What irks you today?

Options

Replies

• SunflowerQueen36
    SunflowerQueen36 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    The fact that the wires in my brain are not connecting today.
    I can not focus on anything but I have so much to do 😫
    Self - lets get it together!!!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I'm a tad irked that someone posting an informative post about different colored trick or treat pails to signify allergies or autism led to a massive petty squabble in an online FB group I'm part of. The person posting was only passing along information from our local news station and yet, some d-bag just had to come on and argue about how it wasn't "the responsibility of other parents to monitor or know whether your kid had allergies or was autistic" and that he wasn't going to "participate in a culture that led to being "soft and inclusive"".

Does it really take that much for someone to have some inkling of empathy for families who have neurodivergent children (or adults) or who have severe allergies to COMMON ingredients? If you don't want to participate in having allergy free or non-scary stuff for kids, that's fine, but the rude commentary and accusing parents having to navigate a world for their children who have these issues is just disrespectful and honestly super insensitive.

It just struck me as particularly rude this morning. It was made even worse that the person in question then resorted to name calling in a military community when he realized all the spouses in the group weren't on his side. Seriously, calling all of us "dependas" simply because you're a person with a terrible opinion? Up to that point, no one had name-called him at all, just pointed out inaccuracies or issues with his opinion (and the fact that the post was supposed to just be informative, not requiring anyone to take any action at all).

It just ended up being very heated, very ridiculous and left a bad taste in many mouths, as it were.

Hmmm...

This is the first Halloween that I'll have to give out candy to neighborhood kids, and I hadn't really thought about allergens beyond nuts. Is it sufficient that I have...
    - some chocolate with nuts (snickers, butterfinger, etc)
    - some chocolate without nuts (twix, original hershey bar, rolos, etc)
    - some non-chocolates (skittles, starburst, blowpops, etc)

Should that cover most of my bases?
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,626 Member
    Options
    OKAY so my day job is answering phones at a garbage company and i was dead tired all day but the straw that broke the cammel's back was this old guy who refused to put his mom's name on her own account because it's not proper for a lady's name to be on the bills.

So is he paying the bill? Your name, your bill
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I'm a tad irked that someone posting an informative post about different colored trick or treat pails to signify allergies or autism led to a massive petty squabble in an online FB group I'm part of. The person posting was only passing along information from our local news station and yet, some d-bag just had to come on and argue about how it wasn't "the responsibility of other parents to monitor or know whether your kid had allergies or was autistic" and that he wasn't going to "participate in a culture that led to being "soft and inclusive"".

Does it really take that much for someone to have some inkling of empathy for families who have neurodivergent children (or adults) or who have severe allergies to COMMON ingredients? If you don't want to participate in having allergy free or non-scary stuff for kids, that's fine, but the rude commentary and accusing parents having to navigate a world for their children who have these issues is just disrespectful and honestly super insensitive.

It just struck me as particularly rude this morning. It was made even worse that the person in question then resorted to name calling in a military community when he realized all the spouses in the group weren't on his side. Seriously, calling all of us "dependas" simply because you're a person with a terrible opinion? Up to that point, no one had name-called him at all, just pointed out inaccuracies or issues with his opinion (and the fact that the post was supposed to just be informative, not requiring anyone to take any action at all).

It just ended up being very heated, very ridiculous and left a bad taste in many mouths, as it were.

Hmmm...

This is the first Halloween that I'll have to give out candy to neighborhood kids, and I hadn't really thought about allergens beyond nuts. Is it sufficient that I have...

Remember the days when we just had to worry about razor blades?

Kids these days are wimps! :)

Also, since you're already going all out, add some small toys or money? For the kids allergic to deliciousness?

Also, ALSO....one (bag) of each, please! :)
  • glassyo
    edited October 2021
    Options
    OKAY so my day job is answering phones at a garbage company and i was dead tired all day but the straw that broke the cammel's back was this old guy who refused to put his mom's name on her own account because it's not proper for a lady's name to be on the bills.

As a female, do you not get the bullshittedness of that? :o

Edited to add: Making up your own words ftw!
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,557 Member
    Options

Nah he’s paying it for her with her money? All very confusing
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,557 Member
    Options
    The squeeking sound my faux leather leggings are making when I walk 😳

Excuse me your hmm? Gonna need to see those
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 17,853 Member
    Options

Hmmm...

