Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Diet Soda

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    My mom has kidney issues and her friend who is a nurse said no soda, including diet. This sounded like baloney so I looked it it up and lo and behold a study found that diet soda drinkers had an increased risk of kidney failure. I’m suspecting the issue is with replacing water with soda rather than just drinking soda, but it seems to be a real thing. Something to consider.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,945 Member
    My mom has kidney issues and her friend who is a nurse said no soda, including diet. This sounded like baloney so I looked it it up and lo and behold a study found that diet soda drinkers had an increased risk of kidney failure. I’m suspecting the issue is with replacing water with soda rather than just drinking soda, but it seems to be a real thing. Something to consider.

Interesting. I’d love to read the study.
    Curious to know if it’s correlation or causation. Or a mix.
    And curious if they’re also looking at sparkling waters.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    There are 30 mg of sodium in a cup of fresh -ie not processed- in unseasoned raw broccoli. There is sodium in air. Its easy to do and people need to be aware, but should also be aware it is not just an additive. It is a naturally occurring mineral. Diet coke has less sodium by volume than broccoli. It is literally in EVERYTHING.

Not any of disputing this.

But when you’re on a low sodium diet it is a factor. That’s all I am saying.

The sparkling water we drink at home has zero sodium. My husband has six or more a day. No worries.
    If he had six of his favorite diet sodas that would be anywhere from almost a quarter to fully half his sodium load for the day.
    It’s a factor for some people to keep in mind. That’s all I am saying.

If you’re not on a low sodium diet then 30 or 40 mg is no big deal. I think we all are in agreement on that point.

You said tap water has zero sodium. Where do you live that the taps deliver sparkling water? Do you find the carbonation level is consistent?
  • MargaretYakoda
    edited August 2021
    There are 30 mg of sodium in a cup of fresh -ie not processed- in unseasoned raw broccoli. There is sodium in air. Its easy to do and people need to be aware, but should also be aware it is not just an additive. It is a naturally occurring mineral. Diet coke has less sodium by volume than broccoli. It is literally in EVERYTHING.

Not any of disputing this.

But when you’re on a low sodium diet it is a factor. That’s all I am saying.

The sparkling water we drink at home has zero sodium. My husband has six or more a day. No worries.
    If he had six of his favorite diet sodas that would be anywhere from almost a quarter to fully half his sodium load for the day.
    It’s a factor for some people to keep in mind. That’s all I am saying.

If you’re not on a low sodium diet then 30 or 40 mg is no big deal. I think we all are in agreement on that point.

You said tap water has zero sodium. Where do you live that the taps deliver sparkling water? Do you find the carbonation level is consistent?

I am rural. And our water is pretty much free of most contaminants. A little arsenic but well below EPA standards.

That’s all that’s in our local PUD report.

The original discussion was about diet sodas.
    I commented that people who are on a low sodium diet do need to count the sodium in diet sodas. I did not know that some water systems have sodium in the water, and it wasn’t me who brought up tap water.

The fact that some tap water has sodium in it changes nothing about my original point.

I do concede the point that some municipal water, and some wells, do have sodium.
    But again, that doesn’t change my original and very clear point.

People on low sodium diets do have to pay attention to how much sodium is in diet sodas.

At no point did I say diet soda should be avoided.

I am confused by your question about consistent carbonation level. Do you mean the carbonation in the sparkling waters?
    Yes. It’s commercially produced sparkling water. It’s not a home carbonation unit.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,216 Member
    Point was that sparkling water ie bottled water, is not tap water.

You claimed tap water has zero sodium - that is not so.
  • paperpudding
    https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/15426-sodium-controlled-diet

Seems reputable source

No mention of avoiding soda.

Happy to see other sources saying that if you want to post them.

Are you saying that if there’s 100 mg of sodium in a can of Diet Dr Pepper it disappears because the Cleveland Clinic didn’t mention it?

Or that my husband’s cardiologist is wrong to have said to be careful of diet sodas?

Dr Pepper may be an outlier, I dont know.

But popular sodas like pepsi max etc dont have high sodium intake - their own labels verify this.

And, yes, I am saying if official sources don't mention diet sodas as something to avoid in low sodium diets then sodas are not something that needs avoiding on low sodium diets.

It wasnt just Cleveland Clinic - there was no mention in any of the sources I found.

Happy for you to post any reputable sources saying otherwise.

'Learn to read food labels' is general advice - that isn't naming anything specific to avoid.

