WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2021

Options

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,398 Member
    Options
    Kim - got to love small town Arkansas... you got it right, I paid $10 for the entire year - the larger town near us, you had to apply, they had to approve your product, and it is, I think, $20 per weekend or $150 a year, or something to that effect. Still lower than yours, but didn't want to play the game of whether or not what I took up there was good enough. Just got back from this morning's market, and made $70--not quite our groceries for the week, but sold all my gladiolus and a standing desk setup that Corey gave me that I never did use, though I thought I would. Will take more glads next week.

:smile:

My allergies have kicked in, my eyes are itching like mad, my nose is dripping like a faucet, and I'm done for today... just took an antihistamine.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Welcome, @SteppinD - join right in!

<3

Karen in Virginia
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Lisa - I would have bought all of your glads. I love them.

Karen
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,233 Member
    Options
    My lovely younger brother is 69 today. :p He is in Wales with his wife for two weeks holiday, so, just to wind him up, I have been looking up Welsh phrases on Google Translate and sending them to him. Today I found a video of a man singing Happy Birthday in Welsh and sent that to him! :p Penblwydd hapus! (No, I don't speak Welsh)
    I've recently discovered Alex Rawlings, who speaks 11 languages. :o:o I've just downloaded his book to read. I speak one perfectly, English, one adequately, French, one ok, Spanish, and one haltingly and badly, German. I have a smattering of Norwegian and Italian.
    I don't know why I love languages so much. They transport me into a different life. In French I am a different person. Much more chic! Each time I learn a language I enter a different world. It's so easy these days with YouTube and apps. I would like a real person to practise German with though. ;)

Kim - I don't know if any languages interest you, but your car journeys would be the perfect time to listen to tapes. I learnt quite a bit of Portuguese that way in the 90s before a holiday. I did it with a boyfriend and we laughed such a lot at the pronunciation!

Simple joys, but I love it.

I got fed up with my meatballs in tomato sauce, so I'm cooking them tonight in a curry sauce,with cauliflower rice and a yoghurty coleslaw. They smell DIVINE. :p DH is in his study watching the FA Cup Final. His dinner will be served in 15 mins on tray.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,465 Member
    Options
    Ah no Lisa! Sorry your allergies have kicked in. I wish for a windy day to clean up the air for you!🙏👍💖

Started writing letters again. Three yesterday, and have two today.

Making kielbasa sausage, red onion, roasted potatoes, and zucchini mixture for son, he always loves that. Of course because his metabolism is so used to fast food, he normally just gets rid of it, in an hour ( Oopsy is that TMI?).

Never did get to making my mini loaves of banana bread, gotta do that today. I will wait until son finally wakes up, because I have to use the beater.

Poor kid he works so hard maintaining helicopters, its hard on his body. He comes home and crashes until dinnertime. Then we watch the latest sumo wrestling day and he goes to play on his laptop until about 11 or 12 midnight. Oh to be young and reckless. Actually all his fast food eating and not exercising is going to bite him in the butt, when he gets to his next command and they have weekly PT.

Cheers you all the weekend!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
    x7vnlwxthg4e.jpg

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,633 Member
    Options
    Heather - languages including sometimes english(LOL) are a complete fail for me.... I just can not tell if I am saying something right, and can listen to a word over and over and over again and can still not figure out how to say it or remember it.... I am in awe of you and others who can make words out of sounds. Honestly I can not even make the sound for each individual letter of the alphabet for english. And have no concept of short and long vowels. For me everything is complete route memory. Someday if I get rich I would love to hire a tutor to teach me the sounds of letters.

Kim in N. California
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Debbie – I'm sorry you've got so much drama to deal with. :heart: You really don't need that in your life. But you seem to be handling it with grace and a level head. :flowerforyou:
    x7vnlwxthg4e.jpg

Is that you, Rebecca, all dressed up for the sake of us non-nudists ? And are you going to kiss that frog in a moment? :kissing_heart: If so, I hope your kiss turns him into a slightly naughty prince – the very best kind. :wink:

/Penny, enjoying the last minutes before the midnight sun starts beating in through my north-facing windows at the
    t07190.gif
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Kim ~ I had a difficult time learning to read in 1st grade (no kindergarten or pre-school back then for me) and they taught sight reading at that time (think Dick and Jane). At the end of the year they figured out I had memorized the books and couldn't read at all. Had a tutor in 2nd grade who taught me to sound out words and finally could read. There is a disadvantage to that as I sometime mispronounce word terribly because I am sounding them out and had not heard the correct pronunciation. Example: Sea Anemone....I pronounced it annie - mone.

Carol in GA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,465 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Heehee, yes Penny! I think there is a bit of Hilda in all of us.💖👍.

