If I see one more TOM post...

Replies

• I am going to explode.

Ladies, you get a period. You probably got it when you were around 11 and you will probably get it until you are 40. It is a part of life.

Yes, you will get cravings. Wanna know how to not binge on candy when you're raggin'? Don't keep it in your house and don't go out of your way to buy it. If you just gotta have that chocolate bar, then have it. But don't use your red flow as an excuse to eat everything in sight.

Yes, you are going to bloat and yes, you are probably going to gain 3 or 4 pounds. But guess what? It is just bloat. It will go away as soon as you are done, provided you haven't binged on chocolate for 5 days straight.

THANK YOU! about time someone says it!! and very well said I might add :laugh:

Yes, you can exercise on your period. Pretty sure this was discussed in 5th grade health class. "I can still ride a bicycle?" Yes dear, and you can still go horseback riding AND go swimming! In fact, exercise is probably going to make you feel better!

Look, I get it. Being a woman sucks and having a period 13 times a year BLOWS. I suffer from horrible periods. I am nearly 6 months post partum and it still looks like something out of a horror movie down there. But I suck it up and move on because it ends after a few days and you can carry on like nothing ever happened.

But for crying out loud. Put your big girl panties and a pad on and suck it up and take responsibility for your actions and stop blaming your Aunt Flo.

Apologies for any spelling errors. Using phone.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    40? LOL. I remember when 40 seemed old to me too.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    The only person I know IRL who also has complained of terrible pain and other period symptoms also had cysts, fibroids and such... so I don't think I've ever met anyone without some other health problems for whom periods were incapacitating. Of course, if you have some kind of medical condition, things can be different for you, but for a plain old ordinary period, it's not that bad.

I legitimately am surprised by how many people post about this. Not being snotty.

For the record, I never said anything insulting towards those who post. And I know I can skip over them. I just said I was surprised at how many people post about it.

In all seriousness, who decides what is a plain old period? Not all women who suffer have fibroids or cysts. I do agree women have periods on a spectrum, so for some a plain old period is more of an inconvenience than a real interference, but I disagree that only women with medical conditions can fall under the interference category. I haven't really heard anyone past high school talk openly about their periods unless they are very close friends, so it just may be that we don't really know how bad the women around us have it.

I'm really posting because I'm mad that OP got me excited about periods stopping at 40 and was apparently wrong.

I used to work with high school aged girls and then I worked with college students and you'd be surprised how much misinformation still exists about the human reproductive system. Lots of these girls never really spoke to anyone about their menstrual cycles and thought they might be "abnormal." In some ways, with regards to stigma and misinformation, there's a lot of silence around these issues. Maybe people are asking these questions on online forums because it helps to be an anonymous person as opposed to asking your doctor or friend or parent, etc and thinking you're "weird."
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Isn't TOM the guy who started Myspace?

yes and I believe he is still my friend when I joined haha
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    I'm really posting because I'm mad that OP got me excited about periods stopping at 40 and was apparently wrong.

:laugh: I'm with you there...
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    40?? LMAO
    Wake up and smell the coffee. Try 54 !! And try having night sweats starting at 40, and still going strong at 55.

Just a fact of being female and yes it sucks!

I imagine I will sleep again when I am dead!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Is it really that hard to not open a post that annoys you, like seriously. I see a lot of the same threads about sugar, eating back cals after exercise, TDEE, etc. I just don't click on them, that's pretty simple if you ask me *shrugs*

Simple to me too!
  • dixiewk
    dixiewk Posts: 8
    I'll add that exercising when wearing pads is very different than when using tampons. The fear the pad might shift - or even fall out! - the discomfort of it sticking or bunching, etc. (I'd include leaking, but tampons are also quite capable of that). Not everyone can/wants to wear tampons. For pad-wearers, exercising during menstruation may be a genuine issue.

I've known women with cramps so painful they'd pass out or throw up. Congrats to those of you with three-day, light flow periods.
  • LuvDarkChocolate
    LuvDarkChocolate Posts: 145 Member
    40?.....Try 52 and still going. Where's my snickers bar ? I know one of you stole it
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    40?! Where did you go to school. Got to sue your teachers lol
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    Being a woman sucks and having a period 13 times a year BLOWS.

That little? Working on my second period this month. Gotta love that *kitten*.
  • LuvDarkChocolate
    LuvDarkChocolate Posts: 145 Member
    Try exercising after a fistula surgery....now thats friggin fun
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Done at 40?!? LOLOLOL Aunt Flo is still strong at 53 here.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    If you don't like "I'm sick of TOM threads" threads then don't read this thread.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    :drinker:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I'm glad it's not true that my periods will stop when I'm 40. Sure, they aren't much fun, but I'd like to still have my regular hormonal cycles in 5+ years from now.
  • Jaine86
    Jaine86 Posts: 36
    wow I mustn't cruze the topics much because until this I havent seens any TOM posts.
    I guess people just want some comfort knowing its all okay and normal and will pass.

I dont see the harm in reassuring someone, if you dont like it dont read it!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    40? That's the young end of the spectrum of normal menopause. That being said, Mother Nature waved her wand over me when I was 42.

I get why there are so many ToM posts. Depending on the woman that can have huge effects on how she feels and how her weight responds to her efforts to change it.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    But i am a delicate lil flower that will waste away if i must run on my period and dont get to binge on chocolate!! ( lol)

Hells yeah.
    This excuse worked for most of my sophomore year. Til we got a female phys-ed teacher. :grumble:
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    40 huh? Speaking of knowing your own reproductive system, maybe you should do a little research about yours as well?