If I see one more TOM post...

Options

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    One of the advantages of menopause is not having any advice to offer to women dealing with TOM, since I no longer have it. So I ignore those threads.
    :heart:
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Thanks for creating another TOM post.
    Indeed.
  • hookilau
    Options
    If you see another TOM post, skip over it and read something else. When people lose weight, they have to rethink lots of things that used to be routine--including their menstrual cycle. For some women, their menstrual cycle changes when they lose weight. Be grateful that you can take something like this for granted and overlook the posts that seem useless to you.

This happened to me, things got kinda weird and if it weren't for the negative responses, I'd have posted a thread asking questions. Instead, I lurked around and waited till someone had a similar question and read the responses with interest. I'm not sure people know the negativity can damn up the flow of information (no pun intended) :blushing:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I have to say it never ceases to surprise me, though, how many people ask the question, "Do you exercise when you have your period?" Seriously? Do you go to work when you have it? Do you clean your house or cook dinner or walk your dog? So yeah... I agree with OP that way.
  • Minks_esposa
    Options
    Is it really that hard to not open a post that annoys you, like seriously. I see a lot of the same threads about sugar, eating back cals after exercise, TDEE, etc. I just don't click on them, that's pretty simple if you ask me *shrugs*
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Still getting my period at 48!

If you don't want to see those posts, don't read 'em! :-)
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Don't bother; the OP exploded as soon as she hit "post reply."
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    If you see another TOM post, skip over it and read something else. When people lose weight, they have to rethink lots of things that used to be routine--including their menstrual cycle. For some women, their menstrual cycle changes when they lose weight. Be grateful that you can take something like this for granted and overlook the posts that seem useless to you.

This happened to me, things got kinda weird and if it weren't for the negative responses, I'd have posted a thread asking questions. Instead, I lurked around and waited till someone had a similar question and read the responses with interest. I'm not sure people know the negativity can damn up the flow of information (no pun intended) :blushing:

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't feel comfortable asking questions. Sometimes I think that we live in a culture that still won't talk about what women's bodies do (Last time I checked, this wasn't 1890, right?). I hope that even if you're unsure about general response, you'll still ask questions. Especially since reproductive cycles, whether it's your period, pregnancy and menopause can be so different for every individual woman-- or at least it can feel that way! :flowerforyou:
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Mother nature skipped over me because I am 42 and still having horrible times of the month.

What is her number again?
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am going to explode.

Ladies, you get a period. You probably got it when you were around 11 and you will probably get it until you are 40. It is a part of life.

Yes, you will get cravings. Wanna know how to not binge on candy when you're raggin'? Don't keep it in your house and don't go out of your way to buy it. If you just gotta have that chocolate bar, then have it. But don't use your red flow as an excuse to eat everything in sight.

Yes, you are going to bloat and yes, you are probably going to gain 3 or 4 pounds. But guess what? It is just bloat. It will go away as soon as you are done, provided you haven't binged on chocolate for 5 days straight.

Yes, you can exercise on your period. Pretty sure this was discussed in 5th grade health class. "I can still ride a bicycle?" Yes dear, and you can still go horseback riding AND go swimming! In fact, exercise is probably going to make you feel better!

Look, I get it. Being a woman sucks and having a period 13 times a year BLOWS. I suffer from horrible periods. I am nearly 6 months post partum and it still looks like something out of a horror movie down there. But I suck it up and move on because it ends after a few days and you can carry on like nothing ever happened.

But for crying out loud. Put your big girl panties and a pad on and suck it up and take responsibility for your actions and stop blaming your Aunt Flo.

Apologies for any spelling errors. Using phone.

This is also how I feel about the 18yr old who are whinning about losing 4lbs (which they don't need to lose).
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I'm 47. Can I go into menopause NOW please! I understand that it doesn't go past 40!LOL,! for real?
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    But i am a delicate lil flower that will waste away if i must run on my period and dont get to binge on chocolate!! ( lol)
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have to say it never ceases to surprise me, though, how many people ask the question, "Do you exercise when you have your period?" Seriously? Do you go to work when you have it? Do you clean your house or cook dinner or walk your dog? So yeah... I agree with OP that way.

Actually, when I still had mine I *would* miss work on a regular basis because the pain was so bad I could barely get out of bed, let alone exercise. I started mine when I was 10 years old, and was put on BC pills by the age of 13 in an attempt to mitigate the symptoms -- and it didn't help. Thanks to multiple ovarian cysts, fibroids, and then infertility treatments, it got to the point where a hysterectomy was my only option.