Its days like today I am itching to visit a nudey resort! I took for granted the lifestyle. Most every weekend we'd be up there. I'd start my day off with a coffee and hot tub, then eat some fruit, maybe a granola bar, apply lotion, and do some laps in the pool, rinse off to get my tennis shoes on and play tennis until lunch time. Lunch was a sandwich, and water reapply lotion. In the afternoon I'd go to the water volleyball court pool and play a couple hrs there. Go back, make sure the boys had lotion on, reapply from head to toe, and get something to munch on and be by the pool until dinnertime. We'd eat simply like roast beef sandwiches and then we'd relax until 8pm, until the dance started. Then husband and I would have one drink when switch to water, and dance until 10 ish then sit in hot tub. We'd mozy on back to the RV. That was a typical Saturday.💖. The life of a nudist.💖
    Rebecca
  • b4leaving
    b4leaving Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! I was a member here back in 2019 - and I'm BACK. I have to track food again because of a new health issue (kidney stones), so I thought I would also re-join you all again. It's great to see so many familiar faces - you ladies sure are dedicated. It inspires me! I hope you are all doing well!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,713 Member
    Options
    Afternoon Ladies
    Well the new to me mattress is set and i made up the bed..
    I gave the guys that delivered it 50.00 to split not bad for a new to me mattress.im in jammies and watching tv ,very comfortable
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    We had a set of plastic herb shakers. I loved to mix our own seasoning for beef, chicken & fish. I enjoyed mixing herbs & spices in combinations that work well. The plastic shakers we bought wore out & we bought a nice set of glass shakers. Now we’re filling the new glass shakers with our own seasoning mixes. We’re ready to recycle the old plastic jars & they are already in the recycling can. :bigsmile:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,563 Member
    Options
    Jjjjj
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,161 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,352 Member
    Options
    Did a Jari Love Boot Camp DVD then took a walk around the block. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Power Yoga DVD and then probably take a walk.

I do have to say that ever since I got the pedometer and started to wear it at work, lately I have been somewhat obsessed with how many steps I can get in any one day.

Debbie – it’s interesting...growing up I was the person who lived in an apartment. I guess it just didn’t make sense for my father and me to live in a house. So growing up, I never had to do any kind of yard work, so I depend on Vince to tell me what to do and when to do it. Now it looks like I’m going to be doing most (if not all) of it. Oh well, I don’t mind getting extra steps in (see what I mean about my new obsession??)

Allie – why are you getting back less money? Did they find an error in your tax return?

Still on the cool side here. I wore a sweater last night and again this morning when I went for my walk. In the sun, I took it off. But I had to put it back on in the shade. Well, it’ll probably get warm later today.

Kim – Can you help me with plants? At least give me ideas. What zone are you in? I’m in zone 7

Carol GA – I want the dead plants and the overgrown ones taken out. There are holly bushes on the sides of the house. The ground drops off a bit at one end of the house and you have no idea how scared I get when Vince did trim it. I would have to hold a ladder while he was using an electric hedge trimmer. I would like that removed and a christmas tree put in its place. Those trees are slow growing, which works for me. The only one that will be trimmed back is the one at the corner (that you can see in the picture) of the house.

Yesterday the governor of NC lifted the mast requirement. It’s only required indoors on public transportation, in child care settings, in schools, in prisons and in some health care settings. He also lifted all mandatory capacity gathering and social distancing requirements. I’ll bet any amount of money that Food Lion is still going to require masks. They ARE recommending that unvaccinated people continue to wear a mask. But you know that unvaccinated people won’t wear a mask. But that’s their choice. The state also lifted all mandatory capacity, gathering and social distancing requirements. Wish he’d said something about those stupid Plexiglas things.

SteppinD – welcome! We talk about not only healthy exercise, good food (I’ve gotten some amazing hints here) and life in general because life affects how we eat, etc. Stress affects me, so does boredom. You can get some amazing tips and ideas here. You will find that we also encourage people, when they are making poor choices and when they’ve made a great choice. I do hope you’ll come back often.

I’m trying this checkerboard cake pan. Not sure if it’ll be a cake for the gal who is in charge of our bowling or if it’ll be for Vince. Depends on how it turns out. I’ve read that these checkerboard pans aren’t real good. Knowing me, I’ll need to see it myself. Made a chocolate and vanilla cake batter and with the remainder I made some cupcakes. They’ll be for Vince. I have some icing in the freezer, not sure if I’ll need more. I really don’t want to make more so I’ll ice the cake first and if I have to I’ll just sprinkle some confectioner’s sugar on Vince’s. Update: I think that cake is going to be for Vince because I really don’t like the way the checkerboard design came out. Did need to make more icing.

I had a recipe for a checkerboard cake. You make 3 cakes, 2 chocolate and 1 vanilla. You cut a (I forget the exact dimensions) 3” cookie cutter, then you cut out a 2” of the same cake, and you do this for all 3 layers. Then you layer the chocolate 3”, then the vanilla, then the chocolate, then you put the next layer of vanilla, chocolate, vanilla, then the next layer of chocolate, vanilla, chocolate. I just remember that it was a lot of work, but maybe I’ll try that again but this time with these smaller cake pans. Later: he’s definitely getting it. It broke (twice) on me.

