May 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    Ok so I was supposed to be reading everyones stuff by it life has been crazy. I have been getting out to run at least three times a week at about over a mile each but I am going slow and steady... All I expect from myself is to finish...

Looking forward, I want to up it for next month and was wondering how often I should be running.. for a newbie. Is three times a week good? Will everyday in the long run cause injury? Any pointers/lessons for the new?

Agree with @quilteryoyo. I'm definitely not as seasoned as many of the runners here having been running for about 3 years. That said, I ran 3 days a week for the first 2 years. I even trained for my first HM only running 3 days a week. Just in the past year have I moved up to 4. Balance is important. Some sort of cross-training should be occupying some of those non-running days. And actual rest days are just as important. Even among the streakers in this group, most only go for so long and some of those runs are a mile or 2 at most (except for @AlphaHowls who exists on a level none of us can touch!).
    Given the relatively low volume you are currently running, I would focus on getting some distance built first. I'm not sure if you are following a plan, but I cannot recommend C25k enough. It is great for base building and preparing your body for the challenges of running several days a week.
    You're doing great! Keep it up.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 how are you weighting your backpack for training? What weight are you working up to? You'll have overnight camping gear? One of my friends is starting to talk about camping for some of our hikes and I'm a little terrified of the amount of gear. Not as much for the weight as for the price, lol. Nice 6 am run and hope you had a good hike.
    I have a mixture of essential items (toiletries, clothing, sleeping pad and pillow, rain cover for pack, rain jacket) that I will need in the GC, and then some items just to add weight. Canned goods are really easy to toss in and the weight is shown on the label. I also have a 3 pound hand weight in there. We will have to carry between 30-35 pounds on the hike.

I originally purchased a 50L backpack but I've upgraded to a 65L which is the minimum size recommended for the GC hike. The guide company for our hike is providing a tent, sleeping bag and trekking poles. They could also provide the sleeping pad and backpack but I prefer to take my own. We have a pre-meeting the night before the hike begins and the guide will give us their equipment and show us how to pack properly.

It does get costly fast. One thing to consider when purchasing is not only the price but the weight of the item. Lots of little things add up quickly in weight! We have a local hiking club that rents equipment to its members for minimum amounts. Maybe there is something similar in your area you can try until you decide if you want to invest in your own items. There are lots of You Tube videos out there on best sleeping pad, best tent, etc. One of my favorite hikers to watch is a gal named Dixie who has through hiked the AT and many, many other trails.

Glad you're getting a break from work. Well-deserved. Your rainy run sounds like it was fun!

• Teresa502
    Options
    Rest day for me today. I did about 30 minutes of strength training followed by a stretch class.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 3.14
    5/2 - 3.34
    5/4 – 3.22
    5/6 – 3.11
    5/9 – 3.27
    5/11 – 3.2
    5/12 – 1.11 walking pups
    5/13 – 3.26
    5/14 – 1.30 walking pups
    5/14 – 1.52 hike with Champ
    5/15 – 5.02 miles trail walking
    5/16 – 3.20 miles
    5/18 – 3.11 – all running no walking
    5/20 – 3.02 – all running
    5/21 – 1.31 walking pups
    5/21 – 5.25 biking – not counted in mileage
    5/22 -2.02 mostly walking not feeling it
    5/23 – 5.08 trail running
    5/24 – 1.1 – walking pups – 30 minutes of biking
    5/25 – 3.01 walking with pups
    5/26 – 3.03 running
    5/27 – 3.03 mostly walking with pups

59.50 of 50 miles
    @quilteryoyo @katharmonic I thought it was funny too, I spend so much time trying to get off the same schedule and path he’s at, he’s a smelly one in the summer. @katharmonic Running in the rain with the puddles sounds awesome.
    @quilteryoyo you are a very busy person!
    Welcome @pabmac
    @abowersgirl you might want to look into C25K, it’s a great program for the beginner, it will guide you with your running and prevent injury. I don’t recommend running every day, for some it never causes problems, but remember that recovery days are important too. You can also cross train on days off, walk, ride a bike, swim, etc.

Races:
    June 5 – Big Run 5K
    November 14 – Battleship 12K

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    @teresa502 - I love Dixie! I have been following her Florida Trail thru-hike. That scale is too much for me, but I could see wanting to do some shorter (2-3 nights) hikes. There are so many interesting places to visit that become accessible with a couple nights in the woods.
  • Teresa502
    Options
    @teresa502 - I love Dixie! I have been following her Florida Trail thru-hike. That scale is too much for me, but I could see wanting to do some shorter (2-3 nights) hikes. There are so many interesting places to visit that become accessible with a couple nights in the woods.

She and her sister hiked/walked one of the Santiago El Camino trails last year and I savored every minute of her vidoes! That one is on my dream list! I also want to thru hike the John Muir trail. I will have to check out the Florida trail.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Welcome @pabmac!

