who has kept weight off for 2 years

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This has probably already been said but I didn't have time yet to skim the whole topic.

People who gain the weight back went on a diet.

People who keep the weight off made a lifestyle change.
    I agree. I do wonder often when folks say they've made a lifestyle change and that they are *only* counting and measuring, if that will work out for them in the end.
    In other words, is counting and measuring a lifestyle that's sustainable? Time will tell.

I went on a diet, and in the process learned how to eat. That way of eating became my way of eating for life. (I was already active).
    But I was on a diet for 3 months while trying to lose weight.
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am down ~50lbs from my heavy weight in 2008, so I have maintained for around 5 years now. While I do occasionally cycle up around 10lbs (um, holidays!), as soon as my clothes start to get tight I reign it back in and drop again (plus, fluctuations are always going to happen).

I now manage my portions and make exercise a regular part of my life. If anyone wants more details, feel free to message me!
  • scottgobuck
    scottgobuck Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just hit 2 years not too long ago, went from 315 to 195, currently maintaining between 198-202 depending on the day but have put on a lot of muscle, body fat is about 12-13% right now. I am old but very competitive so I run in a lot of races and duathlons to keep my juices flowing. Someone else already mentioned it buts its my life now, anyone can diet and lose weight but you have to change your life style to keep it off
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I started losing in 2008.

Bereavement in 2009 stopped progress for 1 year.

Resumed losing in summer of 2010, reached goal weight October of 2011.

Maintaining within ~10 lbs of goal weight for the last 2 years.
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I've weighed the same give or take one lb for a year and a half.

ETA: I originally lost 25(ish) lbs
  • todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I lost 78 pounds before finding mfp.....add my ticker below and well that's 106 total so far and still trying to lose more.....it will be three years in October since I made the decision to change.....
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Two years in April for me...I am just NOT going back, if I have to log food and exercise for the rest of my life! Besides, MFP is great--all the cool kids are here!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    According to my notes, I started in July 2009. So it's been 4+ years now.
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Lost it all, kept it off for one day, gained it all back.

I'm motivated for a new push to lose it all, I'm just really wondering about the "goal weight" lifestyle. That is the spot where new stuff happens that I don't do while big, or while losing, it is a different me than I know.
  • Stephy0519
    Stephy0519 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm a new poster =-)

I've stayed within the same 6 lb range for over 2 years. I fluctuate based on bloat and muscle....Went from 186 (YIKES) to 139 to 145 (current). I'm currently a 2-4 depending on brand of clothes...was a 12/14 at 186. I'm 5'6...my body likes it's muscle =-)

I love reading everyone's posts on here....so motivating!
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    The before (2 years ago)...the after (this month)

10i8pye.jpg

DISCIPLINE is the key...in my opinion.

8488541.png
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have kept the weight off for 2.25 years now. I'm currently trying to lose another 10. One of the reasons I decided to lose a little more is that I have lost and kept it off this long before. More than once, in fact. And I can feel that old lethargy trying to rear its ugly head. So, a new goal is in order. And a couple of fitness challenges as well.

I battle the lazy b**** inside all the friggin' time. She is very persistent.
  • erins31
    erins31 Posts: 1
    Options
    I KEEP IT OFF
  • ril0riley
    ril0riley Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The evidence that exists shows that almost everyone fails at long term weight loss (yes Virginia, even the National Weight Control Registry. In fact, especially the NWCR!) I will never cease to be amazed at people who insist that it’s just that almost everyone does it wrong. That’s like saying that, since some people survive jumping out of planes when their parachutes don’t open, almost everyone who dies in such a circumstance is just falling wrong.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: the truth is the almost everyone can lose weight short term on almost any program, and almost everyone gains their weight back long-term even if they are able to maintain their diet behaviors, with many people gaining back more than they lost.

I hope everyone here can recognize this for the defeatist claptrap that it is. At best this is grasping for flimsy validation for the fat acceptance movement.
    A majority of people gain back a good amount of weight because they abandon the "diets" that got them there in the first place. The body does not magically start producing fat out of nothing.
    Here's an analogy I like better. Claiming that weight loss is an empty pursuit because a majority of people fall back into their old habits is like saying condoms don't work for preventing pregnancy because you lack the willpower to actually wear them
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    bump
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I initiated my lifestyle changes in May 2011 . Someone already said it: I'm not on a diet, I'm living life a new way. I've been on many diets in the past, since I was 16. This is it! I won't be part of THAT statistic again.
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Well that's new information to me! Thanks for sharing.

I started losing August 2011, met my goal in May 2012. It's now August 2013 and I'm still about the same weight I was when I hit goal. I did lose another few pounds after hitting my goal in May 2012 but then went back up because I wasn't "caring" as much about what I ate. I want to say I tracked my food 75-80% of the time but kind of slacked--ok really slacked some days. Anyway, I know I'll be fine if I keep up my GOOD habits I acquired during my loss if I continue them now. I'm trying real hard to stay on track and eat better to fix my mistakes these past two months. I'll definitely try my damnest to continue to maintain this hard work! I certainly can't afford a wardrobe change in the opposite direction. I'm still trying to recuperate my wardrobe from all those "fat" clothes I dumped a while back :wink:
  • JeanneTops
    JeanneTops Posts: 2,594 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh 60% more than I do now. It took me 18 months to lose it and I've kept it off for two years. I've lost this weight at least twice before and started regaining it within six months. I believe I can beat the stats this time.

Here's how I did it: I skipped the diet and started on maintenance from Day One. It wasn't too hard to lose weight when I was eating and working out to maintain a body weight that was 90 pounds less than where I was. Changing how I was eating and working out was the hard part.

Yes, it's a "lifestyle change" but I think that means two things:

1) It is incredibly hard to change your lifestyle. Changing your lifestyle affects every single thing you do every day for years. It can affect your relationship with your family, your kids, your spouse, your parents, your friends, your co-workers, with everybody you know. It affects day-to-day living, holidays, vacations, your job, your recreational choices and how you get through the all the ups and downs of life. It takes a lot of time, effort and emotional energy. It doesn't even mean your life will be totally better - some parts may get worse. And, on top of that, you have to change your mind-set. You have to develop a new self-image of who you are, how you behave and how you react to the ups and downs of life. Finally, changing your lifestyle takes a lot longer than losing weight. You'll have lost all the weight long before you'll have sorted out all of the lifestyle change.

2) There's about zero research or advice or help on how to change your lifestyle. The two things I tell people are: don't do anything you don't think you can do for the rest of your life and get a support group. Because if you don't think you can keep it up, you won't. That means slow, incremental changes. That means patience, persistence and perseverance. That means people who will help you through it all.

Finally, maintenance isn't all one way of doing something. It isn't "how many calories should I eat?" Maybe at the beginning, but after a while it's "How am I going to maintain while .... (I'm unemployed, I'm having a baby, I'm getting a divorce, I'm getting married, I'm moving, I'm changing jobs, I'm injured, I'm going through menopause, I'm getting older, there will always be something new to fill in the blank.)

Jeanne
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Over 50, close to 7 years now. Learned more about body composition n the last couple, and that has made maintaining even better. As has MFP!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    ,,, In my experience this is where a lot of people go wrong - they abandon all the tools they used to lose the weight learned as soon as they get to where they want to be.
    ^^ This! ^^
    It's a lifestyle change, not a "diet." Why would anyone assume a different outcome by doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome?