who has kept weight off for 2 years

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Nope. I reached my goal in fall of 2011. Gained it all back. On the way back down again.
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Me - I was 220lbs in 2007 and I've been in the 160-165 range since then (the 5lb range is more than reasonable, it's the usual monthly fluctuation). Including grad school (in the UK, heavy drinking), traveling and eating at restaurants for about two years, and birth control changes. I'm on the upper edge of my limit right now. The past year of thesis-finishing and job hunting and moving all over the place was not conducive to staying terribly active and the weight creeped up a bit (hit 170 briefly). So I'm on here to get down to 160 again, maybe lower. Mostly to remind myself that I shouldn't have that second glass of wine and to stop nomming on cheese fries at bars (though they are surprisingly efficient at giving you a carb boost during your morning run).

I think the reason for all these reports is that so many people "diet." You can't diet. You need to change the way you think about food and exercise and your body. Diets put you into starvation and denial mode and that can't (and shouldn't be) sustainable. 1,000 calorie diets are not the way to go - eating and exercising in a way that you can maintain for the rest of your life is.
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    I lost 130 pounds between 2007-2008...maintained it until getting pregnant at the end of 2011 (after completing treatments for breast cancer)...gave birth in May 2012 and fighting again to get it off but I WILL do it :wink:
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    @ Andy what an inspirational, articulate post and excellent tips too!
    It's an interesting topic
    My experience is that to keep weight off required a change in lifestyle and attitude towards food and exercise

Food should taste good, but also be good for you
    if it's not, then it is an occasional treat and in moderation only
    it is also counterbalanced by a corresponding increase in exercise intensity or time
    If i eat a pizza while drinking beer, it means an extra workout that week
    If not, i know it will be reflected on the scales and no use complaining about it or wishing it wasn't so

And I made breakfast the most important meal of the day - too many people skip breakfast
    i have a big bowl of 5 grain porridge with rice milk and all other sorts of super foods that boost immunity and aid health
    (I have hep c so I pay particular attention to my health)
    I eat my breakfast around 7am and it lasts me until around 1-2pm when i have a large lunch

to keep weight off i need to get some form of exercise after work every day, and on 2 -3 nights i will only have a small dinner
    Sardines on toast or a smoothie of berries and protein powder maybe with a banana
    I may go to bed a bit hungry sometimes, but means that I look forward to a big low GI breakfast the next morning
    The old saying - breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper

To lose weight and keep it off, for me anyway, requires consistency, determination, will power, and bloody hard work

i also got to know my body and accept that sometimes it needs a break
    When you've been flogging yourself in workouts and every muscle aches and you grunt when you get out of the chair
    it's time for active recovery - a slow to brisk walk or a slow paced cycle or similar

I still try and remember that will power is good, but deprivation isn't
    Donuts are great, but are 'dead food' - all calories for a short lived psychological benefit
    Nuts and seeds are great and are good for you
    i don't feel deprived saying no to a donut - I'll have some nuts and seeds instead

i don't want to sound puritanical - this is just my experience and what works for me
    i have hep c from previous drug use and still struggle with life sometimes
    I believe that food is just another type of addiction and can be dealt with in the same way
    When i'm focused on my health and my weight, it diverts me from less healthy pursuits
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    1/13/2010 I weighed in at 188 lbs and all my vitals going bad.. Cholesterol, Blood Pressure and appearance.
    Now weigh in at 169 and stayed from 166-70 since then. all vitals good except taking the lowest dose of bp medicine..
    Went from about 28 percent body fat to 23.. .
    I always exercised but change diet from lots of red meat to fruits and vegetables using chicken and turkey as meats.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Lost about 16kg in 2011 and dropped two dress sizes.

By 2013 I'd slowly regained about 6 kg but I'm more or less maintaining as my dress size is still those two sizes lower.

I exercise more routinely than prior to 2011 and take care with portion sizes as well as ensuring my diet is balanced (though I eat and drink unhealthy as well as healthy)

I'll be happy to drop a few kilo but it's more about body composition for me.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    This is mental, not physical. People gain the weight back because once they reach their goal, they assume that they're "done," and they stop trying to progress toward something, or they gradually fall back into their old eating habits because they stop tracking and they tell themselves "it's okay for me to eat like this more often because I'm not trying to lose weight anymore."

