What is the bear minimum exercise you need to do to be ripped/toned?

Options
Let’s assume you have your nutrition on point, meaning you’re hitting your calories and macro nutrients for your cut and bulk/lean bulk or whatever.

What is the most efficient cutting routing and most efficient bulking routine you can think of? I don’t mean lose ten pounds in a month. I mean, what plan would be the least amount of work per week that would lead to incredible results if you do it consistently over time? Could you theoretically get ripped with 90 minutes of lifting a week with the right exercises? Or maybe it’s ten minutes a day of HIT? What’s the least amount of effort and what’s the plan you should follow to be ready for hot boy/girl summer? GO!

Replies

• Luluetduet8
    Luluetduet8 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just to kick things off, my guess is 30 minutes three times a week of compound exercises. Upper body, lower body, total body?? I’ve never tried this so I’m just going off of what I’ve read.
  • Luluetduet8
    Options
    Right. The issue is that I chose a subjective goal. What if we say we’re going for 8 pounds of muscle a year for someone who is new to weight lifting…would the amount of lifting you do matter time wise (assuming progressive overload?) or is it not possible to even hit that level unless you’re working out an hour a day?
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I need a definition here, because 'ripped' and 'toned' are not the same thing in my mind. Both involve resistance training and weights, but only one of them involves hypertrophy and a very low body fat percentage.
  • Luluetduet8
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Okay let me try to rephrase…we’re trying to gain the max amount of muscle with the least amount of time spent lifting weights haha and you can state what you think this would be for someone brand new vs
    A veteran.
  • iam4scuba
    iam4scuba Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The issue is you're comparing two things and trying to come up with one answer. Max muscle and exercise time, trying to come up with the one best. What's better in your scenario: 15 lb muscle for 60 min/day or 9 lbs for 30 min/day?
  • Luluetduet8
    Options
    iam4scuba wrote: »
    The issue is you're comparing two things and trying to come up with one answer. Max muscle and exercise time, trying to come up with the one best. What's better in your scenario: 15 lb muscle for 60 min/day or 9 lbs for 30 min/day?

Either actually. I’m looking for efficiency. This is more of a thought experiment than anything else.

So for example, if you could only do nine lifts to make the most impact on your physic what would they be? What if you could only do five lifts?

Or maybe ….swimming sprints? Since it’s a full body work out and would cut down on your fat.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    A lot is going to depend on age, sex, and genetics, as well as your starting point and desired time frame.

You mentioned “hot girl summer” which makes me think you are asking the minimum to look good on the beach, not on the stage at a competition. Three sessions a week of compound exercises would probably do that if they were hard sessions. I lift pretty minimally - several compound lifts three times a week - and honestly it takes me more like 90 minutes per session unless I am really paying attention and forcing myself to stay on track. I could do it in 30 but it would have to be done as a circuit and it would take my full attention, no goofing off on the phone during recovery. For a 50+ woman with no great ambitions that keeps me in good enough shape that my neighbor makes comments like, “Damn! Have you seen yourself from the back? Your shoulders look amazing!” No one is going to mistake me for a bodybuilder, and leanness and getting ripped have to do with diet, not working out, but three sessions is enough for me to maintain enough muscle to look like a fit person. When I have to drop to two sessions I start losing reps and muscle gradually.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    A lot is going to depend on age, sex, and genetics, as well as your starting point and desired time frame.

You mentioned “hot girl summer” which makes me think you are asking the minimum to look good on the beach, not on the stage at a competition. Three sessions a week of compound exercises would probably do that if they were hard sessions. I lift pretty minimally - several compound lifts three times a week - and honestly it takes me more like 90 minutes per session unless I am really paying attention and forcing myself to stay on track. I could do it in 30 but it would have to be done as a circuit and it would take my full attention, no goofing off on the phone during recovery. For a 50+ woman with no great ambitions that keeps me in good enough shape that my neighbor makes comments like, “Damn! Have you seen yourself from the back? Your shoulders look amazing!” No one is going to mistake me for a bodybuilder, and leanness and getting ripped have to do with diet, not working out, but three sessions is enough for me to maintain enough muscle to look like a fit person. When I have to drop to two sessions I start losing reps and muscle gradually.

As another 50+ woman, I’d add that putting on eight pounds of muscle isn’t easy.

I work a damn sight more than 90 minutes a week to get results and comments similar to @rheddmobile

I dunno, maybe it’s easier for the younger set, but I see much younger people busting their *kitten* at the gym and somehow suspect it’s not.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    in my way of thinking, "fastest results to ZOMG hot girl summer body" sounds a lot like "cheapest humanly possible place to get a tattoo" or "what could possibly be wrong with week-old sushi?"

just saying

EXACTLY.

Also sounds a lot more like someone trying to prove something to someone else, and that sounds an awful lot like 'Hold my beer and watch this' and we all know how THAT ends.