Heather – question, when you ice a cake, how do you remove it from the turntable that you iced it on to the plate you are going to serve it on? Happy Birthday to your brother

Also this morning made salmon cakes for later in the week and also to freeze. Steve is going to be here the following week (the 24th) so I’m thinking that one night I might make salmon cakes for dinner. I know that he and Vince will want to go to Waffle House for breakfast Tuesday. I’ll pass. Update: he said he's not keen on any fish (boo) so I'm thinking of making this marinated pork tenderloin. You know how sometimes pork tenderloin can be so dry because it's so lean? Well, you marinate it with soy sauce and it's not dry.

Vince is working on Jess’ tax return right now. Fortunately, her’s isn’t as involved as ours so this doesn’t necessarily mean that I need to avoid Vince :)

katla – happy birthday to your husband

debbie – I can’t believe how thoughtless your sister is!

Strung popcorn for two hours. I’m almost at the end for this year. Lector at the church tonight

b4leaving – welcome back! I remember you!

Went for a walk around the block, now I think I’ll work on the puzzle a little and then take a shower.

Michele NC
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »

Yesterday the governor of NC lifted the mast requirement. It’s only required indoors on public transportation, in child care settings, in schools, in prisons and in some health care settings. He also lifted all mandatory capacity gathering and social distancing requirements. I’ll bet any amount of money that Food Lion is still going to require masks. They ARE recommending that unvaccinated people continue to wear a mask. But you know that unvaccinated people won’t wear a mask. But that’s their choice. The state also lifted all mandatory capacity, gathering and social distancing requirements. Wish he’d said something about those stupid Plexiglas things.

Michele NC

No changes here in Oregon, that I've seen. Everyone still masking and keeping distant. The CDC recommended that only fully vaccinated people can go maskless, except in certain situations, and since not even 50 % of adults are fully vaccinated, we should actually still be seeing a lot of masks. My husband and oldest son are fully vaccinated, but they are committed to masks until all of us in our family are fully vaccinated, which won't be for another five weeks.

I get my second jab on Tuesday. I have decided to continue masking when I am around other people. I know for sure that the people who have been wearing masks that say "My governor is an A**hole" are not going to be waiting to be fully vaccinated to remove their masks. So not safe yet. And I have very much enjoyed not being sick this year.

I took a walk at lunch on Thursday at work and slipped on some gravel walking on a steep downhill incline and fell on my right side. My right knee and elbow took the brunt of it, but my pants didn't rip (hooray!) and no one saw me (double hooray!) but my the left side of my back is really hurting. I'm assuming I someone twisted on my way down. I'm trying to balance resting my back and keeping my knee flexible with movement. It has been an interesting day. If I rest my back, my knee stiffens up. If I move to keep my knee warm and flexible, my back is painful.

Take care, everyone!

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,633 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,
    Michele – I am in 9b – we have very different climates and soil types. The distance makes it hard for me to help you; but I will try.

Spent all afternoon fixing sprinklers….

Smiles, Kim in Northern California
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    All caught up1

My tablet requires a password to access the forums, although it knows who I am if I want to log my food. So frustrating! I was too lazy to go look up the password, so I've been MIA.

Hugs to Machka, Rori, Allie, and everyone else who needs one.

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,494 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP,
    Bonus: chopped 4 more tarploads of brush
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, board meeting minutes, follow up with Dr re: Joe’s annual charges not covered 100%, watch for refund from Interpath for Joe’s labs paid on Feb statement call S, fire district: ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers).
    Meaningful May:
    15: Do something to contribute to your local community: typed hymns Friday, do minutes today-nope!
    16: Look up at the sky. Remember we are all part of something bigger. Beautiful sunset this evening.

Welcome @SteppinD ! You’re right, this is a message thread and you joined by posting. Come back often!
    Katla “a postponement can be a good thing” so true. That’s the hope we’re clinging to. Happy birthday to your DH. Confident you’ll find some fun way to celebrate.
    Debbie ((hugs)) hope your Mom sticks to her guns. Brava for supporting her through this difficult time.
    Kim ((hugs)) right back atcha for your helping your mom. There’s a FB meme that shws y dn’t rlly nd vwls ftr ll! :laugh:
    Welcome back @b4leaving ! Would you remind us what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Flea sorry to hear of your fall. While I’d love to line dance maskless, I know that at least a third of the gals are not vaccinated and don’t mask… so I will. :{

Just skimming as I am pooped from another almost 3 hrs chopping brush. It really takes it out of me. Got nothing else done. So be it.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    May: leaner/stronger/kinder than April.
    daily: sit with Joe:15 , weigh/wii: 15/1/14; steps>6362=2210 , vits=15, log=15, CI<CO=14, CI<250<CO=13, Tumble=9, Shadow=9, mfp=14, outside=14, up hill=12, clean 10=8.5
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3= rX x4=3 dance=2, packwalk x2=2,
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/2:139.1!, 5/9:141.8, 5/16:, 5/23:, 5/30:.
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=, 21 plan=, waist=42.5
    bonus: AF=13 play=1 sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW