Larger sizes: Why is there no fashion in double digits

Options

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Cause nothing looks good on fat people anyway.

Generalisation is (in general? ^^) inappropriate and, in this particular case, simply not true. Best example - the pencil skirt:

f9l1ly.jpg

As others have tried to point out, photoshop =/= real life.

I'm not saying bigger women can't look good in fashionable clothing. Just saying, photoshop doesn't help the case being made here.

All the pictures posted so far have been heavily shopped

tumblr_mgy8i33akg1s405ijo1_250.gif

I know. Which is why I don't think any of them have any validity in this convo.

But posting photos of non-models in a forum like this, unless it is of yourself, is super sketchy. I'd rather have somebody cry photoshop (as if all photos you see of everyone fat or thin, aren't) then have some ahole ridicule a person over what? Some troll on the internet?

It's absurd to say the 12+ women look bad in clothes. The person who said that quoted the picture and said "Indeed" the shopped version looks hideous. I am not doing that to a person who didn't sign up to have their photo taken and slashed around internet-land.

Nobody said you had to. You were the one who had a desire to prove one troll's opinion wrong.

I didn't say you should post pics of random un-shopped women. Just said that posted shopped women doesn't HELP or VALIDATE your point. That's all. No one here is arguing with you (besides that first poster who obviously did it to start drama) that plus size women can't look good in clothes.

Eh, but point actually wasn't to prove her wrong because it was an absurd statement to make. My point was to show a high fashion photograph of plus sized women. Photoshopping is a moot point because you see it across the board, no matter who the model is.
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I've been fat my entire life. Let's face it: no one wants to be fat. And not only because of health, but also because fat doesn't look good. No matter how nice the clothes are, a fat person can be dressed well, but it's not something really beautiful EVER! There are always chunky bits disturbing the balance of the silouette.
  • nicolej1016
    nicolej1016 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Getting back on track; a quote from the article which I think sums up a few of the issues well:

One place to start is to address sizing. "There is what I like to refer to as the lying, deceptive show-game of vanity sizing," Gunn said. "I'll use as an example a size 8 dress form. When I was at Parsons, we had dress forms from the 1980s and the early 1990s, and when I was there, we bought new dress forms. The difference in the waist size of the 1981 size 8 dress form and the 2001 dress form was two inches -- the 2001 being bigger. So what would have been a 12 in the 1980s is in fact an 8 today."

This fluctuation not only confuses shoppers, but also increases the stigma against larger sizes. We've become less familiar and therefore less comfortable seeing larger sizes sitting on the shelves -- sizes 12, 14, 16. Women don't want to buy themselves clothing in these sizes, and thus designers are only less likely to design clothes whose tags bear those sizes. "I think we should just be honest about these sizes and not try to pretend they are something that they're not," Gunn argued.

And the same goes for the small end of the spectrum. "[The standard size for runway models] is a two now, but that would have been a size 00 years ago," Gunn pointed out. "I mean, there are so many models walking the runway who haven’t even gone through puberty, and this is not real world.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've been fat my entire life. Let's face it: no one wants to be fat. And not only because of health, but also because fat doesn't look good. No matter how nice the clothes are, a fat person can be dressed well, but it's not something really beautiful EVER! There are always chunky bits disturbing the balance of the silouette.

YOu are more than entitled to your opinion, I just strongly disagree. I've known a lot of very beautiful women who are overweight.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options

When my *kitten* got fat last year, I was swarmed by men. Shocked the heck out of me. I even got into a car accident which was clearly my fault, and the cop gave me a great excuse. I think some people like bulges. Maybe you don't, but it may not be as off putting as you think.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later. Looks like a good one!
  • faithsimmons526
    faithsimmons526 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    And btw, I can look DAMN good anytime I want. Went to a party the other night and turned more heads and gained more stalkers than the "skinny" ones. It's about attitude...

What she said.^^
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    http://www.fashiontofigure.com/
    http://www.torrid.com/torrid/Homepage.jsp

I always find cute and classy things here. I'm an apple figure so yes, there's still a struggle cause frankly pears are a much hotter shape, but alas, there's no excuse not to look amazing and hot while we're on our journey to loosing weight.