Quite a long list of specific things were mentioned in every source I looked at - you would expect diet soda to be on there if it was a risk food

Anecdotal 'My doctor said' - isnt a verifiable source - as we have seen on this forum many times, doctors say incorrect things, people misunderstand etc

I literally am reading the labels. Exactly like what the article you shared said to do.
    And at no point have I said “avoid diet sodas”
    The topic is diet sodas.
    I merely said to be sure to take the sodium level into consideration if you’re on a low sodium diet. Drink them if they’re in your sodium budget. Absolutely. Nothing wrong with that. Never said there was.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with what I have said. It’s bizarre that you keep misinterpreting me.

What part am I misinterpreting??

I did not say you posted that everyone should avoid diet soda.

You did say people on low sodium diets should ' take the sodium level into consideration' - whereas diet or regular sodas are not at all high in sodium, and there is no evidence that they are an item of concern to those on low sodium diets.

At least no evidence I can find.

Happy to read such evidence if you want to post it.

• MargaretYakoda
    edited August 2021
    At our house the problem with diet sodas is the sodium some have.
    Occasionally, figured into the daily sodium count, my husband enjoys a Diet Coke or a root beer.
    This would not be a concern for people who don’t have a need to limit their sodium intake.

Typically we go through 12 to 18 cans of fizzy water daily, though. That’s between three to five people, depending on who’s home, plus any company.

Which ones have high sodium content??

This issue has been brought up before and nutrition labels of popular sodas have not been any higher in sodium than most other beverages, including tap water.

My one and only original point was that people on low sodium diets need to pay attention to the sodium in diet sodas.

Obviously, if there is sodium in their local tap water these people also need to pay attention to that A fact that changes absolutely nothing about my original point, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact I was ill informed about the existence of sodium in some tap water.

Again. If someone on a low sodium diet wants a diet soda, and is able to fit it into their daily sodium budget? As we have done for years and years in my family? Have at. Enjoy.

I am seriously puzzled about why you are disputing this.
  • MargaretYakoda
    https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/15426-sodium-controlled-diet

Seems reputable source

No mention of avoiding soda.

Happy to see other sources saying that if you want to post them.

Are you saying that if there’s 100 mg of sodium in a can of Diet Dr Pepper it disappears because the Cleveland Clinic didn’t mention it?

Or that my husband’s cardiologist is wrong to have said to be careful of diet sodas?

Dr Pepper may be an outlier, I dont know.

But popular sodas like pepsi max etc dont have high sodium intake - their own labels verify this.

And, yes, I am saying if official sources don't mention diet sodas as something to avoid in low sodium diets then sodas are not something that needs avoiding on low sodium diets.

It wasnt just Cleveland Clinic - there was no mention in any of the sources I found.

Happy for you to post any reputable sources saying otherwise.

'Learn to read food labels' is general advice - that isn't naming anything specific to avoid.

Quite a long list of specific things were mentioned in every source I looked at - you would expect diet soda to be on there if it was a risk food

Anecdotal 'My doctor said' - isnt a verifiable source - as we have seen on this forum many times, doctors say incorrect things, people misunderstand etc

I literally am reading the labels. Exactly like what the article you shared said to do.
    And at no point have I said “avoid diet sodas”
    The topic is diet sodas.
    I merely said to be sure to take the sodium level into consideration if you’re on a low sodium diet. Drink them if they’re in your sodium budget. Absolutely. Nothing wrong with that. Never said there was.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with what I have said. It’s bizarre that you keep misinterpreting me.

What part am I misinterpreting??

I did not say you posted that everyone should avoid diet soda.

You did say people on low sodium diets should ' take the sodium level into consideration' - whereas diet or regular sodas are not at all high in sodium, and there is no evidence that they are an item of concern to those on low sodium diets.

At least no evidence I can find.

Happy to read such evidence if you want to post it.

Oh for PETEs Sake.

Diet sodas have sodium. It’s right on the nutritional label.

2en3ruoepoik.jpeg

Diet Dr Pepper.
    65 mg.

Times the three or four a day my husband would drink if he were allowed as many as he wished in one day? That’s a chunk of sodium for someone with heart disease.

Which is something that needs to be considered if you are someone who medically needs to keep their sodium intake low.

This was not ever meant to be me saying don’t drink diet sodas, or that 65 mg of sodium is a lot for the average healthy adult.

Drink it if it’s something you like. If you need to count sodium, count it.

Also? The topic of conversation was diet soda not tap water or sugared sodas.
  • paperpudding
    Of course they have sodium- nearly everything does.

And it seems Dr Pepper has more than most.