I think you've more than covered the bases.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options

Ugh.

Although I am against the blue autism bucket. Not for the reasons your icky person is against them, though. And this is definitely not the place to explain why.

The teal ones for allergies? Definitely. And I always have hot wheels cars and stickers and other things for those kids. But the other trick or treaters? Everyone gets candy at my house. If they want it. No age restrictions, no need to perform a “Trick or Treat!” And definitely no need for a costume.

And calling someone a “dependa” is truly low.

Pretty much. I appreciated the information, although I have no personal reason to follow it. I also am not 100% on using a specific color to help "label" a person walking down the street. I understand the reasons behind it, but I dunno.. it still feels icky. Like having a giant sign on my forehead that states "I STRUGGLE WITH MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES" (since this is something I deal with). It just feels wrong to me. But again, that's me.

I personally chose this year to not do any candy, but that was more from a financial aspect. Found out it was just as much to buy cute stickers, slap bracelets and glow-in-the dark bouncy balls for kids here than buying candy. It is a bit weird thinking that bags of candy would have cost me as much, if not more for the same amount as the toys/stickers I purchased.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options

Hmmm...

You have Skittles/Starburst. Most of the kids who have allergens can still eat those. A lot of the people in our neighborhoods just opted to have a tiny side bucket of cheap toys/stickers *just-in-case*.
  • glassyo
    Options
    A client just brought me a 1700 calorie sandwich that will probably be delicious and I keep telling him bring only the smallest sizes! :)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options

Hmmm...

On the off chance that all your nutted candies have somehow infected all your nutless candies, I'm pming you my address so you can get rid of the allergy riddled nutted candy bars.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

As a female, do you not get the bullshittedness of that? :o

Edited to add: Making up your own words ftw!

MFP can't "kitten" to death all your made-up words though. Chalk one up for you!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,376 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

Hmmm...

You have Skittles/Starburst. Most of the kids who have allergens can still eat those. A lot of the people in our neighborhoods just opted to have a tiny side bucket of cheap toys/stickers *just-in-case*.

In fact: 5 skittles = 1 dose of glucose. VERY handy for a diabetic child.

https://www.chatelaine.com/health/health-a-z/childrens-health-candy-as-effective-as-glucose-tablets-for-low-blood-sugar/amp/
  • PeacefulBalance
    PeacefulBalance Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Watching the clock tick by while trying to fall asleep - the insomnia is real tonight.

Hope you were able to get some rest!

Thank you @stevewallen I was! It felt great!! :)
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,376 Member
    Options
    Interesting to see what halloween has turned into for some. Like so many other issues, I continue to wonder why we feel the need to impose our values on other people. I'll do what's right for me and my family, you do what's right for you and your family. If I don't want to give out candy to older kids, I'll turn my light off at 7pm... I won't show up a kid or be an *kitten* because I think someone might be too old or not be dressed right or whatever else. That seems ridiculous.

As far as the labeling thing goes... I think it's double-sided coin and applies to all kinds of things throughout society. My sense is that some people want that label so they don't feel alone or aren't forced to shine a spotlight on their "thing", whatever it may be. Others don't want that label because they want to blend in or they don't want their "thing" to define/identify them. Frankly, I can't tell what people want or which camp they fall into. All I can do is be friendly and considerate... and if/when I can't do that, I turn my light off and close my door.

A few points:

1) You seem to be doing the 100% best thing. Hand out the goodies until you choose to turn out the porch light. Perfection.

2) The whole “labeling” thing is a huge topic.
    But basically, individuals labeling themselves? No issues. Others publicizing someone else’s diagnosis? Yes, even parents? Problematic on a good day.
    But I will leave that discussion for another time and place.

Mostly, tho…. Just keep on being a decent human being. Don’t slam the door in someone’s face for trick or treating as a tall person. That’s all I’m asking anyone to do on Halloween. And you’re doing that. ❤️
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 17,853 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Today I'm irked by people who can't be bothered to get up so you can get into your window seat when you're boarding a plane. Seriously. If I trip and land in your lap lady, it's your own fault.