I had a friend who used to shop at Torrid. She used to find cute stuff. Although, if I remember right, it was a bit pricey? Not sure. But you get what you pay for!

When I was heavier, I loved Torrid!! That place rocks. I still will shop there for shoes, occasionally.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Cause nothing looks good on fat people anyway.

Hi 5!!!

Wait...what?

Actually this poster is correct see there is actually a terrible male conspiracy to make fat women naked. By not having a large choice of clothing we are forced to be naked because the only thing that looks good on a fat person is naked. It's just a way to force us to expose our large nurturing pendulous breast, the goddess mother stomach, and luscious booties. I understand the logic although it's rarely discussed why we are forced naked instead of into fashion.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    well, when i was a size 20, i could never find larger sizes in what i wanted, now i just started fitting into size 4, and i cant find size 4... all i wanted was levis 505 4L... kohls had every other size up to 20L, but not 4L... so, i think its just the way it goes... you never get what you need / want...

OMG this is me. I hated clothes shopping when I was heavy because nothing fit, and I hated facing the fact that I was a size 18. Now most of the clothes I try on are too big - even the smalls, unless it's the Juniors department.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    Judging from experience, it was easiest to find clothes when I was around a size 8 or a 10.

Now that I'm on the small side, it's a bit more difficult, but no way would I ever trade it just for that reason...
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

plus-size-models-v-magazine-2.jpg
    I can't get past the 2black vacuum hoses attached to her chest and twisted down around her hip. What ARE those supposed to be???
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

plus-size-models-v-magazine-2.jpg
    I can't get past the 2black vacuum hoses attached to her chest and twisted down around her hip. What ARE those supposed to be???

Symbol of lurv? Post modern breast pump?
  • faithsimmons526
    Options
    Im gonna change my photo to a picture of me in a size 14 dress......unfortanitly I dont know how to link it and make it bigger...Tell me how hideous it looks

I don't know, but looks to me like you've had no problem rocking the double digits.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    And btw, I can look DAMN good anytime I want. Went to a party the other night and turned more heads and gained more stalkers than the "skinny" ones. It's about attitude...

Yet in your profile your inspiration is "All of the cute clothes I wish I could wear!"

That's pretty funny.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Two real women, not photo shopped I am on the left a UK size 18 at the time my friend was a UK size 20 I think we look pretty good in what we are wearing. Larger women can find fashionable clothes. We are not perfect and I am sure some people might think we look terrible but that's ok we had a fantastic night out and got a lot of compliments.

77846ca2-e114-49a6-aab1-1d519cbba5c4_zps21d5c323.jpg

I like both dresses, but I can really see myself wearing the red one, so that's my favorite. You ladies look adorable. (Glad you cropped out the crocs, though. That would have hurt my eyes a little! :wink: )
  • faithsimmons526
    Options
    Actually this poster is correct see there is actually a terrible male conspiracy to make fat women naked. By not having a large choice of clothing we are forced to be naked because the only thing that looks good on a fat person is naked. It's just a way to force us to expose our large nurturing pendulous breast, the goddess mother stomach, and luscious booties. I understand the logic although it's rarely discussed why we are forced naked instead of into fashion.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Also, to the two ladies in the un-photoshopped photo above ... YOU ROOK MARVELOUS DARLINGS!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Two real women, not photo shopped I am on the left a UK size 18 at the time my friend was a UK size 20 I think we look pretty good in what we are wearing. Larger women can find fashionable clothes. We are not perfect and I am sure some people might think we look terrible but that's ok we had a fantastic night out and got a lot of compliments.

You both look beautiful! I'd wear that black & white number with the sleeves removed.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Currently a size 14/16 and there's definitely fashion in my size, it's just not as effortless. You have to look a little harder for your size, know exactly what shapes drape well on you, where things should & shouldn't be tight, etc. I order a lot of stuff online (ModCloth, American Eagle for XLs that the store only gets a few of, etc) which takes some patience for returns if something doesn't fit and buy pricier accessories since purses & shoes are almost always the right size ❤
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I don't think you look bad at all. Those are cute outfits and they flatter your shapes.