Most have barely any more than tap water - and although the topic was not tap water, comparing to such seems relevant comparison.
    Not a food item of concern to those on a low sodium diet and not on any lists of things to avoid on a low sodium diet.

I am disputing what you are saying because it is incorrect - although I am happy to read any reputable sources saying otherwise.

• MargaretYakoda
    Of course they have sodium- nearly everything does.

And it seems Dr Pepper has more than most.

Most have barely any more than tap water - and although the topic was not tap water, comparing to such seems relevant comparison.
    Not a food item of concern to those on a low sodium diet and not on any lists of things to avoid on a low sodium diet.

I am disputing what you are saying because it is incorrect - although I am happy to read any reputable sources saying otherwise.

What I am saying is that for people who are on low sodium diet the amount of sodium in any diet soda they choose to consume should be included in their daily sodium budget.
    Just the same as anything else they consume
    There is absolutely nothing incorrect about this statement. And it is bizarre that you think I’m wrong about this very basic statement.
  • paperpudding
    I find it bizarre that you continue posting as if diet sodas have anywhere near enough sodium to be an item of concern to people on low sodium diets, , despite them not being listed as so on any recomdndations of things to avoid on a low sodium diet and there being no evidence to support your assertion.
  • MargaretYakoda
    edited August 2021
    I find it bizarre that you continue posting as if diet sodas have anywhere near enough sodium to be an item of concern to people on low sodium diets, , despite them not being listed as so on any recomdndations of things to avoid on a low sodium diet and there being no evidence to support your assertion.

Cool beans.

1 (might)=40 mg
    2 - 80mg
    3 - 120
    4 - not at all an unusual number of cans of soda a day for one person - 160
    5 - 200
    6 - 240

A certain well known US politician - 12 cans a day - 480 mg sodium.

I’m not sure my point here is obvious to you, but nevertheless, it remains valid.
  • paperpudding
    No it isnt - it is as valid as going into thread on cucumber or oranges or broccoli or tap water or any other food/drink not an item of concern for people on low sodium diets and then saying But if you consumed x amount.....

But I am leaving this here, tangent has run its course.
  • WailingDusk
    WailingDusk Posts: 58 Member
    Everything in moderation. EVERYTHING. Even diet soda. It's still pretty acidic and can be bad for your teeth.

I don't drink soda, but I do have flavored seltzer water like la croix now and then, but not often enough that it replaces just regular water. It's mostly water with lemon, plain hot tea and black coffee (which I need to cut back on).
  • coryhart4389
    coryhart4389 Posts: 73 Member
    I have been considering giving up diet soda and artificial sweeteners(Fresca) because of potential health benefits. Glad I found this post. I have been drinking Fresca since about 1986 when trying to lose weight for wrestling. Somedays I drink a 2 liter per day going on 35 years with no noticable effects. Will just keep doing what I'm doing and enjoying my Fresca.....🙂
  • FinntheVeggie
    FinntheVeggie Posts: 74 Member
    Take it from someone who has sometimes needed to eat low sodium - when you are counting it, you count everything. Just like calories, huh? Just because something has a low or moderate amount of calories, or "isn't included in a list of high calorie foods" doesn't mean you wouldn't log it....so yeah, if you drink multiple cans per day, this could be a concern.

I don't love the taste of them honestly, but every once in a while they really hit the spot. I like cherry coke zero the best, I tend to keep a box of them around but I only go through a twelve back every few months. Like people have been pointing out, a lot of the drawbacks (re: acidity) are probably about the same as a regular soda. I like to keep a few cans of regular around too for when the mood strikes.
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    I don't drink diet soda at all. It tastes excessively sweet to me. I prefer flavored sparkling water (mostly the S.Pellegrino essenza brand). Sometimes I drink Gentleman Jack with regular coke in the winter but it's generally only 2-3oz of coke to a standard shot.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Take it from someone who has sometimes needed to eat low sodium - when you are counting it, you count everything. Just like calories, huh? Just because something has a low or moderate amount of calories, or "isn't included in a list of high calorie foods" doesn't mean you wouldn't log it....so yeah, if you drink multiple cans per day, this could be a concern.

I don't love the taste of them honestly, but every once in a while they really hit the spot. I like cherry coke zero the best, I tend to keep a box of them around but I only go through a twelve back every few months. Like people have been pointing out, a lot of the drawbacks (re: acidity) are probably about the same as a regular soda. I like to keep a few cans of regular around too for when the mood strikes.

Thank you!
    And ya. That was my one and only point.