@abowersgirl - If you are running 3 times/week comfortably, my recommendation is to leave those 3 days at roughly the same mileage and instead add any additional planned mileage for that week on another day. Keep in mind not to add more than a 10% increase in mileage week over week. So for a rough example, if you are running 3 miles Tues, 2 miles Thurs and 5 miles Sat for a total of 10 miles, you can afford to add another mile the next week. Perhaps you might choose to do something like running 2 miles on Mon, 2 miles on Tues, 2 miles on Thurs and 5 miles on Sat for a total of 11 miles. I would also only add an extra day of running every 4-6+ weeks or so just to prevent doing too much too fast (your body will need some time to adjust), and try to stop yourself at 6 days/week max until you really, really feel super-duper extra comfortable doing more than that. It can take a year or more of regular running to build up the tough tissue (ligaments, bones, etc) to handle the pounding your legs are now being subjected to. Keep that in mind in case you ever feel like getting super aggressive or feel you might be pushing too hard. Also, make sure to incorporate down weeks in your training, about every 3-4 weeks for most people, some even go every 6 weeks. Don't just steadily build forever! :smile: What others said about cross training is super important. At a bare minimum, just to avoid excessive injuries, make sure you do some specific "strength exercises for runners" (Googling that will get you started). You would be amazed how unprepared the average person's body is for running based on our sedentary lifestyles! Just because you can make your legs move yourself forward doesn't mean you're doing it right and you may wind up feeling pain/soresness in all sorts of crazy spots later based on weak muscles. Doing those sorts of exercises help to ensure you tackle any weak spots and in time having those muscles contributing on your runs will basically fix the most common running form issues.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    5/2 - 5.66 mile 82 min easy effort
    5/3 - 2.11 mile 30 min easy effort
    5/4 - 2.15 mile 30 min easy effort
    5/5 - 1.66 mile 20 min stamina effort
    5/6 - 2.19 mile 30 min easy effort
    5/7 - 2.17 mile 30 min easy effort
    5/9 - 4.15 mile 60 min easy effort
    5/10 - 3.46 mile 48 min easy effort
    5/11 - 3.47 mile 48 min easy effort
    5/12 - 2.61 mile 32 min stamina effort
    5/13 - 3.45 mile 48 min easy effort
    5/17 - 3.20 mile 45 min easy effort
    5/18 - 3.25 mile 45 min easy effort
    5/19 - 2.36 mile 30 min tempo run (15 min Z4 with 7.5 min Z2 warm-up and cool-down)
    5/20 - 3.20 mile 45 min easy effort
    5/21 - 3.21 mile 45 min (17 easy, 8 x 45 sec sprints with 2:45 cool downs)
    5/23 - 8.14 mile 120 min (90 Z2, 30 Z3)
    5/24 - 3.28 mile 45 min easy effort
    5/25 - 3.25 mile 45 min easy effort
    5/26 - 2.83 mile 35 min tempo run (20 min Z4 with 7.5 min Z2 warm-up and cool-down)
    5/27 - 3.30 mile 45 min easy effort

May total: 69.10miles
    May goal: 95 miles
  • sweetdaisy13
    sweetdaisy13 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Since Covid measures have been put in place, we are no longer able to watch our children in sports practice (they play Hockey - think it's called Field Hockey in America). Therefore instead of spending an hour wasting time on my phone sat in the car, I go for a run instead. That way, I'm trying to spend my time wisely.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    today was the long run of the week, slowly working myself up to 10k with a time goal. 6.44km in total. The beginning was hard-going but then all fell into place despite the still fairly strong winds. Finished with an average pace of 8:10 min/km, which for me is fast for this distance and current level of fitness. Me happy.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    The question @abowersgirl posted really got me to thinking back on how much great advice I received years ago here as a new runner. I recalled this thread which is still listed in the sticky "Most Helpful Posts" thread in the Fitness and Exercise forum. This info is pure gold for all new runners and definitely helped me when I was starting out.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    Nice run @yirara !
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Distance Log:
    5/4 1.5 miles
    5/8 1.7 miles
    5/10 2.2 miles
    5/17 2.2 miles
    5/19 2.26 miles
    5/21 2.18 miles
    5/24 2.31 miles
    5/26 2.37 miles
    5/28 2.44 miles

Total: 19.16/20 miles

I feel like I should have wandered around a little more at the end today and I could have made up that last 0.84! I'll be going out on Monday so I'll get that last bit in and meet my modest goal, which makes me happy.

I was up very late for me last night and almost decided to put off running until tomorrow, but I checked the forecast and it's supposed to rain hard all night tonight and tomorrow morning. So I went out there anyway and I was tired but it was very pleasant. Much better than getting rained on. I am glad it's going to be raining, though, because then I don't have to worry about watering my plants! Our May has been unseasonably dry, which is nice for recreation but not so nice for gardening!

@rheddmobile I'll continue praying for you. I think @quilteryoyo has some good ideas for options for support. I know my church has a ministry that exists for these exact situations, if there isn't something informal like friend or family support to lean on, or even to supplement that when needed. <3