Do you know how easy it is to gain 20 lbs in a year? You'd only have to overeat by about 200 calories per day, on average. That is frighteningly easy to do, and I think after people struggle for so long to lose the last 10 lbs or so, they lull themselves into thinking that gaining it back will be just as slow and difficult. But if you like to eat, it's not difficult at all.
  • iDuchaine
    iDuchaine Posts: 12 Member
    I kept off 50 pounds for 4 years, looking to lose about 20 more now. It wasn't that hard.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Got down to 112 from 130-ish back in 2008. Got pregnant in 2010, was back under 110 within five months of my daughter's birth. Still hovering around 108. Not really sure I have a "secret" to maintaining other than I am mindful of what I eat and drink 80% of the time. I have plenty of days where I go waaay over my calories (thank you, peanut butter and M & Ms). I think during my weight loss phase I learned to really like a lot of different healthy foods and learned how to prepare certain foods in a healthier manner. I never really feel like I'm having to try that hard.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    This is mental, not physical. People gain the weight back because once they reach their goal, they assume that they're "done," and they stop trying to progress toward something, or they gradually fall back into their old eating habits because they stop tracking and they tell themselves "it's okay for me to eat like this more often because I'm not trying to lose weight anymore."

Do you know how easy it is to gain 20 lbs in a year? You'd only have to overeat by about 200 calories per day, on average. That is frighteningly easy to do, and I think after people struggle for so long to lose the last 10 lbs or so, they lull themselves into thinking that gaining it back will be just as slow and difficult. But if you like to eat, it's not difficult at all.

She nailed it!

I lost 100 and kept it off for two years.

Gained back the 20 when I tore a muscle and couldn't run and didn't readjust my calories accordingly.

You have to constantly work on it, even when you are "finished"

Gaining back is ridiculously easy if you don't.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member

She nailed it!

I lost 100 and kept it off for two years.

Gained back the 20 when I tore a muscle and couldn't run and didn't readjust my calories accordingly.

You have to constantly work on it, even when you are "finished"

Gaining back is ridiculously easy if you don't.
  • aportz
    aportz Posts: 12 Member
    I lost 40 pounds my last year of college (28 years ago!). I took a class called "Fitness for Living." I quit smoking, learned about nutrition, logged my calories and exercised. I've not only kept the weight off, but have lost an additional 10 over the years. I've kept it off by focusing on good nutrition and maintaining where I'm at. Those first few years are the toughest. You really want to think the diet is "over." You have to come to terms with the fact that the diet is never over. You need to change your eating habits forever. It might sounds depressing, but it's really not. There is so much good nutritional food out there. You just find ways to treat yourself. You're also realistic. You need to find the weight/body size you are comfortable with and stay there. I don't have the frame to be a model, few of us do. I've made peace with it. I will never have really low body fat or be totally "ripped." Sorry, I have a life and other interests besides working out 24/7.

I was a "fat" child. My kids have struggled with their weight. We try to remove the onus from discussions about weight. I tell them managing your weight is the same as brushing your teeth or combing your hair. These are things you do to take care of yourself. We like to eat in our family. It's nothing to be ashamed of. All things in moderation. We read labels and discuss options.

Lift weights! It was a game changer for me. While I weigh the same as I did all those years ago, I am much stronger, smaller and in better condition. Incorporate fitness in your life. Take regular walks with your family. Play with your kids (if and when you have them). If not your kids, play with your friends. Play tennis, basketball, soccer, volleyball or whatever. Be active and quit watching so much T.V. (god knows there is NOTHING on). Keep an eye on your weight. Never fall into the trap of "oh it's only a few pounds." If you gain a few, lose a few.

Good luck to all. If I can do it, you can too!!!!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Note that if you click through to the actual study and then click again to get the methods, you will find this:
    Study Design
    Weight-Loss Phase
    For 8 weeks, participants were instructed to replace all three of their daily meals with a very-low-energy dietary formulation (Optifast VLCD, Nestlé) and 2 cups of low-starch vegetables, according to the manufacturer's guidelines, which provided 2.1 to 2.3 MJ (500 to 550 kcal) per day. During weeks 9 and 10, participants who had lost 10% or more of their initial body weight were gradually reintroduced to ordinary foods, and weight was stabilized to avoid the potential confounding effect of active weight loss on hormone profiles. Meal replacements were stopped at the end of week 10.

So this was a study on intense short term VLCD. The bloggers comparison to WW is inaccurate IMO. I am not defending WW, just saying this particular attack is unwarranted. It may also makes the results of the study a lot less relevant to the general population.

