meals. I am also very boring when it comes to food and have no issues with eating the same or similar things every day.

One suggestion that I would have is to join the low-carb/keto groups listed below - they always have food ideas and pictures posted as to what they are eating:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum

Atkins isn't low fat though (unless the program has been significantly revised since I last read about it).
  • AngelaAlario
    AngelaAlario Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    @ccrdragon thanks! Finding keto recipes without the dairy has not been easy!

@janejellyroll the "plan" is low fat but I still eat healthy fats like avocado and olive or avocado oil. I'm just not going out of my way to load up on fat. Plus with keto they always say, "fat is a lever". After doing keto for quite some time I know I don't HAVE to eat my fat every day but I do need to make an effort not to eat too much protein.
  • AngelaAlario
    AngelaAlario Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I need to get creative with my meat & veggies!
  • janejellyroll
    Options

@janejellyroll the "plan" is low fat but I still eat healthy fats like avocado and olive or avocado oil. I'm just not going out of my way to load up on fat. Plus with keto they always say, "fat is a lever". After doing keto for quite some time I know I don't HAVE to eat my fat every day but I do need to make an effort not to eat too much protein.

Got it -- I thought you were saying the plan itself was low fat keto, I didn't understand that you were taking an existing low fat plan and adjusting it so that it was keto instead.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options

I wouldn't worry about the protein too much. I have eaten as much as 200 grams of protein in a day and still maintained ketosis. I know all of the gurus will tell you that excess protein is automatically converted to glucose, but that is not a generally true statement. It is very 'expensive' physiologically speaking to convert protein to glucose and the body will only do it when it absolutely has too.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

The thing is that cals need to come from somewhere, so unless your definition of low fat is unusual, I don't see how keto can be lowfat.

Usual keto is something like 25 g net carbs (let's say 50 g total carbs), protein based on weight (let's say 120 g, although for me the minimum amount would be more like 90 g), and then fat to calorie level/satiety.

Even with the 120 g, that ends up with only 680 cals from fat and protein, so even at very low cals that would be around 50% fat.

Anyway, setting aside what you call your diet, I don't avoid dairy but eat low carb without dairy all the time -- typically unless I add cheese for flavor, my low carb meal will be essentially meat and veg or egg and veg based. It would be pretty much like any other dish I'd have but without using fruit or starchy carbs. I like that low carb leaves more calories for things like nuts and seeds and avocado and olives, as well as some cheese and of course oils I cook with (although I still don't use more than necessary of those, so that doesn't really change). I also don't worry about only low fat meat (for example, I eat a lot of salmon, as well as lower fat seafood, and I usually cook whole chicken or chicken breast vs boneless/skinless). My concern about focusing only on veg and low fat meat and not including the higher fat foods I listed that low carb makes easy to fit in is that the cals have to come from somewhere.

If what you are talking about is simply not making an effort to load up on fat, that's actually same with me (although I don't eat low fat in any normal use of the term). I also tend to prefer to get most of my fat from vegetable sources like those listed. (I'm not keto, just lower carb when cutting cals.)