Healthy food avoider! Help!

Hey everyone,
I’m struggling as I suffer from being allergic to most fruit, and subsequently a fear of a lot of vegetables. Any tips on snacks? Carbs and protein based eating?

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    It's since been locked but there was recently a discussion thread surrounding an essay someone wrote about how vegetables are not necessary - if you look you might be able to find it before it gets deleted. You'll probably want to work with your doctor and a registered dietitian to figure out supplements that are safe for you, depending on the nature of your allergy(/ies), because if you avoid most plant-based foods you are going to have a hard time getting enough fiber and enough of certain micronutrients (mostly vitamins).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    It's since been locked but there was recently a discussion thread surrounding an essay someone wrote about how vegetables are not necessary - if you look you might be able to find it before it gets deleted. You'll probably want to work with your doctor and a registered dietitian to figure out supplements that are safe for you, depending on the nature of your allergy(/ies), because if you avoid most plant-based foods you are going to have a hard time getting enough fiber and enough of certain micronutrients (mostly vitamins).

It's now not locked, but has been moved to the Debate section. I'd link it, but I'm on a device where that's difficult.
  • futuresylph
    futuresylph Posts: 2,178 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It's now not locked, but has been moved to the Debate section. I'd link it, but I'm on a device where that's difficult.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10839030/an-essay-on-why-eating-vegetables-is-not-necessary-for-health
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Hey everyone,
    I’m struggling as I suffer from being allergic to most fruit, and subsequently a fear of a lot of vegetables. Any tips on snacks? Carbs and protein based eating?

Do you have Pollen Food Allergy Syndrome (PFAS), also known as oral allergy syndrome? This makes people unable to eat RAW fruit, but they are usually able to eat COOKED fruit. I learned about this here on MFP:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/315748/allergic-to-fruits/p1

This might have some good advice for you:

https://acaai.org/allergies/types/food-allergies/types-food-allergy/oral-allergy-syndrome

Pollen Food Allergy Syndrome (PFAS), also known as oral allergy syndrome, is caused by cross-reacting allergens found in both pollen and raw fruits, vegetables, or some tree nuts. The immune system recognizes the pollen and similar proteins in the food and directs an allergic response to it.

People affected by PFAS can usually eat the same fruits or vegetables in cooked form because the proteins are distorted during the heating process, and the immune system no longer recognizes the food.