ETA - I just copied/pasted my post as a reply to the blog that is now awaiting moderation. Will be interesting to see if the blogger allows it...
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    I've kept it off by being vigilant about gaining weight, something I never did before. If my clothes got tight before, I'd just go buy bigger stuff. Now I get right back on track. I don't starve, so I have no advice for avoiding hunger pangs all the time. I also don't restrict any foods and I don't stick to ridiculously tiny portions that are just a tease :smile: I do intermittent fasting to help me maintain, and on my 'eat' days during the week I eat around 1800, and on weekends I eat whatever the heck I want and don't log. I'm sure some days I'll hit 5k calories of what most people would call junk food. Drinking 100+ ounces of water a day to avoid sodium bloat. And of course excercise doesn't hurt. Right now I'm doing minimal cardio, lifting heavy, and going to a body pump-style class at my Y three times a week.
  • VoooV
    VoooV Posts: 1 Member
    I lost my weight (50 lbs) about two years ago. I've gained a little back, but that's why I am back with MFP to turn that around and keep the weight off. I tell people I put on the 10 lbs because I quit smoking, but really it was just laziness. I knew I was eating the wrong things and eating too much and I just didn't care. But I already donated all my fat clothes to charity, so when the pants started getting tight it was time to stop being lazy and do what I had learned how to do before. Getting fat the first time I can blame on ignorance, but now that I've learned how to eat right and have done it successfully, there's no excuse for going back. Maybe my hormones are still unbalanced compared to others, but I still control them not the other way round.
  • Started at 306 lbs (sz 26/28)

Currently 205 (was down to 189 last year.. did some slacking and I am working on it again)

However I have successfully kept off over 100 lbs for 2 years.

Currently 205 (size 16).

Yes, I still have 65lbs to lose to my personal goal - I will get there!

... How?

- Got rid of emotional baggage (ex)
    - Increased activity
    - Started cooking / baking at home.
    - In beginning before I moved, changed route to work so I didn't pass 10 fast food restaurants 2x a day.
    (no self control in the beginning).
    - I did things gradually and only things I could see myself doing long term.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    People have a plan a goal weight...they get to that weight then think they are safe. But what happens when you hit that goal weight? You still have to keep doing what you are doing. That's why it's a lifestyle change not a diet. It's about moderation and not deprivation. I always encourage people to eat what they want to when losing weight, just don't eat a dozen of what they want to. I encourage people not to cut out carbs. Because whatever path you choose, it has to be sustainable for the rest of your life.

I've lost this weight 2x before, and both times, I actually kept it off for 7 years. This time is different though. I did make it a lifestyle change and will continue to workout after I hit my goal. I've learned how to deal with my comfort eating/drinking and won't let myself go back down that road.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    This has probably already been said but I didn't have time yet to skim the whole topic.

People who gain the weight back went on a diet.

People who keep the weight off made a lifestyle change.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    I have kept mine off almost exactly two years, and am at the low end of my BMI at 18.5.

I know our experiences differ vastly, but if I were to base it solely upon my own, I would say this article is utter horse sh**.

The reason I was overweight was because my diet was terrible. I cleaned it up, reduced my portion sizes, increased my fruit and veggie intake, and guess what! This is freaking easy to maintain.

The only purpose articles like this serve is to be an excuse or a crutch for someone who doesn't want to put in the work.

I agree/disagree. I'm with you in that I'm overweight because I work at a desk and I ate really crappy foods in really giant portions.

But I disagree that the article isn't accurate, at least so far as it's quoting science. I don't know about the 95% statistic, but this would be like me saying, "I didn't have X, Y, and Z health problems from my weight, so really, there's no health problem with being fat." (That, actually, is pretty much my only issue with the linked blog. I'm generally a fan of the author. )

Which isn't to say that you should be really proud of yourself! That your maintaining and comfortable is awesome! :D I'm really impressed with everyone in this thread. You guys are great!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    I have kept mine off almost exactly two years, and am at the low end of my BMI at 18.5.

I know our experiences differ vastly, but if I were to base it solely upon my own, I would say this article is utter horse sh**.

The reason I was overweight was because my diet was terrible. I cleaned it up, reduced my portion sizes, increased my fruit and veggie intake, and guess what! This is freaking easy to maintain.

The only purpose articles like this serve is to be an excuse or a crutch for someone who doesn't want to put in the work.

I agree/disagree. I'm with you in that I'm overweight because I work at a desk and I ate really crappy foods in really giant portions.

But I disagree that the article isn't accurate, at least so far as it's quoting science. I don't know about the 95% statistic, but this would be like me saying, "I didn't have X, Y, and Z health problems from my weight, so really, there's no health problem with being fat." (That, actually, is pretty much my only issue with the linked blog. I'm generally a fan of the author. )

Which isn't to say that you should be really proud of yourself! That your maintaining and comfortable is awesome! :D I'm really impressed with everyone in this thread. You guys are great!
    "Quoting science" - well, sort of. If you click through the links, the study was about people given a diet of under 550 calories for 10 weeks. That didn't stick? What a shock!