Myfitnesspal

Message Boards General Health, Fitness and Diet
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Double chin and fat arms

FidgetbrainFidgetbrain Member Posts: 76 Member Member Posts: 76 Member
Is there any way other than mewing (which people say doesn’t even work?) to get a sharper jawline? I physically cannot get the back of my tongue on the roof of my mouth so it’s really frustrating that it’s the only thing people suggest. I also would like some tips on how to slim down my arms. I’ve heard a lot that you can’t spot reduce fat but I’m already underweight on BMI so I would really like to just target arms instead of losing more weight (I’m 19y so according to the CDC children’s calculator I can lose a little more and still be healthy if that really is the only way). My body shape is really weird, pear shaped torso, with narrow shoulders and skinny legs but big arms (and I have a skin problem that makes them look red sometimes which just makes it look worse). Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83tinkerbellang83 Member, Premium Posts: 8,844 Member Member, Premium Posts: 8,844 Member
    As you mentioned you can't spot reduce fat and if you're already underweight then you defintely don't want to be in a calorie deficit.

Recomp could be an option: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

Essentially that's eating at or just above maintenance whilst doing a progressive weight training plan and ensuring adequate protein intake.
  • FidgetbrainFidgetbrain Member Posts: 76 Member Member Posts: 76 Member
    As you mentioned you can't spot reduce fat and if you're already underweight then you defintely don't want to be in a calorie deficit.

Recomp could be an option: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

Essentially that's eating at or just above maintenance whilst doing a progressive weight training plan and ensuring adequate protein intake.

Thank you, I’ll look into it!
    Thank you so much, I’ll take a look at those threads! I’m also female (poor choice of username from when I used this just to track and not talk) sorry for the confusion 😬 but if it was normal for girls to have beards you bet I’d be rocking one lmao
  • goal06082021goal06082021 Member Posts: 1,121 Member Member Posts: 1,121 Member
    Mewing doesn't actually do anything, so don't worry if you can't do it.

But yeah I'll cosign everything springlering says, she knows what she's talking about.
    Mewing doesn't actually do anything, so don't worry if you can't do it.

But yeah I'll cosign everything springlering says, she knows what she's talking about.

Great thank you, I did think it sounded too good to be true but some people swear by it 🤷
  • springlering62springlering62 Member, Premium Posts: 3,232 Member Member, Premium Posts: 3,232 Member
    Thank you so much, I’ll take a look at those threads! I’m also female (poor choice of username from when I used this just to track and not talk) sorry for the confusion 😬 but if it was normal for girls to have beards you bet I’d be rocking one lmao

That was the fastest name and profile pic change i’ve ever seen! You rock!

See, already positivity!!!!!!!
    Have you considered the possibility you're suffering from body dysmorphia? While it's possible your body shape is abnormal it's as likly that you're not seeing yourself with the same neutrality another person would and are seeing yourself inaccurately. I very much agree with building your overall strength and recomping. It might also help to discuss how you feel about the way you look with someone you trust who's older and might be able to put some of your fears to rest.
    Thank you, I’m fairly sure I don’t have that though like my worries aren’t all consuming or anything, I’d just like to see a few improvements over the summer before everywhere opens up again!
    Is there any way other than mewing (which people say doesn’t even work?) to get a sharper jawline? I physically cannot get the back of my tongue on the roof of my mouth so it’s really frustrating that it’s the only thing people suggest. I also would like some tips on how to slim down my arms. I’ve heard a lot that you can’t spot reduce fat but I’m already underweight on BMI so I would really like to just target arms instead of losing more weight (I’m 19y so according to the CDC children’s calculator I can lose a little more and still be healthy if that really is the only way). My body shape is really weird, pear shaped torso, with narrow shoulders and skinny legs but big arms (and I have a skin problem that makes them look red sometimes which just makes it look worse). Thanks in advance!!

I Thought you should try to reduce your intake calories first, then mixed with a lil of cardio. That would be helpful. It takes time for sure, but dont get discourage. It will pays off

I’m already doing that, I’ll keep it up a while longer and see if it eventually makes a difference but I don’t want to lower my calories any further

Thank you!! Very little is muscle for me but at least more than I thought 😬
    Took some pics finally lol, I like my body from the front but from the side I feel like my arms are too big relative to my legs
    sqjjifq9n21e.jpeg
    j4wnixpljicn.jpeg
    So it’s not ideal to lose everywhere at this point 😓
    Thank you both, recomp it is then though I’m quite limited in terms of access to equipment