• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77

😲 that was beautiful
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    In terms of equipment, starting as a beginner you can do a lot with just bodyweight. Try pushups and squats to start.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,067 Member
    Options
    Thank you! You’re dead right I do have pretty bad posture, a year of online college didn’t exactly help either 🥲 I wanted those elegantly slim arms where the elbow is wider than the bit above it but I’m not sure that’s possible for most people?

No idea. I have giant elbows because I have Really Big arm bones (really! even at BMI 20 I have large-ish wrists, usually wear men's large gloves (lots of women's don't fit at all), my ring finger is size 10 (common women's rings often stop at size 9), etc. ). I absolutely would never, ever, call my arms "elegantly slim", but I don't know if my giant elbows are bigger visually than my upper arm, or not. That's my arm in the profile photo, but it's hard to tell what it looks like when bent like that. I guess I think I'm sort of skinny/stringy, but defined-ish in the arms? I don't have a current photo with straight arms, but they looked like this at BMI 19-point-something a few years back when I overshot goal weight.

s0fuju2xublo.jpg

Personally, I feel like the vital thing is to find our own beauty in the general overall body shape we personally have. We can work on that shape, to bring it to (realistic) points that make us happy. That, plus confidence that comes from finding it, is IMO what makes people attractive - that's what I mean in my PP by "figure out ways to be the best you".

At this stage, I have to be honest, I'm not very interested in my *appearance* much at all, more interested in capabilities for doing stuff. If anything appearance-wise, I think it's fun to look stronger or fitter than most people seem to expect a 65-year-old woman to be. 😉 (Photos are both more like age 60, I think. I don't look much different now, though, IMO. Someday I will, since I'm Getting There age-wise, but that'll be fine, too.)
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Thank you! You’re dead right I do have pretty bad posture, a year of online college didn’t exactly help either 🥲 I wanted those elegantly slim arms where the elbow is wider than the bit above it but I’m not sure that’s possible for most people?

What you describe as "elegantly slim" is better thought of as "skeletal." You have perfectly normal-looking human arms, attached to a perfectly normal-looking human body.

I think I described it badly I don’t mean the elbow bone is literally jutting out but just that the upper arm curves inwards a little instead of continuing to get wider until the shoulder. Again, I see it’s not a reasonable goal for me though

I'm still not sure about verbal descriptions, but I think you'd find your upper arms would be "contour-y-er" or "shape-y-er" long term from some patient strength training. (Do full body, though, not *just* arms!)

Consider programs here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

(There are bodyweight ones in there for beginners - you don't need weights or a gym, at least not right off the bat.)
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

What you describe as "elegantly slim" is better thought of as "skeletal." You have perfectly normal-looking human arms, attached to a perfectly normal-looking human body.

I think I described it badly I don’t mean the elbow bone is literally jutting out but just that the upper arm curves inwards a little instead of continuing to get wider until the shoulder. Again, I see it’s not a reasonable goal for me though

I think my arms are kinda like that but I it’s probably just due to genetics though. Gonna post some photos to compare… when I was obese my arms were definitely thicker. I lost 43 lbs over 10 months and my arms slimmed down but they were one of the last places I lost fat from. When I was younger and before I was obese I was always very self conscious about my “spaghetti arms” and now that I am a healthy BMI 23.3 they are back to being spaghetti-like but I don’t mind anymore, they are what they are and I am happy with them. For reference I am 5’11” 167 lbs 46y/o and mainly a runner, I don’t really do arm exercises, maybe a little swimming but that’s about it, I’ve maintained my goal weight for 7+ years now. Not sure if this helps but you can see how my arms did change with my weight loss, although you look like you are already at a healthy weight and much younger than me. By the way, your arms look completely normal and proportional to your size. Recomp definitely sounds like the way to go for you, best of luck! :)
    xmvs9m5v72k7.jpeg
    q2fc9pdjz09u.jpeg
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'm still not sure about verbal descriptions, but I think you'd find your upper arms would be "contour-y-er" or "shape-y-er" long term from some patient strength training. (Do full body, though, not *just* arms!)

Consider programs here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

(There are bodyweight ones in there for beginners - you don't need weights or a gym, at least not right off the bat.)

Thank you, I’ll check them out! I can’t actually do a single push up at the moment so it will be nice to gain some strength aside from aesthetic changes lmao 😬

If I can make a suggestion, rather than start with knee pushups, which are really a different movement, start from an elevated surface such as a chair or a counter, and move to a lower surface whenever it starts feeling easy. When I first started getting fit I was so out of shape that I did wall pushups, and they were hard! A good form push-up hits all your core muscles as well as your chest, back, and arms, so it’s a lot of bang for the buck.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Can I just say mewing is just using correct tongue and body posture and definitely will make a difference in your jaw and face appearance if done correctly.
    This is my before and after mewing about 3 months
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Can I just say mewing is just using correct tongue and body posture and definitely will make a difference in your jaw and face appearance if done correctly.
    This is my before and after mewing about 3 months

I can’t get my tongue to sit at the roof 🥺 the tip is always there and I can put the middle up if I think about it but I physically cannot get the back of it up
    I had lots of trouble at the beginning as well it takes a bit of work! I also have a posterior tongue tie which makes it very hard.
    Try swallowing correctly by only using your tongue and not other facial muscles you should feel the back of your tongue on the roof of your mouth.
    Also check out Mike Mew on YouTube if you haven’t already
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Could be postural, but it's normal for bodies to have some asymmetry. It's certainly in the range of normal to have a bit more muscle on the dominant-hand side, whether visible or not, among other possibilities.

I don't think your body in that last photo looks anything even faintly abnormal, but if you're curious, it might be useful, next time you see your doctor for some other reason, to ask her/him to take a look at your spine for straightness, or other things of that sort. (Many of us can have a bit of asymmetry there - or anywhere - without it being any kind of a problem, so I'm suggesting it just as an interesting thing to ask, if it interests *you*, not as a screening for some possible Big Deal that I'm not telling you about).

As an aside, it's also normal to *feel* that one's posture is X when it's actually slightly Y, such as feeling one is straight when one is not. My sport is a technical one, where body positions really matter (on-water rowing, specifically). Coaches regularly give us corrections about things that we're doing that don't match with what we thought we were doing, posture-wise or in other physical ways. Self-perception of body position only goes so far, particularly after we've internalized a certain posture or movements as feeling "normal". 🤷‍♀️

Bodies are weird. So are brains. 😉

Don't worry. 🙂
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Not sure about arms - but re chins: Actor Cary Grant (who supposedly never had plastic surgery) swore by daily chin exercises. One was repeatedly doing an exaggerated Ah-OOO-gah - thrusting the chin forward on the 'OOO.' The other exercise was to lie down with your head hanging off the bench or bed and sloooowly lifting your head up.

After losing 80lbs./5.7 stone my chin was looking saggy. I'm up for a neck lift - but I thought I'd give it a year and see what exercise could do. I've been doing ol' Cary's exercises now for a month and can tell you it HAS made a difference!