So yeah -- seriously.

If you don't want to see those posts, you are under no obligation to read them.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

Actually, when I still had mine I *would* miss work on a regular basis because the pain was so bad I could barely get out of bed, let alone exercise. I started mine when I was 10 years old, and was put on BC pills by the age of 13 in an attempt to mitigate the symptoms -- and it didn't help. Thanks to multiple ovarian cysts, fibroids, and then infertility treatments, it got to the point where a hysterectomy was my only option.

So yeah -- seriously.

If you don't want to see those posts, you are under no obligation to read them.

The only person I know IRL who also has complained of terrible pain and other period symptoms also had cysts, fibroids and such... so I don't think I've ever met anyone without some other health problems for whom periods were incapacitating. Of course, if you have some kind of medical condition, things can be different for you, but for a plain old ordinary period, it's not that bad.

I legitimately am surprised by how many people post about this. Not being snotty.

For the record, I never said anything insulting towards those who post. And I know I can skip over them. I just said I was surprised at how many people post about it.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Women with desk jobs probably don't find the two comparable, and I've found that running and lifting while cooking dinner is rather incompatible.

I have friends that have very light, short periods. To them, doing all of the above probably doesn't feel too different. They know they are lucky. For those who aren't as lucky, all of those things feel much different than usual and if something can be sacrificed, it probably will be. Exercise and going to work (for most) aren't at the same level of necessity.
  • hookilau
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't feel comfortable asking questions. Sometimes I think that we live in a culture that still won't talk about what women's bodies do (Last time I checked, this wasn't 1890, right?). I hope that even if you're unsure about general response, you'll still ask questions. Especially since reproductive cycles, whether it's your period, pregnancy and menopause can be so different for every individual woman-- or at least it can feel that way! :flowerforyou:

:laugh: yes, it *is* odd that one would be concerned about backlash, but there it is:indifferent: It's almost as if you have to catch the boards at the right time in order to get info that can help. These boards can be like having a magic 8 ball to shake up & ask questions of...sometimes she kicks like a mule :laugh: annnd yes, the variables are the very reason why we want to ask questions. :drinker:
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options

I know some women who act like they are literally dying....Maybe they are :laugh:

My P/T used to cancel on me all the time because she had bad TOM - annoyed the *kitten* out of me.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    The only person I know IRL who also has complained of terrible pain and other period symptoms also had cysts, fibroids and such... so I don't think I've ever met anyone without some other health problems for whom periods were incapacitating. Of course, if you have some kind of medical condition, things can be different for you, but for a plain old ordinary period, it's not that bad.

I legitimately am surprised by how many people post about this. Not being snotty.

For the record, I never said anything insulting towards those who post. And I know I can skip over them. I just said I was surprised at how many people post about it.

In all seriousness, who decides what is a plain old period? Not all women who suffer have fibroids or cysts. I do agree women have periods on a spectrum, so for some a plain old period is more of an inconvenience than a real interference, but I disagree that only women with medical conditions can fall under the interference category. I haven't really heard anyone past high school talk openly about their periods unless they are very close friends, so it just may be that we don't really know how bad the women around us have it.

I'm really posting because I'm mad that OP got me excited about periods stopping at 40 and was apparently wrong.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have had roughly 390 periods. If I haven't mastered it by now, I am never going to.

Ha. I'm not far behind and I haven't mastered them yet.

They started out every 28 days, no cramps, no food craving, no fatigue, no moodiness and fairly light. I barely knew it was that time of the month.

Now? FML. They come every 17-33 days (honestly it's a surprise every month these days), so heavy I have to change the tampon every 1-1.5 hours. Moodiness, major food cravings and on Day 2 I'm so tired I barely want to get out of bed (although it's been day 3 lately, yep even that "constant" is ever changing. Grrr. It down right sucks. Yes, I've been to the doctor. Except for a small fibroid I'm healthy. Do I still exercise? Yes, but I'm always happy when Day 2 happens to fall on a rest day.

I really don't care about TOM posts. I think they can be helpful. In my case, my mom had a hysterectomy at age 29. Add in she is overweight, never exercised and generally lazy. Even if she could tell us her experiences I'm sure her advice would not be helpful.